Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are inertial and non-inertial frames assymetrical?

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    When neglecting gravity and body size, if a body rotating at uniform angular velocity about a central body sends a light signal to the central body, the central body will receive the wavelength as longer by [itex]1/γ[/itex]. Conversely, if the central body sends a signal to the rotating body, the rotating body will receive the wavelength as [itex]γ[/itex] times shorter. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2014 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The wavelength is longer but I would say by [itex]γ[/itex] times. Or you could say the frequency of the light is slower by a factor of [itex]1/γ[/itex].

Again, it is shorter but I would say by [itex]1/γ[/itex] times and the frequency is [itex]γ[/itex] times faster.

But this may just be semantics.

4. Aug 12, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Didn't we already talk about this exact same thing in a previous thread of yours? You asked literally the same question in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=762176 and got the same answer ghwellsjr gave you above.

5. Aug 12, 2014 #4
    I see your point about the semantics, but essentially we are in agreement.

[EDIT] I began with [itex]γ=(1-v/c)^{1/2}[/itex] for an instant of angular velocity, then [itex]f_{orbit}=f_{central}/γ[/itex], which is simply [itex]1/γ[/itex]
    Using [itex]c=fλ[/itex]
    we get Orbit's view of light as [itex]c=(1/γ*f)(γλ)[/itex]
    And the reciprocal is Central's view of light [itex]c=(γf)(1/γ*λ)[/itex]

Yes but... it was the last question I posted on that thread and I didn’t receive your reply. You implicitly answered it earlier in a very detailed (and for me complicated) way, which I took as agreement. Indeed my last question there was also rather longwinded. So I condensed the question (without all the equations) to seek clarification and confirmation.

If ghwellsjr is correct then it satisfies me and this thread may be closed.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook