Are IQ Tests Valid for Measuring Intelligence?

• News
  • Thread starter Frenemy90210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation discusses whether practice improves IQ scores and if IQ tests are valid. It is mentioned that taking the same test multiple times may improve scores, but this does not mean that IQ is increasing with each test. The purpose and validity of IQ tests are also questioned, with some stating that they are useful for identifying developmental disorders, while others argue that real-life accomplishments are more important. The conversation also advises against taking online IQ tests too seriously, as they are only games and should not affect one's self-esteem.
Frenemy90210
Some of you may have noticed that practice improves IQ score. As one keeps on taking IQ tests, one after the other, IQ score in general keeps improving. Does that mean IQ is increasing with each test ? or are the IQ tests (as they exist currently) valid ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frenemy90210 said:
Some of you may have noticed that practice improves IQ score. As one keeps on taking IQ tests, one after the other, IQ score in general keeps improving. Does that mean IQ is increasing with each test ? or are the IQ tests (as they exist currently) valid ?
In short, no. There have been many theads on the subject here on PF. I suggest a forum search. The links at the bottom of this page are a good place to start.

Here on PF there are tens of thousands of users and hundreds of thousands of threads. It's always a good idea to start with a forum search when you have a question that a small amount of reflection will make you realize that it has very likely been asked before.

Calling @Evo

Likes Evo and fresh_42
Frenemy90210 said:
Some of you may have noticed that practice improves IQ score.
If I take the same test over and over again, this is quite true.
As one keeps on taking IQ tests, one after the other, IQ score in general keeps improving.
Mine generally stays the same. But I only take them about once every 10 years, so I don't think I'm "practicing".
I only take them to make sure I'm not below 100, yet. o0)
Does that mean IQ is increasing with each test ? or are the IQ tests (as they exist currently) valid ?
see Phinds' post.

Likes Evo
Frenemy90210 said:
No, I think this says that the score is not independent on whether you have taken the test before. Still, isn't this true with any test? Now, we can try a separate experiment: prepare for the test _ without taking it_ if there is a (statistically) - significant difference between the two, maybe you can argue that Intelligence ( as implicitly defined) is not a menaingful construct. Notice that IQ/Intelligence are latent constructs and not direct observables, just as is the case with depression, etc. There are only so many different types of questions one may ask in an IQ ( or other type) of test. Knowing the answers in advance will undoubtedly affect your score.

Likes Evo
First, you are talking about reliability, not validity.

Second, you need to ask "valid for what purpose". In identifying the presence and severity of developmental disorders, IQ tests play an important role. In providing fodder for bragging rights "Mine is a whole point higher than yours!" it's pure silliness. And in real life, accomplishments matter more than test scores.

Likes QuantumQuest
Vanadium 50 said:
First, you are talking about reliability, not validity.

Second, you need to ask "valid for what purpose". In identifying the presence and severity of developmental disorders, IQ tests play an important role. In providing fodder for bragging rights "Mine is a whole point higher than yours!" it's pure silliness. And in real life, accomplishments matter more than test scores.
V50 is correct, IQ tests were created to identify learning/develpmental disorders. When given by a certified psychologist testing for these disorders, they can be useful in getting appropriate help for the disabled person.

If you want to take these tests for fun, remember, these online tests amount to nothing more than games. If they make you feel good, great, if you don't score well, remember, they're online games. Don't let it bother you.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto and QuantumQuest

1. What is an IQ test and how is it used?

An IQ test is a standardized assessment used to measure an individual's cognitive abilities, particularly in areas such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and memory. It is often used as a tool for predicting academic and career success.

2. How are IQ tests scored?

IQ tests are typically scored on a scale of 0-200, with 100 being the average score. The score is determined by comparing an individual's performance on the test to a normative sample of the same age group.

3. Are IQ tests biased?

There is ongoing debate about the potential biases present in IQ tests. Some argue that cultural and socioeconomic factors can impact an individual's performance on the test, while others argue that the tests are designed to be culturally fair.

4. Can IQ scores change over time?

IQ scores are generally considered to be relatively stable over time for adults. However, there is evidence to suggest that IQ scores can change during childhood and adolescence due to factors such as environmental influences and educational opportunities.

5. Are IQ tests the only measure of intelligence?

No, IQ tests are just one tool used to measure intelligence. There are many other factors that contribute to a person's overall intelligence, such as emotional intelligence, creativity, and practical skills.