Are lasers worth studying for neurosurgery and artificial intelligence?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on which graduate program to choose. They are considering a M.S. program that focuses on fiber laser applications, ultrafast optics, and neurosurgery, with a professor who uses a non-linear approach. They are interested in neuroscience, robotics, and artificial intelligence and wondering if this program would be beneficial for their future studies. Another person with similar interests is also interested in how optics can relate to neuroscience.
coumineol
Hi everyone,

I am a little bit undecided about which way to take for grad study. Maybe you can give me some advice.

The professor that I am planning to study with in a M.S. program (supposed to last for 3 yrs) fiber laser applications, ultrafast optics and neurosurgery. In my interview one thing that especially drew my attention was him using a non-linear approach in his studies.

Now I'm a neuroscience lover who is also into robotics and artificial intelligence. Do you think it is worth it? Can this program provide me a good basis for my future studies?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have very similar interests (optics/lasers and neural engineering) and I too would like to hear how optics can tie into neuroscience.

1. What are the practical applications of studying lasers?

Studying lasers has a wide range of practical applications in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, manufacturing, and research. Lasers are used in surgeries, laser printers, barcode scanners, and even in military weapons.

2. How difficult is it to study lasers?

Studying lasers requires a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering. It can be a challenging subject, but with dedication and hard work, it can be mastered.

3. Are there any job opportunities for those who study lasers?

Yes, there are numerous job opportunities for those who study lasers. Some career options include laser research scientist, laser engineer, laser technician, and laser safety officer.

4. What are the potential advancements in laser technology?

The field of laser technology is constantly evolving, and there are many potential advancements in the future. Some possibilities include faster and more efficient lasers, new laser materials, and applications in quantum computing.

5. Is studying lasers a worthwhile investment for the future?

Yes, studying lasers is a worthwhile investment for the future. As technology continues to advance, the demand for skilled professionals in this field will also increase. Additionally, the knowledge and skills gained from studying lasers can be applied to other fields as well.