Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Are light and time connected?

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    I have always been fascinated with physcics ans sciencefiction sadly i havent had much beyond a highschool course of it, my question isthat ,Everyone knows that lights peed represents the universal speedlimit. And from my understanding it's becuase as you add energy to an object you add the mass of the energy to the object as well. And it scales exponentially or maby the better word would be (asymptoticly) to lightspeed.

Now if we take this well established fact and throw it out the window. And say a hypothetical ship or particle somehow exceeds the speed of light then from the particles point of view everything behind it is the past (or at least is the reflection of the past) time for the particle should be incredibly slowed to the point of being instantaneous from a stationary observer. If the particle continues in motion at a rate 5xc for one year then stops abruptly and waits, has the particle travels 5 years into the past from point of origin? Or is the particle simply seeing the light from 5 years in the past and still in the same time as the people at the point of origin would be?

When I go outside at night and look up at the sky the light I'm seeing from stars is not "live" there is a signal delay between me and the star because of the vastness of space. But that doesn't mean I'm in the past to the actual star does it? Surly not , surly the star Continues to burn right this very second. Or is this not the same concept since I did not exceed the light to get here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2
    Just a thought. I realisedthis might not be possible to answer since our current math says it's impossible to do, like asking what happens when an unmovable object hits an unstoppable force.
    [Mentor's note: Post edited to remove personal theory]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
  4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If you throw that fact out the window you're throwing the laws of physics out the window with it, because you can't have the laws of physics without that fact. So you can't expect the laws of physics to tell you anything about this situation - you're basically asking "What do the laws of physics say in a situation where they don't apply?"

This thread is closed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook