• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I saw this article in today's edition of the Kennebec Journal:

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005

Men's hands dirtier than women's, study says

By LAURAN NEERGAARD

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Men are dirtier than women. So scientists confirmed by spying in public restrooms, watching as one-quarter of men left without washing their hands.

The worst offenders were at an Atlanta Braves game.

In contrast, 90 percent of the women did wash up.

Wednesday's results mark the American Society of Microbiology's latest look at how many people take what is considered the single easiest step to staying healthy: spending 20 seconds rubbing with soap under the faucet.

It also explains why these infection experts tend to use paper towels to open bathroom doors. There is no telling what germs the person before you left on the knob.

''It's a gamble,'' said microbiologist Judy Daly of Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, the society's secretary.

Back in 1996, the society first studied how often people follow mom's advice to always wash up after using the toilet. Researchers lingered in public restrooms, putting on makeup or combing their hair, while surreptitiously counting. They concluded about one-third of people did not wash.

The group sponsored an education campaign about how hand-washing can stop the spread of flu, diarrhea and other infectious diseases. Every few years, researchers repeat the spying.

This time, 83 percent of people washed, reported Harris Interactive, a research company that last month monitored more than 6,300 public restroom users for the society.
For complete article, follow the link:

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/living/health/12712019.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Misleading title :frown:

Lisa!
Gold Member
Yeah, I think they are dirtier! Even mentally.

Why is it necessary to wash ones hands after urinating? Isn't urine sterile? I make a point of touching nothing in a public bathroom, I imagine the faucet handles are quite filthy too.

Evo
Mentor
There can also be blood in urine, which could transmit disease.

As an undergrad I used to work as a janitor.

Women's restrooms were invariably dirtier than men's restrooms.

Can't blame them for washing their hands more.

Lisa! said:
Yeah, I think they are dirtier! Even mentally.
I beg to differ.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
sean1234 said:
Why is it necessary to wash ones hands after urinating? Isn't urine sterile? I make a point of touching nothing in a public bathroom, I imagine the faucet handles are quite filthy too.
Next time you're shaking another guy's hand, say in an off-hand way "I just fondled my penis while urinating, and didn't bother to wash off afterwards, you don't mind that do you?"

You will be a first-hand witness to a very interesting reaction.

Lisa!
Gold Member
Bio-Hazard said:
I beg to differ.
Why? Don't you see the result of the research?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Wow, I'm surprised that they found so many people washing their hands. My guess would have been much lower.
I wash my hands religiously. o:)

Maybe socially it's not desirable, but there is no threat to you if someone goes number 1 doesn't wash their hands, then shakes your hand. It is not something I would desire, but I won't worry about it. Really I would rather shake someones hand who has just fondled his penis, risk that so called contamination over the many other far more undesirables that come in contact with your hand every day.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
sean1234 said:
Why is it necessary to wash ones hands after urinating? Isn't urine sterile?
I would presume if you're male that you're not holding your hand in your urine stream but holding the outside of your penis to direct the urine flow. Also, urine is not sterile if it is passing through an infected bladder or urethra.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Choose for yourself.
If you think the faucet handles are filthy, you might use some toilet paper to open and close them.

arildno said:
Choose for yourself.
If you think the faucet handles are filthy, you might use some toilet paper to open and close them.
How sterile is toilet paper?

I mean it's pretty clean when it rolls off the assembly line, but don't people usually tough the part of the roll that they don't use when ripping off the part that they do use?

Lisa!
Gold Member
I think we should wear gloves when we want to shake someone's hand or perhaps use tissue!

wolram
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
.I wash my hands religiously. o:)
As do i, before and after, not during, hopefully :biggrin:

matthyaouw said:
Misleading title :frown:
You and me both, lets sue for false advertising. :rofl:

honestrosewater
Gold Member
wolram said:
As do i, before and after, not during, hopefully :biggrin:
Before? :confused: Ah, bacon bits are always Robin Hood for a bubble bath.

wolram
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
Before? :confused: Ah, bacon bits are always Robin Hood for a bubble bath.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

arildno said:
Choose for yourself.
I work for the Bureau of Health and that's why this article was of particular interest to me. I know people that won't even touch the handle on the toilet. Instead, they flush the toilet with their shoe. I'm sure this isn't a common practice but some people also take a piece of toilet paper and flush it so their hands don't have to touch the handle. Of course, many office buildings have toilets that flush by themselves.

I realize that there is such a thing as being obsessive about cleanliness but it's better than not using good hygiene practices at all. I've always been diligent about washing my hands and I very rarely get a cold. Years have gone by without my getting a single, solitary cold so I think it helps to wash your hands as often as possible.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
honestrosewater said:
Wow, I wash my hands religiously. o:)
And do you pray to the soap god then?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
selfAdjoint said:
And do you pray to the soap god then?
Yes, for strength - and to the germ god for mercy. Doesn't everyone?

Don't worry honestrosewater. You are not alone. Have you heard the mantra of the Cult of Soap? "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

After looking them up I see they are about 200 pages apart in my dictionary. I wonder what they mean.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Gabrielle said:
I know people that won't even touch the handle on the toilet. Instead, they flush the toilet with their shoe.
I may have to become one of them, now that i know that the stuff from the floor gets put on the handle :yuck:

matthyaouw said:
I may have to become one of them, now that i know that the stuff from the floor gets put on the handle :yuck:
Actually I've used my shoe many times, mostly when using the bathroom in a george webbs or some greasy truck stop.