Are Newton's Laws of physics compatible with thermodynamics?

• I
  • Thread starter Thytanium
  • Start date
Good day friends. I want to know and ask you if Newton's laws are incompatible with thermodynamics.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Good day friends. I want to know and ask you if Newton's laws are incompatible with thermodynamics.
Classical thermodynamics is built on Newton's laws.

Likes russ_watters, vanhees71 and Dale
What a question, haha! I will suggest another question to you that you can look into. How, given the time-symmetric equations of motion in both classical (Newton's physics) and quantum physics, can the arrow of time (thermodynamics) arise?

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
They are compatible. Do you have some reason for thinking they are not?

Likes russ_watters and vanhees71
Nugatory
Mentor
I want to know and ask you if Newton's laws are incompatible with thermodynamics.
Thermodynamics can be derived from Newton's laws using the methods of statistical mechanics so they are unarguably compatible. Perhaps you are asking about the apparent incompatibility because Newton's laws are time-symmetric (there are no irreversible processes) whereas thermodynamic laws are not?

The resolution of this apparent paradox lies in the statistical nature of thermodynamic predictions.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
We could go on and guess what the OP is talking about (Gibbs paradox?) but it would be better for him to tell us.

Likes vanhees71 and Haborix
Ok. Thanks friend PeroK and Haborix and Dale and Nugatory and Vanadium 50. You have clarified all my doubts. My doubts were due to the irreversibility of thermodynamic processes as Nugatory said. I am going to research on the Gibbs paradox friend Vanadium 50. I am very grateful to all of you. Thanks for everything. Good day. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Likes weirdoguy, Dale and berkeman