Are operators always commutative with respect to operation +?

• Thread starter kakarukeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the commutativity of operators in relation to addition and exponentiation. While addition is commutative, exponentiation can create different operators, leading to the need to consider order of operations and the potential for non-commuting operators. Ultimately, the addition operation will be respected by linear operators as long as the domains allow for it.
kakarukeys
In general AB =/= BA, for example,
orbital angular momentum operators, L_x, L_y.

but is A + B = B + A always true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
(A+B)f=Af+Bf=Bf+Af=(B+A)f, so A+B = B +A

You are simply working with functions (Af and Bf), so the addition is commutative.

I think so, but this is puzzling to me:

put hbar = 1
L_x + L_y = L_y + L_x
so, exp(-i theta L_x) exp(-i theta L_y) = exp(-i theta L_y) exp(-i theta L_x)

that means rotation about x-axis and rotation about y-axis are commutative?

but rotate a book around x-axis 90 deg followed by y-axis 90 deg is not same as the other way round.

Warning: for (non-commuting) operators A and B,
you cannot write:

exp(A) exp(B) = exp(A+B)

!

cheers,
patrick.

I see,
things become clear when you expand the exponentials

Thank you.

provided the domains of the operators allow for the sum to be defined, linear operators will respect the addition operation.

You have to be careful with your order of operations (associativity). Exponentiation first and then addition vs. addition first and then exponentiation. The exponentiation makes different operators, say:

eA = Ω and eB = Λ

Not only do you have to worry about A + B = B + A, which is almost trivial in a physics context, you must also worry about [Ω,Λ] = 0, which is often enough untrue.

1. What is the definition of commutativity?

Commutativity is a mathematical property that states that the order in which two operands are used in an operation does not affect the result.

2. Are all operators commutative?

No, not all operators are commutative. Some examples of non-commutative operators include multiplication, division, and subtraction.

3. Is the addition operator always commutative?

Yes, the addition operator is always commutative. This means that when adding two numbers, the order in which they are added does not change the result.

4. How do I know if an operator is commutative or not?

You can determine if an operator is commutative by looking at its properties. If the order of operands does not affect the result, then the operator is commutative.

5. Why is commutativity important in mathematics?

Commutativity is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify and manipulate equations more easily. It also allows us to generalize rules and properties to a wider range of cases.