Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are oxygen levels declining?

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    This was prompted by another thread which got me thinking.

If CO2 levels are increasing then surely O2 levels must be decreasing?

I mean I am just going by basic chemistry, we have hydrocarbons (fossil fuels) where
    are being burnt and I believe the basic formula is:-

Hydrogen and Carbon (from fossil fuels) + O2 (from atmosphere)= CO2 + H20.

So it would seem to a 'layman' like me that if CO2 is increasing then O2 must be decreasing?

The only source of O2 that I am aware of is plants, but I believe they have to take CO2
    out of the atmosphere to make O2, so if CO2 is increasing then O2 (oxygen) must be decreasing?

I did a bit of chemistry so I think that is right.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember having read such an observation somewhere in the 4th assesment report of the IPCC (physical basis blah blah). One sees indeed a small decrease in O2 levels qualitatively in correlation with the CO2 rise, although it is at the limit of what is measurable.

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ie, remember that CO2 concentration is measured in parts per million while O2 is measured in percent.

5. Apr 30, 2008 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's why this observation was so difficult...

6. Apr 30, 2008 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]CO_2[/tex] concetrations vary from winter to summer in a given year - peaking in winter; lower in summer due to increased photosynthesis during spring and summer.

Due in part to the northern hemisphere has more vegetated land mass than does the southern hemisphere.

FWIW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?