Are people getting more selfish?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, Dale Carnegie's classic book "How to Win and Influence People" discusses the trend of people being more selfish. There is also a link between the use of the first person in sentences and selfishness.
TheStatutoryApe said:
And we should all speak in E-Prime while we're at it. ;-)
Certain turns of phrase used to avoid the no no words would likely give someone the impression that you are speaking differently though perhaps most would not be able to put their finger on the difference.

Sure. We could substitute 'we' for 'I' or talk about ourselves in the third person. Both would be equally annoying after a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
Sure. We could substitute 'we' for 'I' or talk about ourselves in the third person. Both would be equally annoying after a while.

It's better to not talk about the self at all in my opinion.

rewebster said:
I bet if you (you, meaning me, you, anyone read this) would, or could, avoid using "I, Me, and my" for a whole day in your normal environment-----NO ONE would notice----the reason being that everyone else that you'd be talking to would be so interested in what they themselves would be saying, they wouldn't 'catch' that someone around them is 'not' using the "I, Me, my, mine"

Moonbear is pretty sure that if she began talking about herself in the third person, other people would notice and consider her quite insane. Although, she's not sure if that would actually be a change in people's opinion of her, or just another reason to confirm the opinion they already hold. :biggrin:

tgt said:
It's better to not talk about the self at all in my opinion.
Mine too.

Moonbear said:
Moonbear is pretty sure that if she began talking about herself in the third person, other people would notice and consider her quite insane. Although, she's not sure if that would actually be a change in people's opinion of her, or just another reason to confirm the opinion they already hold. :biggrin:

I guess Moonbear's cat took over her account.

Moonbear said:

You sound like Miss Manners, which isn't all bad. I love her column:

Dear Miss Manners,
I have a friend whose sister was recently sentenced to a life sentence for murdering someone. I live a thousand miles away, and don't see my friend very often, but he did tell me of the upcoming trial when I last saw him. He told me that his sister had drifted away from the family years ago and that they weren't close.

I just heard the news about the life sentence, and my instinct is not to contact him about it. I'm certain he doesn't care to talk about it. Part of me wonders, however, if I should offer condolences or make a call. Your advice?

Gentle Reader,
Whether or not your friend wants to talk about this, you may be sure that he is aware that other people are doing so. A murder is not something that escapes notice.

Many of them will be pestering the family with questions and opinions about the matter, and Miss Manners appreciates your delicacy in refraining from such hurtful indulgence of curiosity. But you also do not want to appear to be one of those who will cause hurt by distancing themselves, as if your friend were now tainted by the association.

A letter saying merely that you are thinking of him and wishing him well would be kind. Then you won't need to clap your hand over your mouth when you next see him and innocently ask, "How's the family?"

jimmysnyder said:
Mine too.
:biggrin:

PS: I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not quite sure when the "Me" generation was, but 'their' children may be in their teens and twenties now-----or, what the children of the 'me' generation are called (tweeners, 'X', whatever)---but, what doesn't help, IMO, is when I happened to flip to different sit-coms, a lot of them (the characters, that is) present themselves quite selfishly (sons and daughters of the 'me' generation).

Of course, this is what 'makes' most of those shows 'interesting' (the dilemmas of what happens those people think only of themselves), but it has to rub off on those watching to 'some' degree.

I am the ninth letter of the alphabet. (from the May 2008 issue of Reader's Digest)

rewebster said:
I'm not quite sure when the "Me" generation was, but 'their' children may be in their teens and twenties now-----or, what the children of the 'me' generation are called (tweeners, 'X', whatever)---but, what doesn't help, IMO, is when I happened to flip to different sit-coms, a lot of them (the characters, that is) present themselves quite selfishly (sons and daughters of the 'me' generation).

Of course, this is what 'makes' most of those shows 'interesting' (the dilemmas of what happens those people think only of themselves), but it has to rub off on those watching to 'some' degree.

That is the thing. The generations after the "Me" generation. It can only get more selfish. I really don't like to imagine the generation after mine.

Question: Who am I?

I was born before those I am considering.
I think they have it all.
I respected my elders while they do not.
They are clearly more selfish while I was not.
I believe this wave of immigrants does not respect the culture.
I probably arrived during an earlier immigration wave and bothered the existing population.
I think things were better back then.
I am unaware of my feelings blinding me in regard to these considerations.

Answer: I am the generation before another.

<h2>1. What factors contribute to selfish behavior?</h2><p>There are many factors that can contribute to selfish behavior, including individual personality traits, societal influences, and environmental factors. Some studies suggest that people who grow up in individualistic cultures or who have experienced scarcity or competition may be more likely to exhibit selfish behavior.</p><h2>2. Is selfish behavior a result of nature or nurture?</h2><p>This is a complex question and the answer is likely a combination of both. Some research suggests that certain genetic variations may predispose individuals to selfish behavior, but environmental factors also play a significant role. For example, a person's upbringing and experiences can shape their attitudes and behaviors towards others.</p><h2>3. Can selfish behavior be changed or unlearned?</h2><p>Yes, selfish behavior can be changed or unlearned. It is not a fixed trait and can be influenced by various factors such as education, social norms, and personal experiences. With effort and self-reflection, individuals can learn to be more empathetic and considerate of others.</p><h2>4. Is there a link between technology and increased selfishness?</h2><p>There is ongoing debate about the impact of technology on selfish behavior. While some argue that social media and technology have made people more self-absorbed and less empathetic, others argue that it has simply made selfish behavior more visible. More research is needed to fully understand the relationship between technology and selfishness.</p><h2>5. Can selfish behavior be beneficial in any way?</h2><p>Selfish behavior can have short-term benefits for individuals, such as achieving personal goals or gaining resources. However, in the long run, selfish behavior can harm relationships and lead to negative consequences. It is important to strike a balance between self-interest and consideration for others in order to maintain healthy relationships and a functioning society.</p>

1. What factors contribute to selfish behavior?

There are many factors that can contribute to selfish behavior, including individual personality traits, societal influences, and environmental factors. Some studies suggest that people who grow up in individualistic cultures or who have experienced scarcity or competition may be more likely to exhibit selfish behavior.

2. Is selfish behavior a result of nature or nurture?

This is a complex question and the answer is likely a combination of both. Some research suggests that certain genetic variations may predispose individuals to selfish behavior, but environmental factors also play a significant role. For example, a person's upbringing and experiences can shape their attitudes and behaviors towards others.

3. Can selfish behavior be changed or unlearned?

Yes, selfish behavior can be changed or unlearned. It is not a fixed trait and can be influenced by various factors such as education, social norms, and personal experiences. With effort and self-reflection, individuals can learn to be more empathetic and considerate of others.

4. Is there a link between technology and increased selfishness?

There is ongoing debate about the impact of technology on selfish behavior. While some argue that social media and technology have made people more self-absorbed and less empathetic, others argue that it has simply made selfish behavior more visible. More research is needed to fully understand the relationship between technology and selfishness.

5. Can selfish behavior be beneficial in any way?

Selfish behavior can have short-term benefits for individuals, such as achieving personal goals or gaining resources. However, in the long run, selfish behavior can harm relationships and lead to negative consequences. It is important to strike a balance between self-interest and consideration for others in order to maintain healthy relationships and a functioning society.