Exploring the Gap: The Lack of Physics Books for the General Reader

• Thread starter Beanyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: Read moreIn summary, the conversation discusses the lack of physics books written for the general reader and asks for recommendations of books that can engage non-physicists. It is suggested that physicists may not be interested in writing for the general public and that chemists have had more success in this area. Some book recommendations are provided, including Richard Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law" and Isaac Asimov's "Understanding Physics" series. The conversation also mentions a series of science books published in the 1960s, with a particular recommendation for "Horns, Strings & Harmony" by Arthur H. Benade.
Beanyboy
Ok, so, at home I have "Disappearing Spoon", "Uncle Tungsten", "The Joys of Chemistry" and "Chemistry Imagined", to name but a few "general reader" science books. Interestingly, none of them are written specifically with Physics in mind. Does anyone know of any writer who's not writing a Physics textbook, but who simply wants to fire the imagination of the "general reader"? ( I know, I asked this before, but, I got mainly textbook recommendations - one of which I went and bought)

If I'm right, (which is rare) there's a paucity of Physics books for the "general reader". I wonder why? Are physicists poor writers? Do publishers feel that no one will be interested in this "hard stuff" anyway? And if you are a physicist reading this, does the shortage of books amplify your feelings of exclusivity, or do you feel "Damn, we could do with a few more books that'll engage the average intelligent reader"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of the above and one more you missed: anything a physicist does to make a book more "readable" for non physicists will necessarily reduce its accuracy and completeness, and that's just plain against their religion.

russ_watters said:
All of the above and one more you missed: anything a physicist does to make a book more "readable" for non physicists will necessarily reduce its accuracy and completeness, and that's just plain against their religion.
That's a very good point indeed. And, on the whole I agree with you and Galileo's quote about the "book of the universe" being written in Maths. But, I do feel like I'm letting Physicists off the hook in doing so. How come the "Chemists" can fire the imagination of the general reader, without becoming too bogged down in detail? You CAN lie, you know! We learners get it. Later, we know we'll have to modify the analogy/metaphor, because it doesn't quite match the reality. We get that! Maybe Physicist don't care? Maybe, they're happy in their elitist world, looking down on the rest of us, "the great unwashed":)

Richard Feynman, The Character of Physical Law
Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Jim Baggot, The Quantum Story
Hubert Reeves, The Universe Explained to my Grandchildren

just to name a few...

Likes Beanyboy and billy_joule
DrClaude said:
Richard Feynman, The Character of Physical Law
Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Jim Baggot, The Quantum Story
Hubert Reeves, The Universe Explained to my Grandchildren

just to name a few...
Thanks. Looks like I have some shopping to do!

Are you familiar with Isaac Asimov a chemist by profession he has authored over sixty books on science and science fiction. He wrote an "Understanding Physics" Series about 1966: including books on Motion, Sound and Heat:;Light, Magnetism and Electricity; and The Electron, Proton, and Neutron. His Robot series has be adapted for TV and film ( " Robot" (2004) many times.

Actually, in the 1960's there was a huge number of physics and science books published for the average reader. I have found all kinds of these at the swap meet and in used book stores.

One of my favorites is called, "Horns, Strings & Harmony," by Arthur H. Benade. It's extremely well written. And, it's part of a series put out by Anchor Books called, simply, "Science Study Series." There are 56 books in the series: plenty to keep you occupied for a good while, if you can find them. Each book has a suggested reading list of others (from outside the series) on the same subject.

My other favorite from this series is "Magnets," by Francis Bitter, the man who discovered magnetic domains in ferrous metals.

Some may find them too "dumbed down," but the point was obviously to pique the interest of young people with good minds and encourage them to go deeper. Two or three are by George Gamow, who was a fairly prestigious physicist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gamow

and whose book, "One, Two, Three...Infinity!" may be the best known of the series.

Beanyboy said:
How come the "Chemists" can fire the imagination of the general reader, without becoming too bogged down in detail?
I didn't know they can - I can't think of any famous chemists who published non-expert books, but can think of a handful of physicists who have.
You CAN lie, you know! We learners get it. Later, we know we'll have to modify the analogy/metaphor, because it doesn't quite match the reality.
I somewhat agree, but that's like fingernails on a chalkboard to a lot of people here and I gather among professional scientists (and there are a bunch here).
Maybe Physicist don't care? Maybe, they're happy in their elitist world, looking down on the rest of us, "the great unwashed":)
Well, yeah, they probably don't care; writing books for non-physicists just isn't in any physicist's job description. But don't mistake that for elitism; it's realism.

gleem said:
Are you familiar with Isaac Asimov a chemist by profession he has authored over sixty books on science and science fiction. He wrote an "Understanding Physics" Series about 1966: including books on Motion, Sound and Heat:;Light, Magnetism and Electricity; and The Electron, Proton, and Neutron. His Robot series has be adapted for TV and film ( " Robot" (2004) many times.
No, I was not aware of these titles. Damn you! I shall be putting skid marks on my credit card while on Amazon:) Many thanks!

zoobyshoe said:
Actually, in the 1960's there was a huge number of physics and science books published for the average reader. I have found all kinds of these at the swap meet and in used book stores.

One of my favorites is called, "Horns, Strings & Harmony," by Arthur H. Benade. It's extremely well written. And, it's part of a series put out by Anchor Books called, simply, "Science Study Series." There are 56 books in the series: plenty to keep you occupied for a good while, if you can find them. Each book has a suggested reading list of others (from outside the series) on the same subject.

My other favorite from this series is "Magnets," by Francis Bitter, the man who discovered magnetic domains in ferrous metals.

Some may find them too "dumbed down," but the point was obviously to pique the interest of young people with good minds and encourage them to go deeper. Two or three are by George Gamow, who was a fairly prestigious physicist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gamow

and whose book, "One, Two, Three...Infinity!" may be the best known of the series.
Extremely grateful to you for sharing these. My wife is currently wrestling the credit cards from my clutches, lest I go crazy with the book-shopping.

Beanyboy said:
Extremely grateful to you for sharing these. My wife is currently wrestling the credit cards from my clutches, lest I go crazy with the book-shopping.
I just searched for "Horns, Strings, and Harmony," on Amazon and they have about 4000 copies that can be had for a penny plus $4 shipping. The same is probably true for all the books in the series. Still, I'm sure you could get them for even less at some hole-in-the-wall used book store, or at a swap meet, if you can find them. The 1950's and 60's were a golden age for science popularization.

zoobyshoe said:
I just searched for "Horns, Strings, and Harmony," on Amazon and they have about 4000 copies that can be had for a penny plus $4 shipping. The same is probably true for all the books in the series. Still, I'm sure you could get them for even less at some hole-in-the-wall used book store, or at a swap meet, if you can find them. The 1950's and 60's were a golden age for science popularization.
That was pretty decent of you to do that search. Thanks.

Let me ask you this then: Do you think the internet doing as much, less, or more, than the books of the 50's and 60's, to popularize Science? And how would we really know?

russ_watters said:
I didn't know they can - I can't think of any famous chemists who published non-expert books, but can think of a handful of physicists who have.

I somewhat agree, but that's like fingernails on a chalkboard to a lot of people here and I gather among professional scientists (and there are a bunch here).

Well, yeah, they probably don't care; writing books for non-physicists just isn't in any physicist's job description. But don't mistake that for elitism; it's realism.
Did you have a book title you wished to share?

Beanyboy said:
Let me ask you this then: Do you think the internet doing as much, less, or more, than the books of the 50's and 60's, to popularize Science? And how would we really know?

Much more. Based on my own experience. In my formative years 50's and 60's having become interested in science (by what means I do not know) In order to find out more about it I had to go to the public library and browse through the stacks. I knew no scientists and had access to none. Sure there where an occasional TV program Mister Wizard once a week or programs out of the American Museum of Natural History. So you had to work at finding out about science. Learning was slower. Also It seemed that there where fewer books suitable for the young budding scientist. Today well really it is so easy with web sites like Physics Forum, university sponsored sites, personal science sites.etc, To motivate kids to use this info you have the STEM programs everywhere. The only issue on the internet is that some sites have bad science for which the unknowing can be lead astray.

Likes Evo
Beanyboy said:
I pretty much have no idea.

gleem said:
Much more. Based on my own experience. In my formative years 50's and 60's having become interested in science (by what means I do not know) In order to find out more about it I had to go to the public library and browse through the stacks. I knew no scientists and had access to none. Sure there where an occasional TV program Mister Wizard once a week or programs out of the American Museum of Natural History. So you had to work at finding out about science. Learning was slower. Also It seemed that there where fewer books suitable for the young budding scientist. Today well really it is so easy with web sites like Physics Forum, university sponsored sites, personal science sites.etc, To motivate kids to use this info you have the STEM programs everywhere. The only issue on the internet is that some sites have bad science for which the unknowing can be lead astray.
I'm a mid 50 year old myself. Grew up in Ireland. I'm inclined to agree with you, based purely on personal observations. I do think today's kids are luckier than we were. There's been fantastic developments also in "kid-friendly" books, and as you say, the internet is such a wonderful resource, notwithstanding the occasional rubbish out there.

Are you optimistic about the future of Science Learning? I am. I don't see why the overall level of curiosity would in our world would decrease, and so, with more access to wonderful materials, I think we'll see even more scientists emerge. I've no evidence for this of course. Maybe the question will become: Well, what's it all for then, this "scientific advancement?".

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
I pretty much have no idea.
Do you personally find the internet to be beneficial in advancing your own knowledge and understanding of Science?

Beanyboy said:
If I'm right, (which is rare) there's a paucity of Physics books for the "general reader". I wonder why? Are physicists poor writers? Do publishers feel that no one will be interested in this "hard stuff" anyway? And if you are a physicist reading this, does the shortage of books amplify your feelings of exclusivity, or do you feel "Damn, we could do with a few more books that'll engage the average intelligent reader"?
It's been awhile since I've browsed in a bookstore, but the last time I did, there were a lot of books written about physics topics intended for the general public. A few have been mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll add QED by Feynman and Dreams of a Final Theory by Weinberg. These are pretty old titles now, but I'm sure there's new stuff always coming out.

Fortunately, books don't hold their value well, so you can probably pick up a lot of used books pretty cheaply. In addition to Amazon, you might want to check out half.com as well.

vela said:
It's been awhile since I've browsed in a bookstore, but the last time I did, there were a lot of books written about physics topics intended for the general public. A few have been mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll add QED by Feynman and Dreams of a Final Theory by Weinberg. These are pretty old titles now, but I'm sure there's new stuff always coming out.

Fortunately, books don't hold their value well, so you can probably pick up a lot of used books pretty cheaply. In addition to Amazon, you might want to check out half.com as well.
How very kind of you. Thanks for taking time to make these recommendations.

gleem said:
I have to agree with this, as a child back in the 50's and 60's you just didn't have access to the books and information. I remember being at the library once and was looking at some books about math and the librarian saw me, and came over and took the book away from me, laughing and said "no dear, these books aren't for children, and walked me over to the children's storybooks, these are the books for children your age". I was so mad.

Likes gleem
Beanyboy said:
Thanks. Looks like I have some shopping to do!
Just ordered the audio book of "Cosmos". Looking forward to that in the car on the way to and from work.

Likes DrClaude
Beanyboy said:
Does anyone know of any writer who's not writing a Physics textbook, but who simply wants to fire the imagination of the "general reader"?
I know that physics professor Julius Sumner Miller is not writing a textbook of any description—if only because he is long dead. But in his time (1909-1987) he did much to fan the spark of public intrigue in everyday physics. Snapshots of some of his TV series were compiled in book form (see Wikipedia article), though these publications would be almost unprocureable now, and I'm definitely not parting with my copy of "Why is it so?"

Still, we are fortunate to be left with a wealth of youtube videos showing the enigmatic, irrepressible showman ("physics is my work", he says) plying his trade with wild abandon, e.g.,

Animated, a little clumsy, dressed for the part, and not a hair stylist in sight!

What a coincidence! I just had my wife watch the end of this with me and she laughed. You see, last week I was showing her the very same demonstration of air-pressure. And, yes, the number of atoms in 1cm cubed is just, mind-bogglingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Moi aussi, Je suis Charlie!

As a biologist, my favorite book by a physicist is Schrödinger's 1944 book What is Life.
It has some issues, but I consider it foundational for molecular biology.
It deals with thermodynamics, information, chemistry, and biology. Not sure that it is physics enough to count as physics for everyone.

Whoa! I just found this thread, and when I read it, my first reaction was "What the hey...?!"

There have been numerous, NUMEROUS books written for the public by physicists, even many of them remotely related to physics. Just because one hasn't found any does not mean that these do not exist.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several books, and I have all of them.

Steven Weinberg "Facing Up- Science and Its Cultural Adversaries" (Harvard Press)
Seven Weinberg "Lake Views" (Belknap Press)
Bob Park "Voodoo Science" (Oxford Press)
Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont "Fashionable Nonsense: Postmodern Intellectuals' Abuse of Science" (Picador)

Etc... etc... And no, physicists are not poor writers.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Whoa! I just found this thread, and when I read it, my first reaction was "What the hey...?!"

There have been numerous, NUMEROUS books written for the public by physicists, even many of them remotely related to physics. Just because one hasn't found any does not mean that these do not exist.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several books, and I have all of them.

Steven Weinberg "Facing Up- Science and Its Cultural Adversaries" (Harvard Press)
Seven Weinberg "Lake Views" (Belknap Press)
Bob Park "Voodoo Science" (Oxford Press)
Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont "Fashionable Nonsense: Postmodern Intellectuals' Abuse of Science" (Picador)

Zz.
Thankfully, we have erudite souls such as yourself to enlighten us.

ZapperZ said:
And in contrast, there are many in the non-scientific, non-mathematical fields who are barely capable of, or even completely incapable of anything beyond plain old arithmetic, if that. John Allen Paulos gives many examples in his book "Innumeracy, Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innumeracy_(book)).

Last edited:
BillTre said:
As a biologist, my favorite book by a physicist is Schrödinger's 1944 book What is Life.
It deals with thermodynamics, information, chemistry, and biology. Not sure that it is physics enough to count as physics for everyone.
I see it was based on a series of lectures delivered at Trinity College Dublin. I'm from Cork, Ireland, myself and was chuffed to read the Wikipedia piece about the book. Frankly, it may be a bit beyond me for now, but I've got the title duly noted. Thanks.

BillTre said:
Just read the introduction and preface online. Much more accessible than I thought. Ordered it. Thanks.

Likes BillTre

1. Why is it important for physicists to be good writers?

As a scientist, it is important to effectively communicate your research findings to others in the scientific community and to the general public. Good writing skills allow physicists to clearly and concisely convey complex ideas and theories, making their work more accessible and understandable to a wider audience.

2. Are physicists inherently bad writers?

No, being a good writer is a skill that can be learned and improved upon with practice and dedication. While it is true that physicists tend to focus more on mathematical and technical aspects of their work, they can still develop strong writing skills through training and experience.

3. How can physicists improve their writing skills?

One way for physicists to improve their writing skills is to actively seek feedback from colleagues and mentors. They can also take writing courses or workshops specifically tailored for scientists, and practice writing regularly. Reading and analyzing well-written scientific papers can also help improve writing skills.

4. Does being a good writer affect a physicist's career?

Yes, being a good writer can positively impact a physicist's career. In addition to being able to effectively communicate their research, physicists with strong writing skills may have a better chance of getting their papers published and securing funding for their projects. Good writing skills can also help in writing grant proposals and communicating with collaborators and colleagues.

5. Can being a poor writer hinder a physicist's success?

Yes, being a poor writer can hinder a physicist's success. It may make it difficult for them to effectively convey their research and ideas, leading to misunderstandings and potential missed opportunities. Poor writing skills can also affect a physicist's ability to secure funding or publish their work, which can impact their career progression.