Are Photovoltaic Cells Considered Ohmic Devices?

• Thread starter sj21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells
In summary, PV cells generate heat as a result of generating current and voltage. This heat is dissipated as the current and voltage are drawn down. Knowing the maximum power transfer theorem can help you determine where the power output peaks.
sj21
Hey,

I needed a clarification regarding this.
Are photovoltaic cells ohmic devices? Or if I consider an entire PV Module, will that be an ohmic device or not?

I basically need to know whether I can utilize the equation P = I2*R = V*I for a cell or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they are not. There is a saturation current that depends on amount of light the cell receives, and the voltage across the cell is a constant step that depends on semiconductor used. As you are nearing the saturation, of course, the apparent voltage will drop, which will have properties similar to internal resistance of the battery, but you are still not looking at anything remotely ohmic.

sj21 said:
I basically need to know whether I can utilize the equation P = I2*R = V*I for a cell or not.
You can use Pout = V*I
this always works for DC

Ohk. Thanks a lot.

I was basically trying to obtain how much heat is generated in the PV Cell because of current/voltage being generated? And how it (the heat generated) is related to the incident solar radiation on the cell. Can you help me with that if you have any idea?

sj21 said:
I was basically trying to obtain how much heat is generated in the PV Cell because of current/voltage being generated? And how it (the heat generated) is related to the incident solar radiation on the cell.
That is an interesting question. I'm sure textbooks on PV cells would deal with it. Not having studied PV cells, I'm wondering whether it would be naive of me to ask would a cell be cooler when you are drawing electrical power from it because that represents some of the incident radiation being dissipated outside the cell.

Anyway, one thought I have is could you plot Vload vs. Iload for your array, and then convert this to a power graph, Pload vs. Iload? If so, then it should show a peak, and knowing the maximum power transfer theorem, you can say where the power output peaks, an equal power is being dissipated internally.

That might be a start. :smile:

I am trying to prepare a thermal model. Using Maximum Power Point methods makes it more of an electrical model. I am trying to consider electric current generation by limiting it to the amount of heat generated because of that and loss in incident solar radiation transmitted through the PV Module.
Still, thanks for your suggestion! :)

1. Are PV cells considered ohmic devices?

Yes, PV cells are considered ohmic devices. An ohmic device is one that follows Ohm's law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it. PV cells have a linear relationship between the current and voltage, making them ohmic devices.

2. How do PV cells differ from other ohmic devices?

PV cells differ from other ohmic devices in that they convert light energy into electrical energy, whereas other ohmic devices do not have this capability. This is due to the unique materials and design of PV cells, which allow them to generate electricity when exposed to sunlight.

3. What factors affect the ohmic behavior of PV cells?

The ohmic behavior of PV cells can be affected by several factors, including temperature, irradiance (intensity of light), and load resistance. Changes in these factors can alter the current-voltage relationship of the PV cell, making it deviate from ohmic behavior.

4. Can PV cells exhibit non-ohmic behavior?

Yes, under certain conditions, PV cells can exhibit non-ohmic behavior. This can occur when the temperature or irradiance is too high, causing the PV cell to heat up and change its electrical properties. In these cases, the current-voltage relationship may not be linear, and the PV cell may not follow Ohm's law.

5. Why is understanding the ohmic behavior of PV cells important?

Understanding the ohmic behavior of PV cells is important because it allows us to accurately predict and model their performance. This is crucial for designing and optimizing PV systems, as well as for troubleshooting any issues that may arise. It also helps us understand the limitations and capabilities of PV cells, which is essential for further advancements in solar technology.