Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are some people jerks just because they can be?

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1

turbo

Gold Member

Today, I had to make a trip to a nearby town. I found myself behind a conga-line of slow-moving vehicles that were applying their brakes again and again. A few vehicles managed to get out of that line and pass and as the line shortened I could ID the culprit. It was an older Ford van going from 5-10 mph under the speed limit with no rhyme nor reason to the speed variations. I was pretty much trapped, though, because in front of me was a compact car from PQ hauling a travel-trailer that was just a *bit* too large to allow real acceleration, so he couldn't pass. Eventually we got to a hill that featured a "slow traffic use right lane" widening. the jerk in the Ford van pulled into the right-hand lane, but kept speeding up so that the car from PQ had to work really hard to try to get by him. Then, the jerk pulled into the travel lane right in front of me without so much as a turn-signal. From then on into town (about 5 miles) there are no opportunities to pass, so I was stuck.

It was an older couple in the van, and every time I'd see the driver's baseball cap visor turn toward the person in the passenger seat, the van would drift right, at times substantially into the breakdown lane. Eventually, he'd look ahead again and head back to the center-line. This crap continued all the way into town at about 10mph under the speed limit. I found myself longing for James Bond's Aston-Martin - the one with the front-facing machine guns.

If that jerk had try pulling stunts like that on Route 128 (Edit: Boston drivers are NOT tolerant!) someone would have taught him a lesson.

I got stuck behind them at the first traffic light in town, and the back of the van was festooned with tea-party stickers, including one that read "I Don't Believe the Liberal Media". I was still ticked off, but thought "maybe that's why he keeps veering to the right." :devil:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2011 #2
    Some people are just assholes and there isnt anything anyone can do.

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

To answer your thread question, yes, yes I am.

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Phazers.

6. Jul 15, 2011 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

An older couple, driving 10 mph under the speed limit, and erratically.

Sounds like he wasn't doing it deliberately. Sounds like he just has difficulty and is driving cautiously.

It sucks, but he does have the right to get around too. Though maybe with a bit more consideration for others...

7. Jul 15, 2011 #6
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/125647693.html

8. Jul 15, 2011 #7

turbo

Gold Member

And not on "stun"!

I passed the guy at the next intersection, and he wasn't all that elderly. Looked to be mid-60s or a little older. Plus the increased speed and lane-cutting near the the top of the hill was quite deliberate. He was being a jerk and trying to keep the PQ driver from getting by him, then cut in front of me as soon as the Canadian managed to pass.

9. Jul 15, 2011 #8

Evo

I usually just pretend to melt their tires.

10. Jul 15, 2011 #9
    Too old to drive, and too old old for democracy.

11. Jul 15, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Hell! My father is 85+ and he is a great driver. He uses the cruise control in his Forester so he won't get picked up for speeding. Since I was a kid, he owned a series of pretty peppy cars - GM was making some pretty hot stuff in the '50s and '60s. He should never have trusted me with that Impala SS when I got my license. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  12. Jul 15, 2011 #11
    I had a conversation with an older woman once who said she would gladly hold up traffic if everyone around her seemed to want to go faster than she was comfortable going. If she didn't feel they needed to be going that fast, she felt it was her prerogative to slow them all down. I was amazed.

13. Jul 15, 2011 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I once had the misfortune of working with a guy who would deliberately clog traffic for his own amusement by driving 'way too slow. Luckily, we lived in opposite directions from the paper mill, so I wasn't treated to his idiocy too much. His nephew was my backtender on the paper machine, and when I asked him why his uncle engaged in such crappy behavior (possibly causing accidents due to people getting frustrated and passing in dangerous conditions to get around him) he just rolled his eyes and said "He loves parades and he always wants to lead them."

Such passive-aggressive driving (obstructionist) ought to be cracked down on. It's probably more dangerous to others than speeding ~5mph or so.

14. Jul 15, 2011 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Around here if you go the speed limit +10 mph, you get tail-gated. That usually pisses me off.

15. Jul 15, 2011 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My mother (just 70) has been extremely busy with moving out of her house, and into a really nice apartment more suitable for her needs (and within her old neighbourhood). In the beginning she drove back and forth with stuff, but one day as she was going from parked position to reverse, she accelerated and bumped into a parked car, which bumped into another parked car. Fortunately, her speed was very low, so the damages weren't great.
    Because she had been particularly stressed that day, she didn't particularly worry (aside from being annoyed at herself having damaged the property of others, and relieved that she had managed to get hold of them quickly after the accident).

But, a couple of days later, when she was entirely relaxed, a repeat event happened with her garage door, where she suddenly couldn't remember what was the brake pedal and what was the gas pedal.

An insignificant bump occured, but more importantly, she decided then and there that she now is a traffic hazard and an ex-driver.

I agree with her decision, it doesn't matter that she has had a perfect driving record for the last 40 years previously.

16. Jul 15, 2011 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She's a smart lady with a smart son. But you have to look out for the old folks that can't make that decision themselves.

17. Jul 15, 2011 #16
    Here in San Diego you will get pulled over for going too slow. The cop's first suspicion when they see this is that's it's a drunk driver over-compensating; trying especially hard not to speed.

18. Jul 15, 2011 #17

turbo

Gold Member

This is a problem, though. When you are are endangering others by driving very slowly, can you be charged and fined? It doesn't happen here!

19. Jul 15, 2011 #18
    A quick google found this:

http://www.chicagoathome.com/detail.aspx?dct=54&id=8423&mid=1027&loc=rss

20. Jul 15, 2011 #19

Drakkith

Speaking of old people...I was at Burger King here on base about a year ago waiting for my meal when from the kitchen area I heard a lound crashing sound. I thought it was someone opening up a big cabinet full of pots and pans, but one of the employees came running from the back gonig "OMG someone just crashed into the building!" So we go outside and there is an old guy backing up from the ruined wall of Burger King back into a parking spot. We make sure he's ok and call the cops and all that, and it turns out that he "missed" the break and hit the accelerator instead right as he was trying to park. Sigh...

21. Jul 15, 2011 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Happened last year where I worked on the 2nd floor. Happened right underneath the window.

It was a parking attendant, moving someone's SUV. I recall hearing an engine rev loud and high, like in neutral, just before the crash.

He was removed from parking duty...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook