Are standing bikes a healthy option for everyone?

• Thread starter elfridaauston87
  • Start date
In summary: The summary is that people think standing desks are useful, but people also think they are more trendy than useful. They also think that people who can't walk and chew gum in the same time shouldn't be productive, and that people would be able to do both effectively if they had individual offices where they could close the door. They also think that the bikes in work-out-exercise "gyms" should be able to generate electricity to run the computer or recharge a battery pack.
elfridaauston87
Just wanted to get your opinion about the using of the standing desk at work or home while in styding or making projects? All the sitting down approx. 9 hours during my job, gained so much weight and it affected badly on my practical work out. I am interested to purchase standing bike for my need from the Flexispot store, where I see several selections of desk bikes for boosting the healthy lifestyle at work. Does anyone here use one? Guide me about the benefit of the desk bikes and as well the quality of Flexispot standing bikes. I am looking out some discount options for Flexispot to shop with a great reduction in prices. Please updated me, I want to resolved my health concerns fast!

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

There are numerous articles on the pros and cons of standing desks. They seem most useful to those of us with back issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-benefits-of-a-standing-desk

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-truth-behind-standing-desks-2016092310264

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a25359834/standing-desk-benefits-truth/

and there are many more to read.

The last article from Mens Health gives good advice about sitting vs standing vs exercise which I think would apply to your case. Basically moderate your sitting, standing and exercise by intermixing them in your work routine and follow common dietary advice to moderate your diet by eating more healthy options and less caloric content.

Likes elfridaauston87
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
elfridaauston87 said:
I am interested to purchase standing bike for my need from the Flexispot store, where I see several selections of desk bikes for boosting the healthy lifestyle at work.
It seems like a bike at your desk would be pretty noisy and disruptive of the work environment. Do you work at home like the person shown below at the Flexispot website, or are you in an office with other people at their desks. Do you have individual offices where you can close the door? Or are you in cubicles or open/shared spaces with your desks?

Likes elfridaauston87
They have the right idea. . . .:cool:
1555390007304.png

Last edited:
Likes elfridaauston87
Feels like more trendy than useful.
Somebody is expected to be dumb if 'can't walk and chew gum in the same time', but (productive) work is not chewing and riding a bike (even this 'desk bike' thing) would also demand more than just walking either. I don't think many would be able to do both effectively the same time (unless it is that special kind of non-really-a-job or it is not-really-biking).
Also, you are expected to sweat during exercise. At least a bit - or it is not really exercise. How does that fit with your work environment? With your colleagues?

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, elfridaauston87 and symbolipoint
I always felt they should make these bikes generate electricity to run the computer or recharge a battery pack or something tangible that gives the user an incentive to use it.

I keep thinking of the Progressive commercial with Chloe's sister sitting on an exercise bike, checking here phone, hardly pedaling and saying cycling is my passion demurely.

Likes pinball1970, elfridaauston87, symbolipoint and 1 other person
Many thanks to all of you, for your great ideas.

Likes berkeman
Excellent!
jedishrfu said:
I always felt they should make these bikes generate electricity to run the computer or recharge a battery pack or something tangible that gives the user an incentive to use it.

I keep thinking of the Progressive commercial with Chloe's sister sitting on an exercise bike, checking here phone, hardly pedaling and saying cycling is my passion demurely.
My thoughts went that way too.
Imagine if the exercise bicycles in work-out-exercise "gyms" could be connected to electric generators or some other kinds of machines!

Likes elfridaauston87
symbolipoint said:
Imagine if the exercise bicycles in work-out-exercise "gyms" could be connected to electric generators or some other kinds of machines!
Well... some had imagined that already:approve:

Likes jedishrfu
As one of my mentors would say: "It's a great idea, but like so many great ideas someone thought of it before."

1. Are standing bikes a good option for people with joint pain?

Standing bikes can be a great option for people with joint pain, as they offer a low-impact workout that reduces stress on the joints. However, it is important to consult with a doctor before starting any new exercise routine.

2. Can standing bikes help with weight loss?

Yes, standing bikes can be an effective tool for weight loss. They provide a full-body workout that burns calories and can help improve overall fitness levels.

3. Are standing bikes suitable for all fitness levels?

Standing bikes can be adjusted to accommodate different fitness levels. They offer a range of resistance levels and can be used at a pace that is comfortable for the individual.

4. Do standing bikes offer a good cardiovascular workout?

Yes, standing bikes can provide a great cardiovascular workout. They get the heart rate up and improve blood circulation, which can have numerous health benefits.

5. Can standing bikes be used for rehabilitation purposes?

Standing bikes can be a useful tool for rehabilitation, as they offer a low-impact workout that can help improve strength and mobility. However, it is important to consult with a medical professional before using a standing bike for rehabilitation purposes.