Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are supermax prisons really 'escape proof'?

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    Many prisoners have escaped from prisons throughout the years, even death row. The wardens tend to think that after they make corrections, it is 'escape proof'

Do you think prisons are ever escape proof? Yes or no and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2
    I don't think there is a such thing as escape proof.
    There have been numerous prisons throughout history that have been labeled escape proof and proven wrong. Any security measure can be bypassed with the right resources.

4. Oct 7, 2005 #3
    Nothing's impossible, escape included. From anywhere.

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Any "system" has its flaws :)

Even Magneto escaped!

6. Oct 7, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

The possibility of escape is entirely dependent upon the resources and imagination of the prisoner vs those of the system.

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Or on how much you pay off the guards :p

8. Oct 7, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Bribery is categorized as a 'resource', along with standing armies.:biggrin:

9. Oct 7, 2005 #8

Mk

I forgot how that happened, a gaurd came in or something wearing metal?

10. Oct 7, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

An accomplice seduced him in a bar and injected him with either a metal or a substance that increased the iron content of his haemoglobin. Can't remember which, and I seem to recall that in reality blood-borne iron isn't magnetic.:rolleyes:

11. Oct 8, 2005 #10
    well i think she put so much in him that it didnt bond with the blood stuff.. or whatever.. so yea then magneto is like WTF there is iron in your blood, gimme it plz and he took it

12. Oct 8, 2005 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

The man was a tad dim-witted and didn't notice the severe burns from being injected with molten metal.

13. Oct 9, 2005 #12
    To play the nerd here, I remember something about there being a calculable probability that you can undergo quantum tunneling and move intact from one location to another. While the odds are slim, I think that no prison can be entitled escape proof until they learn to deal with this possibility. Force fields perhaps?

~Lyuokdea

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?