Are Cosmological & Universal Constants the Same?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the cosmological constant and the universal constant. While the two terms may be used interchangeably, the cosmological constant is not necessarily a universal constant and it is still an open question in the current model of the universe.
Starlover
Are the cosmological constant and the universal constant essentially the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of "the universal constant". Do you have a reference for context?

Thank you for replying, DaleSpam. I seem to see "universal constant" used interchangeably with "cosmological constant." That's why I wonder if they're the same thing. The best I can figure out, is that a "universal constant" is any constant in the universe (such as the invariance of the speed of light), and that Einstein's "cosmological constant" is simply one of these universal constants. But I'm not sure if the two are actually the same thing, or if the Einstein's cosmological constant is simply one of many different "universal constants." :)

It's difficult to tell what an author means by a term without seeing the context. Can you provide a quote or a link where you have seen "universal constant" used?

Starlover said:
Thank you for replying, DaleSpam. I seem to see "universal constant" used interchangeably with "cosmological constant." That's why I wonder if they're the same thing. The best I can figure out, is that a "universal constant" is any constant in the universe (such as the invariance of the speed of light), and that Einstein's "cosmological constant" is simply one of these universal constants. But I'm not sure if the two are actually the same thing, or if the Einstein's cosmological constant is simply one of many different "universal constants." :)
Wikipedia lists c (speed of light), G (gravitational constant; not to be confused with cosmological constant) and h, ħ resp. (Planck constant) as universal constants; others as constants of their related fields. However, the cosmological constant, Hubble factor resp., aren't listed at all.

Fresh_42, I think your answer helped me figure things out. I think the answer to my question is that Einstein's Cosmological Constant is not a "universal constant" (like the speed of light) because the Cosmological Constant was proven untrue when the universe was shown to be expanding. Thank you, everybody, for your help! :)Starlover

Starlover said:
Fresh_42, I think your answer helped me figure things out. I think the answer to my question is that Einstein's Cosmological Constant is not a "universal constant" (like the speed of light) because the Cosmological Constant was proven untrue when the universe was shown to be expanding. Thank you, everybody, for your help! :)Starlover
You can find further interesting aspects and discussions on the cosmological constant searching PF here.

The cosmological constant might be a universal constant, like G or c, but it also also might be derivable from quantum field theory or some theory of quantum gravity; we just don't know what the answer to "Is the cosmological constant a universal constant?" is right now.

Starlover said:
the Cosmological Constant was proven untrue when the universe was shown to be expanding.

I'm not sure what you mean buy this, but if it is a reference to Einstein's static universe model, the fact that that model was disproved by the discovery of the expansion of the universe does not mean "the cosmological constant was proven untrue". Our current model of the universe also has a nonzero cosmological constant; it just also has expansion.

The cosmological constant is used to explain the acceleration of the expansion, due to dark energy. What it all means is still an open question.

1. What are cosmological and universal constants?

Cosmological and universal constants are physical quantities that are believed to be fixed and unchanging throughout the universe. They describe fundamental properties of the universe, such as the speed of light, the strength of gravity, and the amount of dark energy.

2. How are these constants related?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about whether cosmological and universal constants are the same. Some theories suggest that they are interchangeable and that there is a deeper underlying connection between them. However, there is currently no definitive answer.

3. What evidence exists to support the idea that they are the same?

One piece of evidence for the idea that cosmological and universal constants are the same is the anthropic principle, which suggests that the fundamental properties of the universe are fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life. This could imply a deeper connection between these constants.

4. Is there any evidence against the idea that they are the same?

Some scientists argue that there is no theoretical basis for assuming that cosmological and universal constants should be the same. Additionally, there is currently no experimental evidence to definitively support this idea.

5. How does the question of whether they are the same impact our understanding of the universe?

If it is found that cosmological and universal constants are the same, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe. It could also potentially lead to new breakthroughs in physics and cosmology.