1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the functions the same?

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    Suppose you have these three functions:

I. y = x-2

II. y = (x2-4)/(x+2)

III. (x+2)y = (x2-4)

It asks whether these functions have the same graph.

I thought II and III were the same, but it says none of the above functions have the same graph.

Am I missing something??:cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please show us your work. Particularly your factoring skills....

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi BF! :smile:

You are missing the behaviour in -2. When you fill in x=-2 in II, then it is undefined; as you divide by 0. But filling in x=-2 in III doesn't yield an error such as division by 0.

That said, I'm quite troubled by III, as it doesn't specify a function to me.

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4
    I knew of the behavior of some of the functions at -2, but I didn't think it would be a homework question because I saw this in a previous AMC-12.

http://www.ncssm.edu/courses/math/NCSSM%20Student%20Materials/AMC%20Problems/Sample%20Questions%20from%20past%20AMC.pdf [Broken]

I. y = x-2
    II. y = x-2 with hole at -2
    III. y = x-2 with hole at -2 (from what I originally thought, but I guess that may not be true...)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Sep 12, 2011 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's certainly schoolwork (doesn't matter if it's assigned homework or self-study).

As to the equations, are we not allowed to factor and cancel to get to the simplest equation y=f(x) before graphing? It sounds from micromass' reply that we are not allowed to do that...

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Sep 12, 2011 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What I believe he means is that you can't just do that: the (x+2) in the denominator of the rational function tells you that the function is not defined at x = -2 . Algebraically speaking, you will get y = x - 2 in all three cases. However, you must beware of any divisor in an algebraic equation that can be zero for some (one or more) value(s) of x . (So, yes, you can divide it out, but don't forget that you did that...)

So the first function is just the straight line y = x - 2 and is defined for all values of x . The other two functions act like y = x - 2 everywhere except at x = -2 . Thus, they are technically different functions and we must leave a "hole" in the straight line for those graphs at ( -2, -4 ). [Some graphing calculators and computer software will even do this -- when you "zoom in" on that region, you would see a break in the line at that point.]

8. Sep 12, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But that's the point. The third one IS defined in x=-2. Indeed, if a treat it as an implicit function, then

[itex](x+2)y = (x^2-4)[/itex]

is defined in x=-2 for all y-values. So to the x-value -2, there corresponds multiple y-values. This makes it not a function. This is why I'm confused.

9. Sep 12, 2011 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I wonder if there is some range of interpretation as to how people would read that equation. I would say this: the equation has a well-defined solution for y for every value of x not equal to -2 . As you point out, the value of y is indeterminate at x = -2 (any real value of y works!). So this still behaves as a function except at x = -2 and its graph looks just like that of (II). I believe that effectively (II) and (III) describe the same function, which is distinct from (I).

10. Sep 12, 2011 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that is a good point-of-view. But I usually interpret the graph of a implicit function as

[tex]\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2~\vert~(x+2)y = (x^2-4)\}[/tex]

So the graph would look like (II) + the line x=-2.

However, my intepretation is probably not what they mean. But I would like to see what they DO mean... Your interpretation is probably the right one.

11. Sep 12, 2011 #10

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I honestly hadn't considered that since I don't see equations handled that way in the work I usually do. But given the source of this problem, that could be exactly what they're after for (III), in which case it isn't a function (generally speaking) and all three equations describe different sets of points. (I'll be wary of that sort of thing henceforth...)

[EDIT: Ah, going back to BloodyFrozen's attachment, the AMC-12 problem doesn't say the three equations all describe functions; it simply asks which of the three equations have the same graphs. In that case, I think you're right about (III) -- the given answer to the problem is in fact (E). ]

12. Sep 13, 2011 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, only (2,0) satisfies the equation.

13. Sep 13, 2011 #12
    I deleted my post since it was incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook