Comparing Functions: Do They Have the Same Graph?

• Thread starter BloodyFrozen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, Micromass is saying that the first function--the line y = x - 2--is definable for all x, while the other two functions have undefined graphs at x = -2.
BloodyFrozen
Suppose you have these three functions:

I. y = x-2

II. y = (x2-4)/(x+2)

III. (x+2)y = (x2-4)

It asks whether these functions have the same graph.

I thought II and III were the same, but it says none of the above functions have the same graph.

Am I missing something??:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
BloodyFrozen said:

I. y = x-2

II. y = (x2-4)/(x+2)

III. (x+2)y = (x2-4)

I thought II and III were the same, but it says none of the above functions have the same graph.

Please show us your work. Particularly your factoring skills...

Hi BF! :smile:

You are missing the behaviour in -2. When you fill in x=-2 in II, then it is undefined; as you divide by 0. But filling in x=-2 in III doesn't yield an error such as division by 0.

That said, I'm quite troubled by III, as it doesn't specify a function to me.

BloodyFrozen said:

I. y = x-2

II. y = (x2-4)/(x+2)

III. (x+2)y = (x2-4)

I knew of the behavior of some of the functions at -2, but I didn't think it would be a homework question because I saw this in a previous AMC-12.

http://www.ncssm.edu/courses/math/NCSSM%20Student%20Materials/AMC%20Problems/Sample%20Questions%20from%20past%20AMC.pdf

I. y = x-2
II. y = x-2 with hole at -2
III. y = x-2 with hole at -2 (from what I originally thought, but I guess that may not be true...)

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Hi BF! :smile:

You are missing the behaviour in -2. When you fill in x=-2 in II, then it is undefined; as you divide by 0. But filling in x=-2 in III doesn't yield an error such as division by 0.

That said, I'm quite troubled by III, as it doesn't specify a function to me.

BloodyFrozen said:
I knew of the behavior of some of the functions at -2, but I didn't think it would be a homework question because I saw this in a previous AMC-12.

http://www.ncssm.edu/courses/math/NCSSM%20Student%20Materials/AMC%20Problems/Sample%20Questions%20from%20past%20AMC.pdf

I. y = x-2
II. y = x-2 with hole at -2
III. y = x-2 with hole at -2 (from what I originally thought, but I guess that may not be true...)

It's certainly schoolwork (doesn't matter if it's assigned homework or self-study).

As to the equations, are we not allowed to factor and cancel to get to the simplest equation y=f(x) before graphing? It sounds from micromass' reply that we are not allowed to do that...

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
It's certainly schoolwork (doesn't matter if it's assigned homework or self-study).

As to the equations, are we not allowed to factor and cancel to get to the simplest equation y=f(x) before graphing? It sounds from micromass' reply that we are not allowed to do that...

What I believe he means is that you can't just do that: the (x+2) in the denominator of the rational function tells you that the function is not defined at x = -2 . Algebraically speaking, you will get y = x - 2 in all three cases. However, you must beware of any divisor in an algebraic equation that can be zero for some (one or more) value(s) of x . (So, yes, you can divide it out, but don't forget that you did that...)

So the first function is just the straight line y = x - 2 and is defined for all values of x . The other two functions act like y = x - 2 everywhere except at x = -2 . Thus, they are technically different functions and we must leave a "hole" in the straight line for those graphs at ( -2, -4 ). [Some graphing calculators and computer software will even do this -- when you "zoom in" on that region, you would see a break in the line at that point.]

But that's the point. The third one IS defined in x=-2. Indeed, if a treat it as an implicit function, then

[itex](x+2)y = (x^2-4)[/itex]

is defined in x=-2 for all y-values. So to the x-value -2, there corresponds multiple y-values. This makes it not a function. This is why I'm confused.

micromass said:
But that's the point. The third one IS defined in x=-2. Indeed, if a treat it as an implicit function, then

[itex](x+2)y = (x^2-4)[/itex]

is defined in x=-2 for all y-values. So to the x-value -2, there corresponds multiple y-values. This makes it not a function. This is why I'm confused.

I wonder if there is some range of interpretation as to how people would read that equation. I would say this: the equation has a well-defined solution for y for every value of x not equal to -2 . As you point out, the value of y is indeterminate at x = -2 (any real value of y works!). So this still behaves as a function except at x = -2 and its graph looks just like that of (II). I believe that effectively (II) and (III) describe the same function, which is distinct from (I).

dynamicsolo said:
I wonder if there is some range of interpretation as to how people would read that equation. I would say this: the equation has a well-defined solution for y for every value of x not equal to -2 . As you point out, the value of y is indeterminate at x = -2 (any real value of y works!). So this still behaves as a function except at x = -2 and its graph looks just like that of (II). I believe that effectively (II) and (III) describe the same function, which is distinct from (I).

Yes, that is a good point-of-view. But I usually interpret the graph of a implicit function as

[tex]\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2~\vert~(x+2)y = (x^2-4)\}[/tex]

So the graph would look like (II) + the line x=-2.

However, my intepretation is probably not what they mean. But I would like to see what they DO mean... Your interpretation is probably the right one.

micromass said:
Yes, that is a good point-of-view. But I usually interpret the graph of a implicit function as

[tex]\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2~\vert~(x+2)y = (x^2-4)\}[/tex]

So the graph would look like (II) + the line x=-2.

I honestly hadn't considered that since I don't see equations handled that way in the work I usually do. But given the source of this problem, that could be exactly what they're after for (III), in which case it isn't a function (generally speaking) and all three equations describe different sets of points. (I'll be wary of that sort of thing henceforth...)

[EDIT: Ah, going back to BloodyFrozen's attachment, the AMC-12 problem doesn't say the three equations all describe functions; it simply asks which of the three equations have the same graphs. In that case, I think you're right about (III) -- the given answer to the problem is in fact (E). ]

256bits said:
And defined in x=+2 for all y-values.

No, only (2,0) satisfies the equation.

micromass said:
No, only (2,0) satisfies the equation.

I deleted my post since it was incorrect.

1. Are the functions the same?

This is a common question asked when comparing two functions. The answer depends on the context of the functions. If the two functions have the same inputs and outputs for all possible values, then they can be considered the same. However, if the functions have different inputs or outputs, then they are not the same.

2. How do you determine if two functions are the same?

To determine if two functions are the same, you need to compare their inputs and outputs. If the inputs and outputs are identical for all possible values, then the functions are the same. However, if there are any differences in the inputs or outputs, then the functions are not the same.

3. Can two functions have the same name but be different?

Yes, two functions can have the same name but be different. In programming, functions are defined by their inputs and outputs, not by their name. So, two functions with the same name can have different inputs and outputs, making them different functions.

4. Is it possible for two functions to have the same output but different inputs?

Yes, it is possible for two functions to have the same output but different inputs. This is known as a one-to-one function, where each input has a unique output. So, even if the inputs are different, as long as the outputs are the same, the functions can be considered the same.

5. What are some examples of functions that are the same?

Two functions can be considered the same if they have the same inputs and outputs. For example, the functions f(x) = 2x and g(x) = x + x are the same because they both have the same input (x) and output (2x). Another example is the functions h(x) = x^2 and i(x) = x * x, which are the same because they have the same input (x) and output (x^2).