Are the moraly right the victors of war?

• Thread starter devil-fire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of morality in war and how it is often subjective and influenced by the victors. The saying "history is written by the winners" is mentioned, as well as the idea that the victors are often seen as morally right. However, some argue that morality has nothing to do with determining right or wrong in war and that it is a subjective concept that can change over time. The conversation also touches on the actions of Hitler and how he believed his actions were morally right, but this is not universally accepted. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity of morality in war and how it can be influenced by various factors.
dschouten said:
Les Sleuth . . . (s)he (gender unknown to me)

If you click on my name in any post you'll see my profile where there are a couple of clues about my gender :smile:.

dschouten said:
However much this is true, it should be realized that, more often than not, the extent of the foundation for these preachers' morality is not the limited scope presented in this forum, but an even more foundational institution: religion. If you are to accept that God created the universe, and that God decrees certain standards of living, it would only seem completely natural for these "moralizers" to preach the divine decrees even in areas of personal freedom. "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial", and if the preachers believe something now permissible to be detrimental, preaching against it is the only moral thing to do.

I understand why the religious preach morals, but that doesn't mean they are serving the best interests of humanity to do so. I also think it's "natural" for a man to preach domination over others (given our hormones and evolutionary history), or for a communist to preach materialism, etc.

Also, I don't accept that God decrees certain standards of living. As far as I can tell, religous morality stems from men speaking for God, and that arrogance is another reason why morality preachers turn a lot of people off.

You might surmise I've had some contact with preachers, and you'd be right. I was raised in a fundamentalist family, and exposed to copius amounts of moralizing by some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever encountered. Now, among those religious was a very old woman who stood out as an exception to me. She didn't preach morality, but instead exhibited love. We had a talk when I was 11 years old after I decided I was going to hell because there was no way I could live up to all the commandments. Sher impressed me when she said, "if you live in the experience of love and sincerity, then you don't have to worry about the commandments . . . love and sincerity will make you perfect."

Today I look at people who preach morality, and mostly what I see are religious "behaviorists." They want to "behave" correctly, but too often without the heart of it present -- love and sincerity.

dschouten said:
Besides, Mill's perspective - that in areas of purely individual concern each person is to be granted total autonomy - is in my view flawed in its very premise: there are no areas of purely individual concern. Consider, if one member of society corrupts him or herself, then society is itself corrupted. A healthy society is a society comprised of healthy individuals, and health here is not used in the purely physical sense.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean people have the right to dictate personal morality to others, and it also doesn't mean that preaching it is going to do anything other than cause people to turn a deaf ear.

In my former professional life I used to work in a field called organization development. In team building (say with a manger and his/her team) we would, as expected, work on techniques which helped team members coordinate their actions. However, to create a strong team, even more important than learning the skills of teamwork was to get members voluntarily committed and even enthusiastic about team efforts. How is that done?

Well, you can't preach the "needs" of the team or the "rights" of the team, and get genuine, heartfelt commitment. The only way (except in emergency situations) to get true commitment is when participation in the team satisfies individual needs. People are not motivated long by "shoulds" or "should nots" or guilt or even high ideals if working toward them doesn't pay off with personal satisfaction fairly soon.

Consider another example. The question posed for this thread was if the morally right are most often victors in war. If we consider the trend of all of history, then at this point the answer is yes. But a big part of the reason we have cooperated with other countries, fought so hard, and believed so deeply in our cause (all of which we did better than our enemies) is because of how much we didn't want to return to the conditions of earlier times. In those times, it was the individual who was oppressed. If you compare life under any of the conquerors, dictators, etc., it was individual needs which were sacrificed for the goals of those in power. This is why communism does not and will never work. It is a system which doesn't understand the importance of satisfying individual psychological needs.

It might sound like I am agreeing with your statement, "A healthy society is a society comprised of healthy individuals." I do as an overall principle; what I disagree with is that morality is the way to psychological health. Moral philosophizing and mere behavior doesn't satisfy very deeply, and therefore will never (in my opinion) "work" to create a healthy society. Rather, it is when a person has opportunities to participate in self-empowering and beneficial activities that goodness is experienced, enjoyed, and which then entices a person back for more.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
But I don't think its a coincidence that the countries that employ the most modern political theories (a reflection of their moral code) are the ones that are the most successful.

Don't you think it's a circularity?

Q: Whose political theories are the most modern?
A: Of the most successful countries, of course.

Les Sleeth said:
Also, I don't accept that God decrees certain standards of living. As far as I can tell, religous morality stems from men speaking for God, and that arrogance is another reason why morality preachers turn a lot of people off.
I often hear such arguments. If God decreed moral standards, and you said "I don't accept that you decree certain standards of living", you would have effected no change in the matter. Nonetheless, I shall leave it to the reader to determine the validity of this premise.

Les Sleeth said:
You might surmise I've had some contact with preachers, and you'd be right. I was raised in a fundamentalist family, and exposed to copius amounts of moralizing by some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever encountered. Now, among those religious was a very old woman who stood out as an exception to me. She didn't preach morality, but instead exhibited love. We had a talk when I was 11 years old after I decided I was going to hell because there was no way I could live up to all the commandments. Sher impressed me when she said, "if you live in the experience of love and sincerity, then you don't have to worry about the commandments . . . love and sincerity will make you perfect."
But this is a moral statement! Why should anyone be "loving and sincere"? Why not a selfish, arrogant prick?

Les Sleeth said:
Today I look at people who preach morality, and mostly what I see are religious "behaviorists." They want to "behave" correctly, but too often without the heart of it present -- love and sincerity.
Good for them. I am not concerned here with the nature of the application, but rather with the understanding of the basic construction.

Les Sleeth said:
Maybe so, but that doesn't mean people have the right to dictate personal morality to others, and it also doesn't mean that preaching it is going to do anything other than cause people to turn a deaf ear.
If the perspective is true that the personal affairs of oneself is an empty set, then the right of people to dictate morality is moot. Their exists no right to do so, but neither is there a directive against doing so.

Last edited:
dschouten said:
I often hear such arguments. If God decreed moral standards, and you said "I don't accept that you decree certain standards of living", you would have effected no change in the matter. Nonetheless, I shall leave it to the reader to determine the validity of this premise.

It is not an "argument" to me because I haven't experienced anything to argue against. I look at reality, and I don't see any decrees from God. I only see decrees from men, some of whom claim they are speaking for God. Are you saying it is evident that God decreed morality? If so, I'd love to see you make that case (with evidence).

dschouten said:
But this is a moral statement! Why should anyone be "loving and sincere"? Why not a selfish, arrogant prick?

If you think her's was a moral statement, then you and I are on two different planets. I am distinguishing between behavioral prescriptions, and feeling something. Surely you can see the difference. A robot can be programmed to behave in a loving way without ever actually experiencing love. I know marriages like that, with all the politeness and expressions of affection, yet very little heart behind the behavior. Maybe you would be satisfied with your wife merely behaving in a loving way, but I want mine to feel it or I'm not interested. The same is true for so-called morality. I would choose a sincere person any day for a friend over the person trying to "behave" morally.

dschouten said:
Good for them. I am not concerned here with the nature of the application, but rather with the understanding of the basic construction.

Well, as a moralist, your position makes perfect sense. Here's my impression of moralists. They are stiff. They can be cold-hearted or mean-spirited, even if perfectly "behaved." They are self-righteous. They are preachy. They often find ways to morally justify improper actions.

My experience has been it is often those who are most afraid to trust their heart who preach morals most passionately.

Les Sleeth said:
It is not an "argument" to me because I haven't experienced anything to argue against. I look at reality, and I don't see any decrees from God. I only see decrees from men, some of whom claim they are speaking for God. Are you saying it is evident that God decreed morality? If so, I'd love to see you make that case (with evidence).
Yours is very much an argumentative response. It is precisely the response given to the statement in my previous post concerning the possible reasons for enforcing moral codification (namely, the religious foundations of morality). To say that "I don't accept religious foundations of morality" is to present a de facto argument.

Can I prove that God decreed morality? Not in this forum (cop-out noted).

Les Sleeth said:
If you think her's was a moral statement, then you and I are on two different planets. I am distinguishing between behavioral prescriptions, and feeling something. Surely you can see the difference. A robot can be programmed to behave in a loving way without ever actually experiencing love. I know marriages like that, with all the politeness and expressions of affection, yet very little heart behind the behavior. Maybe you would be satisfied with your wife merely behaving in a loving way, but I want mine to feel it or I'm not interested. The same is true for so-called morality. I would choose a sincere person any day for a friend over the person trying to "behave" morally.

Well, as a moralist, your position makes perfect sense.
Oh, give me a break; your self-righteous persecution complex is making me sick. I don't want to hear your life story. This forum is entitled "are the moraly right the victors of war?" and we have been discussing the nature of morality as a direct consequence. Discussions of the application are entirely secondary here, and so these moralists of which you so often speak, as well as all of your other pet peeves, should be properly relegated to a forum entitled "The pseudo-doctrine of Les Sleeth".

Les Sleeth said:
Here's my impression of moralists. They are stiff. They can be cold-hearted or mean-spirited, even if perfectly "behaved." They are self-righteous. They are preachy. They often find ways to morally justify improper actions.

My experience has been it is often those who are most afraid to trust their heart who preach morals most passionately.
I take this as a personal attack. You dub me a moralist, and then proceed to describe moralists as stiff, arrogant, cold-hearted etc. etc.

Therefore, I shall not dignifiy any more of your posts in this forum with a response.

Last edited:
dschouten said:
I take this as a personal attack. You dub me a moralist, and then proceed to describe moralists as stiff, arrogant, cold-hearted etc. etc.

I will start with this since I didn't mean what I said as a personal attack. Sorry for how it came off, but what I meant to say (but failed to), was that your statement from the position of supporting moralism made sense.

I then went on to describe the traits in moralists I don't care for. I don't know if you are a practicing moralist or not, and especially if you embody any of the personality traits I listed. I was only talking about those moralists I do know.

dschouten said:
Yours is very much an argumentative response. It is precisely the response given to the statement in my previous post concerning the possible reasons for enforcing moral codification (namely, the religious foundations of morality). To say that "I don't accept religious foundations of morality" is to present a de facto argument.

I was saying it's not an "argument," in the sense of responding to some proposition which I need to refute. It was you who said to "assume God decreed . . ." I haven't found any evidence of God decreeing morals that's convincing enough to make me "assume" what you suggest I should. If you assert something not self-evident, the burden is on you to make it evident before asking other to assume it's true.

dschouten said:
Oh, give me a break; your self-righteous persecution complex is making me sick. I don't want to hear your life story.

What's that, your idea of politeness and humility? Let's see, what was I saying about moralists?