Are the questions decidable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary: N}_0$?Then $i \in M$ and $j \notin M$, so $M\neq \emptyset$ and $M\neq \mathbb{N}_0$, and now we acan apply Rice's theorem.Yes.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Are the following questions decidable? Give an appropriate algorithm or show that the problem is undecidable using Rice's theorem.
  1. Does an arbitrary Turing machine halt with all inputs less than or equal to 1000 within the first 1000 steps?
  2. Does an arbitrary algorithm with the appropriate input give a number, that interpreted as a string, it is palindrome?
  3. Does an arbitrary algorithm, that does not halt for at least one input, give any natural number as an output value?
I have done the following:

1. It is decidable whether a deterministic Turing halts within the first $ 1000 $ steps for any input less than or equal to $ 1000 $.

We execute the Turing machine sequentially on all words $ w \in \Sigma^{\star} $ with $ w \leq 1000 $ for a maximum of $ 1000 $ steps.

If we have simulated at most $ 1000 $ steps, we hold and the output is "yes", otherwise we stop as soon as we have simulated the Turing machine on all words $ w $ and the output is "no".

Is this correct?
  2. To use Rice's theorem do we have to find a function that has a palindrome output and one that has not a palindrome output, to get a non-trivial property?
  3. Let $\phi$ be the function that is computed by an algorithm. We consider the set $M=\{i\in \mathbb{N}_0\mid \text{ For all } n\in \mathbb{N}_0 \ \phi_i(n) \text{ is defined }\}$, or not?

Let $i,j \in \mathbb{N}_0$ with $\phi_i = n$ for some natural number $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and $\phi_j\neq m\in \mathbb{N}$ (since the machine does not halt for at least one input).

Then $i \in M$ and $j \notin M$, so $M\neq \emptyset$ and $M\neq \mathbb{N}_0$, and now we acan apply Rice's theorem.

Is that correct?

(Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
It is decidable whether a deterministic Turing halts within the first $ 1000 $ steps for any input less than or equal to $ 1000 $.

We execute the Turing machine sequentially on all words $ w \in \Sigma^{\star} $ with $ w \leq 1000 $ for a maximum of $ 1000 $ steps.
Strictly speaking, it is not clear how to compare a word $w$ and the number 1000, and what the alphabet $\Sigma$ is in this case.

mathmari said:
If we have simulated at most $ 1000 $ steps, we hold
"Halt", not "hold". Can we halt after 5 steps because 5 is less than 1000?

mathmari said:
and the output is "yes"
After running the machine on a single word?

In general I agree with this answer, but it should be written more precisely, possibly using pseudocode.

mathmari said:
Does an arbitrary algorithm with the appropriate input give a number, that interpreted as a string, it is palindrome?
Please write the version of Rice's theorem you are using. Sometimes, for example in te Sipser's textbook, it is formulated for machines that only accept or reject their input but otherwise produce no output.

mathmari said:
Does an arbitrary algorithm, that does not halt for at least one input, give any natural number as an output value?
What else can a machine give as an output value? I am not sure I understand the property of algorithms that has to be recognized. Could you write it more precisely, preferably using a formula?

mathmari said:
Let $\phi$ be the function that is computed by an algorithm.
This sound like "Let $y$ be the square of a number". Which number?

1. Are there certain types of questions that are always decidable?

Yes, there are certain types of questions that are always decidable. For example, questions that have a finite number of possible answers or can be answered using a known algorithm are considered decidable.

2. What makes a question decidable?

A question is considered decidable if there exists an algorithm or method that can be used to determine the answer in a finite amount of time. This means that the question has a definite and unambiguous answer.

3. Can undecidable questions ever be solved?

No, undecidable questions cannot be solved. This is because they do not have a definitive answer and cannot be determined by any known algorithm or method. These types of questions are often open-ended and can lead to infinite loops or contradictions.

4. Are there any real-world applications for undecidable questions?

Yes, there are real-world applications for undecidable questions. For example, the halting problem, which is a famous undecidable question in computer science, has practical implications in software development and programming languages.

5. How do undecidable questions impact scientific research?

Undecidable questions can have a significant impact on scientific research. They can lead to new discoveries and advancements in fields such as mathematics and computer science. They also challenge scientists to think critically and come up with creative solutions to problems that do not have a definitive answer.