Are the Republicans finally rejecting Right-wing radio?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Like it's counterpart on the left wing, right wing radio is the domain of extremists. And to the extremists on the right, even Bush is too liberal. To 'ordinary' conservatives, these guys are an irrelevancy anyway. McCain's victory will do nothing to change any of that, just as Clinton's victory didn't make the left-wing wackos jump ship either.
I agree. They aren't going anywhere. They aren't supporting the Republican party, per se, they are supporting an extreme faction of it, so will not hesitate to attack any moderate Republican to try to garner support for the more right wing extremists. I think they've already realized they're out for 2008 and are setting their sights on 2012.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Like it's counterpart on the left wing, right wing radio is the domain of extremists.
Left-wing radio doesn't work. There is no real counterpart because liberals don't tend to incite hate. Instead they swoon over issues.

McCain's victory will do nothing to change any of that, just as Clinton's victory didn't make the left-wing wackos jump ship either.
It's not that McCain's victory will change anything, rather McCain's victory is evidence that times are changing - people have learned that hate radio betrayed them with Bush and his war. Of course the Limbaughs of the world blame Bush because they are too small to admit that they were 100% wrong! And all but the most die-hard ditto-head can recognize the Bush admin has been a disaster.

It is clear that these guys have been highly relevant for the right - they made the Bush circus possible. All that one must do is consider the size of his audience and then listen to the nonsense that listeners regurgitate, like the Swift Boat attacks, in order to appreciate the impact.

Left-wing radio doesn't work. There is no real counterpart because liberals don't tend to incite hate. Instead they swoon over issues.
I've heard just as much hate from the liberals as I have the conservatives. And just as many lies and half truths. It's the nature of the medium. You have to be shocking in order to get the ratings and survive. Since the audience for talk radio is predominantly conservative and "liberal" radio tends to focus on entertainment I'd imagine liberal hosts for political shows are likely worse due to their need to "entertain" their target audience. An exception being NPR/BBC which is the only news radio the liberals I know listen to. All other liberal to centrist hosts I have heard on the radio who didn't unashamedly use shock tactics didn't last.

With all due respect, let's hope the golden age of baseless hate group comparisons has ended as well. In exactly what way is RWR similar to the KKK?
once there were liberal members of the GOP in the south few in numbers true but
very liberal and the rightwingers were all in the demo camp [ dixiecrat ]

most of the same people, who were anti civil rights, became the core of the southern shift
from the dixiecrat wing of the demo's to the new southern GOP with a short stop in the
George Wallace, camp in 68

they lost the race based fear code words and used instead the new law and order
and anti-welfare code words like forced busing, states' rights once the battles of the schools and jim crow laws was over
but the under lieing ideas remained

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

sorry but the people who supported the KKK
became the new supporters of the southern GOP
I watched it happen

I think the BBC summed it up best. The Hard Core Republicans would rather lose than endorse someone not in the "inner circle" of their beliefs.

IMO, McCain is the only Republican that might ensure a Republican win over a white woman or a black man. I know we aren't supposed to admit that there is racism in America or that there isn't the good ol' boy attitude that a woman's place is in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. Fact is, there is a large part of this country that still lives in the past, and a Republican white male that is considered more liberal could steal a lot of Democratic votes away.
If any minority will not get elected , I'd put my money on athiests. There was a poll taken a few years back that said most americans, even if the candidate had suggested pertinent policies , would not elect that candidate if he said he were atheist . Now thats a darn shame.