Are the two wave functions from a double slit (in single particle int) entangled?

In summary, experiments with photons, electrons, and even molecules have shown single particle interference, but I have not heard of carbon molecules being entangled. This might be because single particle interference does not always produce entanglement, as is the case with bucky balls. However, the reference [1] mentions entanglement, so it is possible that carbon molecules are entangled."
San K
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement#cite_note-0"

Quantum entanglement occurs when electrons, molecules even as large as "buckyballs", photons, etc., interact physically and then become separated;

Is there an experiment where bucky balls are entangled?

Many of us have heard about bucky balls showing single particle interference in a double slit experiment. However I have not heard of them being entangled.

I read the reference [1] for the above quote and it is referring to double slit as well, there is no mention of bucky balls being entangled.

or

Is the above quote saying that the two waves-functions in a double slit are entangled?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
San K said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement#cite_note-0"
Is there an experiment where bucky balls are entangled?

Many of us have heard about bucky balls showing single particle interference in a double slit experiment. However I have not heard of them being entangled.

I read the reference [1] for the above quote and it is referring to double slit as well, there is no mention of bucky balls being entangled.

or

Is the above quote saying that the two waves-functions in a double slit are entangled?

"buckyballs" is not in my dictionnary. Please be more explicit.

In most experiments with double slits - but some very finely tuned and synchronized lasers - the same quanton interferes with itself. The same photon, with the rare exceptions quoted above. The same electron, with no exceptions, the same neutron, with no exception : they are fermions. The only one condition at arrival on the absorber is that both branches of path give the same phase at [itex]2k\pi[/itex].
Of course one quanton - whichever it be, photon or electron or else - has only one absorber, and you only retrieve the familiar macroscopic picture of interference fringes by repeating on many of these shoots.

Jacques_L said:
"buckyballs" is not in my dictionnary. Please be more explicit.

In most experiments with double slits - but some very finely tuned and synchronized lasers - the same quanton interferes with itself. The same photon, with the rare exceptions quoted above. The same electron, with no exceptions, the same neutron, with no exception : they are fermions. The only one condition at arrival on the absorber is that both branches of path give the same phase at [itex]2k\pi[/itex].
Of course one quanton - whichever it be, photon or electron or else - has only one absorber, and you only retrieve the familiar macroscopic picture of interference fringes by repeating on many of these shoots.

Hello Jacques,

to answer your question...buckyballs are fullerene/carbon molecules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene"

however my question is more about the following:

1. scientist have been able to show single particle (self-)interference with carbon molecules. these are thousands of times larger than photons/electrons etc.

however I have not heard of carbon molecules being entangled. yet the Wikipedia link above mentions entanglement. so I am thinking are they referring to single particle interference and somehow relating that to entanglement?

2. in other words, is there a relationship between coherence (i.e. same phase) and entanglement?

we know, and as you said above, coherence (at 2kpi) is needed for interference.

3. on a separate topic: you got me curious, why would very finely tuned and synchronized lasers, not show interference?

San K said:
... why would very finely tuned and synchronized lasers, not show interference?

They do :
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AZtqb35tanAJ:hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/56/39/08/PS/CRAS_Laser_IFRAF_11_02_06_arxiv.ps+cache:7VN0_F2KezgJ:www.lkb.ens.fr/Publications,549+ultra+cold+atoms+Kastler+laser&cd=9&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&source=www.google.fr
Otherwise in PS format :
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/56/39/08/PS/CRAS_Laser_IFRAF_11_02_06_arxiv.ps

1. What is entanglement in quantum mechanics?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other particle, even when they are separated by a large distance.

2. How does entanglement occur in the double slit experiment?

In the double slit experiment, a single particle is sent through two slits and creates an interference pattern. This particle can be described by a wave function, which represents the probability of the particle being in a certain location. When the particle is measured at one slit, the wave function collapses and the particle's position is determined. However, this measurement also affects the wave function of the particle that went through the other slit, creating an entangled state between the two particles.

3. Can entanglement occur with more than two particles in the double slit experiment?

Yes, entanglement can occur with multiple particles in the double slit experiment. When multiple particles are sent through the double slit, their wave functions become entangled with each other. This can result in more complex interference patterns and correlations between the particles.

4. What is the significance of entanglement in the double slit experiment?

Entanglement in the double slit experiment helps to demonstrate the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics. It shows that particles can be connected in ways that cannot be explained by classical physics and that the act of measurement can affect the behavior of particles even when they are separated by a large distance.

5. How is entanglement in the double slit experiment related to the concept of superposition?

In the double slit experiment, the particle exists in a state of superposition, meaning it can exist in multiple locations at the same time. When the particle is measured, it collapses into one of these locations. However, the measurement also affects the state of the other particle, demonstrating how entanglement and superposition are closely linked in quantum mechanics.