Is Time Subjective or Objective in Spacetime?

• Thread starter riezer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, there are at least 2 kinds of time: proper time, which is what we experience with a clock, and coordinate time, which is just a label we use to determine an event's position in time.
riezer
Are there 2 kinds of time? One from Spacetime and the other time is subjective time where we experience time? Or could our time and the time in Spacetime the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two different sorts of time I'm most familiar with are proper time, and coordinate time. Proper time is what you actually measure with a clock, it would also be "what you experience". Coordinate time is just a label you stick on an event to determine its "position" in time, just as a spatial coordinate determines its "position" in space.

At any particular point in space, there is usually some relationship between the rate at which coordinate time changes, and the rate at which clocks actually tick - this is known as "time dilation". For some reason, people tend to emphasize coordinate time, but in general there are many different coordinate systems possible, in my view that makes it less fundamental.

pervect said:
The two different sorts of time I'm most familiar with are proper time, and coordinate time. Proper time is what you actually measure with a clock, it would also be "what you experience". Coordinate time is just a label you stick on an event to determine its "position" in time, just as a spatial coordinate determines its "position" in space.

At any particular point in space, there is usually some relationship between the rate at which coordinate time changes, and the rate at which clocks actually tick - this is known as "time dilation". For some reason, people tend to emphasize coordinate time, but in general there are many different coordinate systems possible, in my view that makes it less fundamental.

If proper time is what a clock measures, is proper time what is constant? To say it differently, no matter the velocity, a clock will always appear* to tick at the same rate. The "flow/rate/speed" of force is always constant c.

I don't understand "Coordinate time is just a label you stick on an event to determine its "position" in time, just as a spatial coordinate determines its "position" in space." Can you say it differently? I understand position in space, I don't understand "position" in time and how it differs from a position in space. If we are at the same place at the same time, imo we are in the same space.

These two different kinds of time seem to be one of QM and one of GR. Place to fine a point on measurement and well, uncertainty of where/when.

*at same velocity as clock

nitsuj said:
If These two different kinds of time seem to be one of QM and one of GR.
These two concepts exist in both modern QM (QED, QFT) and SR/GR.

nitsuj said:
If proper time is what a clock measures, is proper time what is constant? To say it differently, no matter the velocity, a clock will always appear* to tick at the same rate. The "flow/rate/speed" of force is always constant c.
I have no idea what you mean by your last sentence but proper time is not constant unless you simply mean that two clocks, always next to each other will always have the same times on them no matter how they accelerate together. Otherwise, two clocks that start out next to each other but accelerate differently taking separate paths and finally end up next to each other may not have the same time on them and neither one of them is incorrect or wrong in any sense.
nitsuj said:
I don't understand "Coordinate time is just a label you stick on an event to determine its "position" in time, just as a spatial coordinate determines its "position" in space." Can you say it differently? I understand position in space, I don't understand "position" in time and how it differs from a position in space. If we are at the same place at the same time, imo we are in the same space.
Prior to Einstein, coordinate systems only included postitions of space, made up of three parameters, x, y and z. I'm sure you're familiar with the concept. But in Einstein's Special Relativity, he introduces a new kind of coordinate system which is called a Frame of Reference, which includes the three spatial coordinates but also a time coordinate, which is just an ordinary elapsed time as we are all familiar with. So in a FoR, it takes 4 parameters to define what is called an "event" which is a particular location at a particular time. The reason why time is included in the FoR is that when you want to use a different FoR, one that is moving at a constant speed relative to the first one, there are a set of equations called the Lorentz Transforms that allow you to convert the four parameters from the first FoR to the second FoR and they include time as well as location in the set of equations. So you could have an event in the first FoR that has a time of, say, 20 seconds at location 40, 50, 60 that ends up with a time of 15 seconds at location 30, 50, 60 in the new FoR. They are the same event but with different coordinates for the two Frames of Reference.

ghwellsjr said:
I have no idea what you mean by your last sentence but proper time is not constant unless you simply mean that two clocks, always next to each other will always have the same times on them no matter how they accelerate together. Otherwise, two clocks that start out next to each other but accelerate differently taking separate paths and finally end up next to each other may not have the same time on them and neither one of them is incorrect or wrong in any sense.

The constancy of c is not simple, it's kinda odd. And yes that is what I meant, I added the * to clearify the obvious point of relativity.

Your second comment clearified things for me, thanks.

DaleSpam said:
These two concepts exist in both modern QM (QED, QFT) and SR/GR.

Yea ns,

I meant to say "it's as if..."

In my opinion proper time is like the distance of four dimensional space time of Minkowski space-time (as it is the sum of components squared). But I don't think that space time and our time are very different...we just experience the same time always.

1. What are the two kinds of time?

The two kinds of time are known as objective time and subjective time. Objective time is the measurable passage of time based on clocks and calendars, while subjective time is the perception of time based on individual experiences.

2. How does objective time differ from subjective time?

Objective time is constant and can be measured accurately, while subjective time can vary depending on an individual's perception and experiences. For example, time may feel like it is passing more slowly during a boring activity compared to an enjoyable one.

3. Can we control subjective time?

While we cannot control objective time, there are ways to manipulate our perception of subjective time. Engaging in activities that require our full attention and focus, such as meditation or a challenging task, can make time feel like it is passing more quickly.

4. How does time perception change with age?

As we age, our perception of time may change. Children tend to have a slower perception of time, while older adults may feel like time is passing more quickly. This could be due to the amount of new and novel experiences we have as children compared to as adults.

5. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of subjective time?

Yes, there have been numerous studies and experiments that have shown the existence of subjective time. For example, studies have shown that our perception of time can be influenced by external factors, such as our emotions, attention, and surroundings.