Are there any book can serve as the companion book to Peskin's QFT?

• Thread starter yicong2011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qft
In summary, the individual plans to learn Peskin's QFT from the coming fall semester and spend two years studying for a thorough understanding. They are looking for a companion book that focuses on motivation, physical insight, and conceptual approach, with "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee being a recommended option. They are also considering other books such as "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michele Maggiore, "Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Michio Kaku, "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics" by Ian Johnston & Rhind Aitchison, and "Quantum Field Theory" by Lewis H. Ryder. However, they are worried about choosing only one book
yicong2011
Hi, guys. I will start learning Peskin's QFT from the coming fall semester. I plan to spend 2 years for studying in order to strike a thorough understanding of QFT.

Peskin's QFT book in general is a good one, but it focus on calculation techniques; thus, I think I need a companion book which stresses on the motivation of derivation, physical insight, and conceptual approach. Many people recommend me "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee (Tony. Zee), but I am a bit worried about the organization of this pretty good stuff (It directly flipps into path integral quantization, while Peskin's breaks in canionical quantization at first).

Now I am hesitating in front of the following books (and should make a decision before fall semester):

A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory (by Michele Maggiore)
Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction (by Michio Kaku)
Gauge Theories in Particle Physics (by Ian Johnston & Rhind Aitchison)
Quantum Field Theory (by Lewis. H. Ryder)

I think I can choose only one of them. Learn one subjest via too many textbooks can be annoyed. My way of learning is sticking to two complementary textbooks.

Another big problem of me is that I have never taken a course like "elemetary particle physics". That means I have not read the material covered in David Griffiths' "Introduction to Elementary Particles" or Francis Halzen & Alan D. Martin's "Quarks and Leptons". I am not sure whether should I get one of which to go through it. My friends think it not that necessary to learn particle physics at first, since many people learn QFT well without any pre-knowledge on particle physics.

Your advices would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I made a mistake...

"Gauge Theories in Particle Physics" has been updated to 3rd edition and the authors have changed into "I.J.R. Aitchison, A.J.G. Hey"

Perhaps take a look at Zinn-Justin, his book is Quantum Field Theory and Critical Phenomena. I've always appreciated his style of writing.

naele said:
Perhaps take a look at Zinn-Justin, his book is Quantum Field Theory and Critical Phenomena. I've always appreciated his style of writing.

Thank you very much, good man...

Zinn-Justin's book, I think, should be a marvelous work. Very decent and elegant.

But I think it is good for me only if I use it as my second time learning material. Actually I have not seriously learned QFT before, so what I need currently is a book at "introductory" level...

I would suggest first focusing on understanding Peskin's QFT book thoroughly before moving on to a companion book. It is important to have a solid foundation in the basics before delving into more advanced concepts. However, if you do feel the need for a companion book, I would recommend "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee. It may be organized differently than Peskin's book, but it offers a unique perspective and can provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

Regarding the other books you are considering, it is important to carefully evaluate the content and approach of each book to see which one aligns best with your learning style and goals. It may also be helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from other experts in the field.

As for the issue of not having a background in particle physics, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge in this area in order to learn QFT. However, it may be beneficial to familiarize yourself with basic concepts in particle physics as it can provide a better understanding of the physical motivation behind QFT. You can also supplement your learning with resources such as online lectures or introductory textbooks on particle physics.

Ultimately, the key to successful learning is to have a clear understanding of your goals and to choose resources that will best help you achieve them. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the book "Peskin's QFT" about?

Peskin's QFT, also known as "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder, is a textbook that provides an in-depth understanding of quantum field theory, a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Is "Peskin's QFT" suitable for beginners?

No, "Peskin's QFT" is considered an advanced textbook and is not recommended for beginners. It assumes a strong understanding of quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical mechanics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Peskin's QFT"?

Yes, some recommended prerequisites for "Peskin's QFT" include a strong background in quantum mechanics, special relativity, classical mechanics, and classical electrodynamics.

4. Are there any books that can serve as a companion to "Peskin's QFT"?

Yes, there are several books that can serve as a companion to "Peskin's QFT," including "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee, and "Quantum Field Theory" by Lewis H. Ryder.

5. Can "Peskin's QFT" be used as a reference book?

Yes, "Peskin's QFT" can be used as a reference book for those who already have a strong understanding of quantum field theory. It provides detailed explanations and calculations for various concepts in the field. However, it is not recommended as a stand-alone reference for beginners.