Are there any cool chemical reactions i can do in my own home?

In summary, the conversation discussed various chemistry experiments such as using dyes, borax polymerization, CO2 scrubbing, and making indicators from plant materials. It also mentioned dangerous demonstrations that require proper knowledge and precautions. Some experiments mentioned were making a termite, aluminum and rust powder mixture, and using denatured alcohol to create a rocket-like reaction. However, it was pointed out that these experiments may not be allowed. Another suggestion was to do an osmosis experiment using an egg and different substances such as vinegar, water, and corn syrup. Lastly, it was mentioned that an egg can be cooked by placing it in alcohol due to the denaturing of proteins.
Luongo
like mixing household chemicals together to get a cool reaction to help my brother for the science fair? please don't say baking soda and vinegar half the school is doing that for a volcano.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dyes.

Borax polymerization experiment? (Google for it).

CO2 scrubbing using slaked lime? (CaCO3--chances are that they'll have already done it, however)

However, it might help us a bit more if you told us how much chemistry experience you have (e.g. high school, intro university, etc.) and what level of chemistry this is targeted towards? There are some very cool, but some very, very dangerous demonstrations that can be done, by someone with the right know-how.

EDIT: Slaked lime = calcium oxide (CaO). When you blow into a solution of CaO, it turns milky because the carbon dioxide in your breath reacts with the CaO, and you get calcium carbonate, CaCO3--limestone / chalk.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Dyes.

"Hi, I'm Luongo, and I'm here to tell you about an amazing chemical, called sodium percarbonate! Look at this nice clean white cloth. Pour some red wine on it, mark it up with permanent marker--it's a mess! Throw it away, right?

"No, not with sodium percarbonate! Watch what happens when I pour a bunch of food dye into this salad bowl of water! You'd never wash YOUR clothes in this, right?

"Watch what happens when I mix in sodium percarbonate... The colour disappears right before your very eyes! Now we'll throw in that cloth, mix it around, and PRESTO! It comes out clean!

"Good as new! <FLASH UV LIGHT OVER IT, REVEALING FLUORESCING PATCH WHERE STAIN WAS> Okay, almost as good as new!"

you could make a termite , aluminum powder and rust powder lit with a magnesium wick that was lit with a torch , you can get a magnesium cube at Wal-Mart in the outdoors section its used for starting fires. mix bleach and H202

might do the termite one outside it can burn through plate steel

go to home depot and get denatured alcohol , which is ethanol with usually a little methanol so people don’t drink it , pour about 2 ounces into a milk jug cap it and slowly swish it around and let it vaporize set it on the ground and take the cap off and light it with a candle on a stick and it will shoot it like a rocket across the ground . do this on concrete.

If you buy a black light you can do a oscillating chemiluminescence experiment.

Buy Arm and Hammer dye free laundry detergent
Iodine (tincture)
Vinegar
Vitamin C pillsI forget the ratios and procedure but here is the reference:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007JChEd..84..797WGo to a local public university library and get the reference. I'm sure if you pay $5 or so the reference librarian there will get you a copy.Incredibly safe and very impressive experiment.

cragar said:
you could make a termite , aluminum powder and rust powder lit with a magnesium wick that was lit with a torch , you can get a magnesium cube at Wal-Mart in the outdoors section its used for starting fires. mix bleach and H202

might do the termite one outside it can burn through plate steel

go to home depot and get denatured alcohol , which is ethanol with usually a little methanol so people don’t drink it , pour about 2 ounces into a milk jug cap it and slowly swish it around and let it vaporize set it on the ground and take the cap off and light it with a candle on a stick and it will shoot it like a rocket across the ground . do this on concrete.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to do any of these experiments.

.Try making and testing indicators from different plant material such as beetroot ,turmeric and red cabbage.

gravenewworld said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to do any of these experiments.

my bad

You could also do an osmosis experiment with an egg.

If you soak an egg in vinegar for a day or two, the shell will mostly be eaten away.

By soaking this egg in water, the egg will expand to a much larger size.

If, instead of water, you soak this egg in corn syrup, the egg will get much smaller size.

All due to osmosis.

you could cook an egg by , cracking it and setting it in a glass of alcohol , the alcohol will denature the protiens in the egg.

1. What are some safe chemical reactions I can do at home?

There are several safe chemical reactions that you can do at home, such as the baking soda and vinegar reaction, the lemon juice and baking soda reaction, and the milk and dish soap reaction. These reactions produce fun and visually appealing results without the use of harmful chemicals.

2. Can I do any chemical reactions with household items?

Yes, there are many chemical reactions that you can do with household items. Some examples include mixing bleach and vinegar to create a cleaning solution, combining baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to make a homemade toothpaste, and mixing salt and vinegar to create a rust-removing solution.

3. How can I make a chemical reaction more exciting?

To make a chemical reaction more exciting, you can try adding food coloring to see a change in color, using different temperatures of water or other liquids, or experimenting with different ratios of ingredients to see varying results. You can also try creating a volcano eruption by mixing baking soda and vinegar in a bottle or container.

4. Are there any chemical reactions that produce heat or a flame?

Yes, there are chemical reactions that produce heat or a flame, but these should only be done under adult supervision and with proper safety precautions. Some examples include the reaction between potassium chlorate and sugar, which produces a flame, and the reaction between calcium carbide and water, which produces heat and flammable gases.

5. Is it safe to mix different chemicals together for a reaction?

No, it is not safe to mix different chemicals together for a reaction unless you are knowledgeable about their properties and potential hazards. Mixing certain chemicals can result in dangerous reactions, so it is important to always follow proper safety precautions and guidelines when conducting experiments at home.