1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Are there any kinds of functions which satisfy f(A1 ∩ A2) =f(A1) ∩ f(A2)? Prove your

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    Are there any kinds of functions which satisfy f(A1 ∩ A2) =f(A1) ∩ f(A2)? Prove your claim.?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Are there any kinds of functions which satisfy f(A1 ∩ A2) =f(A1) ∩ f(A2)? Prove y

The identity function f(x) = x

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    Re: Are there any kinds of functions which satisfy f(A1 ∩ A2) =f(A1) ∩ f(A2)? Prove y

The identity function?

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4

This is true for every f:

[tex]f(A\cap B)\supset f(A)\cap f(B)[/tex]

This is true for every injective f:

[tex]f(A\cap B)\subset f(A)\cap f(B)[/tex]

So the answer to your question is: yes, every injective function.

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5

Yes, namely: all one to one functions.

Now try proving this and show us your work.

7. Sep 15, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please do not double-post your questions.

8. Sep 15, 2010 #7

In order to show that it is a one-to-one function( Injective) i have go the following steps but i don't know where to go with it after it is confusing....

Let x be an element of f(A1 ∩ A2) and by definition of the f(A1 ∩ A2), there is a y element in ( A1 ∩ A2) so that f(y)=x.
    Since y is an element in (A1 ∩ A2), y∈A1x∈A2. Since y,f(y)∈ f(A1).
    This follows alongside y,f(y)f(A2)
    and
    Since f(y)=x∈f(A1) and f(y)=x∈f(A2),x= f(A1)(f(A2)

9. Sep 15, 2010 #8

In this case, you want to show the other direction. That, if x is in f(A1) ∩ f(A2) and f is injective, then x is also in f(A1 ∩ A2).

10. Sep 15, 2010 #9

So can you tell me whether i am correct now??

So, let y∈f(A1)∩f(A2); then y∈f(A1) and y∈f(A2). Then there is an x1∈A1 and an x2∈A2 with f(x1)=f(x2)=y. But since f is one-to-one, x1=x2, and so y∈f(A1∩A2), completing the proof.

11. Sep 15, 2010 #10

That's correct.

12. Sep 15, 2010 #11

Thank You:)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook