Are there any other bipeds on Earth besides humans?

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary: Phobos,In summary, there are many bipeds on Earth, including humans. Kangaroos and wallabies are examples of true bipeds. Kangaroo rats are almost completely bipedal. Kangaroos and wallabies are somewhat problematic, because when not in motion, they often use their tail as a third point of contact. In that sense, they are not strictly bipedal.. Is your question in relation to convergent evolution? Or are you just curious?
RAD4921
Are there any other bipeds on Earth besides humans? I am not talking about animals such as chimps that walk partially on two legs or animals that do it occassionally. I am talking about an animal that spends its whole life walking on two limbs and qualifies as a true biped. Thanks
Robert

Biology news on Phys.org
Birds spring to mind.

Ratites such as ostriches and emus in paritcular are on the same scale as humans, but all birds meet the qualification since their other pair of limbs evolved into wings.

There were also many bipedal dinosaurs.

Kangaroos and wallabies are. Kangaroo rats are almost completely bipedal.

SkepticJ said:
Kangaroos and wallabies are. Kangaroo rats are almost completely bipedal.
Kangaroos are somewhat problematic, because when not in motion, they often use their tail as a third point of contact. In that sense, they are not strictly bipedal..

Is your question in relation to convergent evolution? Or are you just curious?

Nautica

Bipeds

I am just curious. i never thought of birds as bipeds and I don't know idf science does classify them as so. They are good examples of animals that do use two limbs when traveling on the ground. Thanks
Robert

alpha_wolf said:
Kangaroos are somewhat problematic, because when not in motion, they often use their tail as a third point of contact. In that sense, they are not strictly bipedal..

Yeah, and humans lean against walls or rocks. Or sit in a chair or recline on a bed when at rest. If they can and do stand without using their tail then I say they're bipeds. If they rest using their tail as a prop that's a different matter.
I'm at a loss to think of any other bipeds really. There is that monkey that hops along sideways on two legs. Hey, what about gibbons? They use only their arms when swinging through the branches. Basilisk lizards run bipedally on water.

Last edited:
RAD4921 said:
I am just curious. i never thought of birds as bipeds and I don't know idf science does classify them as so. They are good examples of animals that do use two limbs when traveling on the ground. Thanks
Robert

Well ostriches and emus never fly so they count no matter what.

SkepticJ said:
Yeah, and humans lean against walls or rocks. Or sit in a chair or recline on a bed when at rest.
Good point.. Being bipedal is rather difficult. It takes a lot of energy to maintain an upright position, and maintain balance. Much easier to lean against something, or even sit down. Anyway, there's a difference. See below.
If they can and do stand without using their tail then I say they're bipeds. If they rest using their tail as a prop that's a different matter.
That's the point. Although I may be mistaken, AFAIK, they almost never use only their hind legs, except when running (the tail is more usefull for steering and balance than propulsion...). Dogs can walk on their hind legs too for short periods, but they are clearly not bipedal.

Last edited:
alpha_wolf said:
That's the point. Although I may be mistaken, AFAIK, they almost never use only their hind legs, except when running (the tail is more usefull for steering and balance than propulsion...). Dogs can walk on their hind legs too for short periods, but they are clearly not bipedal.

I wonder how they should be classified then? Tripedal? I was under the impression that "pedal" referred to how many legs they use to move along on the ground or on or in water.

SkepticJ said:
I wonder how they should be classified then? Tripedal? I was under the impression that "pedal" referred to how many legs they use to move along on the ground or on or in water.
That's a good question. Technically, the tail is not a leg, so I guess you could call them bipedal. But if I'm correct in saying they use their tail almost like a third leg, then "bipedal" would not be totally accurate.. Then again, it would depend on how you define "bipedal".

I think a little googling could help resolve this issue...

if it exists

!BIGFOOT :devil:

SkepticJ said:
There is that monkey that hops along sideways on two legs.

I think that's a type of lemur that does that. There was a good documentary hosted by John Cleese about it...and of course, he majestically demonstrates the hop as only he can.

Would a penguin count?

aychamo said:
Would a penguin count?

They're birds, walk upright on land and use their flipper wings to "fly" underwater. I'd call them bipeds, or semi bipeds.

aychamo said:
Would a penguin count?

Only with the proper schooling.

education

Phobos,

An uneducated penguin could count.

1. Are there any other bipeds on Earth besides humans?

Yes, there are several other species of bipedal animals on Earth, including apes, kangaroos, and birds.

2. How did humans become bipedal?

The exact reason for the evolution of bipedalism in humans is not fully understood, but it is believed to have been an adaptation for efficient walking and running on two legs.

3. Are there any benefits to being bipedal?

Yes, being bipedal allows for greater mobility and the ability to use our hands for other tasks. It also allows for a more efficient way of walking and running compared to quadrupedal animals.

4. Can other animals evolve to become bipedal?

It is possible for other animals to evolve to become bipedal, but it would require significant changes in their anatomy and behavior. It is also dependent on their environment and the selective pressures that would favor bipedalism.

5. Have there been any other bipedal human-like species on Earth?

There have been several extinct species of bipedal human-like ancestors, such as Homo erectus and Australopithecus. However, modern humans (Homo sapiens) are currently the only surviving bipedal hominid species on Earth.