1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any U.S. universities accpeting GPA 2.3 undergrad for physics research?

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    Are there any U.S. universities/colleges accepting GPA 2.3 undergrad for physics research(free of charge)?
    I heard that MPhil and Phd is free of charge(no tuition fee) as working as a T.A. or R.A.
    Can you give me some names/lists? If this is not right can you send me a message? Thanks.

Background:
    Major: Physics(2nd year)
    GPA: 2.3

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

4. Aug 11, 2010 #3
    I'm afraid he's correct. You need to get back in there and boost that GPA.

5. Aug 11, 2010 #4
    But i thought grad school never take in people who retake courses just to boost their gpa.

6. Aug 11, 2010 #5
    They also never take C students.

7. Aug 12, 2010 #6
    The post you quoted did not imply that this was the only way. The OP can increase his GPA by doing much, much, much better in his later courses.

8. Aug 12, 2010 #7
    Try "University of Minnesota - Duluth". They accept half of the students that apply (I checked the big book APS has of physics-schools' statistics), and you can go for free.

Since bringing up your GPA will take a long time, you should find some other bargaining chip to bring to the table: high General GRE scores, for instance, or research experience (although: that also happens on lengthy timescale).

Finally: I would seriously ask myself what personal deficits in my character led to such low grades...at least as far as your ability to serve the scientific community is concerned. For instance: during research, things will go wrong and you'll make mistakes and have to do lots of troubleshooting...is your 2.3 GPA indicative of a lack of ability to act in a situation like that?

I hope your path is blessed.

9. Aug 12, 2010 #8
    Oh...I didn't notice you were 20. You're not sunk. You're already thinking about grad school...that's good. Bring up those grades.

For me: I kind of got low grades until I realized that I was not good at solving physics problems. I wasn't able to be a good physicist until my advisor convinced me to solve extracurricular problems. Then, my test scores started going up... : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook