Are there Parallel Universes ?

In summary: A universe is a space where everything live. By extension, parallel universes are in reality added structure to the existing all encompassing universe that everything and everyone lives in. Parallel universes are also speculative physics that are currently unproven. There are three versions of parallel universes- the infinite universe, where each is like its own universe, multiple big bangs, where each big bang creates its own universe, and the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, where every option on every level creates a new universe.
PhyHunter
Are there Parallel Universes ?

Space news on Phys.org
And how can they affect our universe ?

Parallel universes are speculative physics. We have no way currently of knowing whether or not they exist. There are also several theories that describe different types of parallel universes and how they fit into mainstream physics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

By definition, a universe contains everything there is so by extension parallel universes are in reality added structure to the existing all encompassing universe that everything and everyone lives in.

I had an interesting discussion about this with my grandfather a couple of weeks ago. I think where a lot of us get hung up is the string theory interpretation of "alternate universes" where everytime some event occurs, the universe splits and forms a separate universe where the opposite decision was made. This is an interesting theory, but that is all it is.

I just recently had this thought, however; We are a very small planet, in a small galaxy in a vast universe. we have little knowledge of many things outside our galaxy, let alone things that might exist outside the range of what we know. about 13 billion light years in any direction is as far as light has traveled since the universe began. however, this light is continually expanding, and always will. which leads me to believe, that beyond our universe, there has to be additional space that we are taking up with our expansion. So, what I'm thinking is that there is a posibility of other universes existing out in space. these universes would be in addition to ours, not parallel universes that couldn't be seen. So it wouldn't be universes where I exist but didnt marry my wife, or didnt go to college, or didnt have a baby, they would be universes just like ours where millions, billions, maybe even trillions of other unique, individual beings exist. although with our current technology (and likely none in the near or probably even distant future) we would never be able to see them, but theoretically, if they existed we could if the technology existed.

Of course I've not founded any of this in anything other than speculation, but its a fun thought.

Yes

As far as I know there are three versions of parallel universes.

Firstly is the infinite universe. This means that there are infinite numbers of observable universes. Each is like its own universe. This also implies that there are repeats of this world within our own universe.

Secondly there are multiple big bangs. Each big bang creates its own universe with its own equations and constants. Some would be so inhospitable that atoms couldn't be made and others could be really hospitable and life and chemistry would be really interesting. Others would be just like ours.

Lastly, there is the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. This means that every option on every level creates a new universe.

pnorm91 said:
So, what I'm thinking is that there is a posibility of other universes existing out in space. these universes would be in addition to ours, not parallel universes that couldn't be seen.

That doesn't make any sense. How are you defining 'a universe?' What makes something in space a "different universe?"

1. What is a parallel universe?

A parallel universe is a hypothetical universe that exists alongside our own, where the laws of physics and the fundamental constants may be different.

2. How do scientists study parallel universes?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence for the existence of parallel universes, so they cannot be studied directly. However, some theories, such as the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics, suggest the existence of parallel universes. Scientists also study the concept of parallel universes through mathematical models and thought experiments.

3. Are there any experiments or observations that support the existence of parallel universes?

No, there is currently no experimental or observational evidence that supports the existence of parallel universes. The concept of parallel universes is purely theoretical and remains a subject of debate among scientists.

4. Can we travel to a parallel universe?

As of now, there is no known way to travel to a parallel universe. The laws of physics as we understand them do not allow for such travel. However, some scientists speculate that advanced technology or understanding of the laws of physics could potentially make interdimensional travel possible in the future.

5. Are parallel universes just science fiction?

While the concept of parallel universes has been explored in science fiction, it is also a subject of scientific inquiry. Many scientists and physicists are actively researching and discussing the possibility of parallel universes. While there is no concrete evidence yet, the concept is not considered purely science fiction.