Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there sets that are not partitionable in certain ways?

1. May 20, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are there sets that are not partitionable in certain ways? For exemple, can I partition [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] into a collection of singletons?

Can I partition [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] into a collection of lines of slope 2?

If so, how would you write each of those partitions?

Thx.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2005 #2
    For the first one: for every [tex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] let [tex]U_x = \{x\}[/tex]. Then [tex]\cup_{x \in \mathbb{R}} U_x = \mathbb{R}[/tex] and obviously all [tex]U_x[/tex] are disjoint from one another, and are singletons.

For the second: for every [tex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] let [tex]U_a = \{(x, y) | y = 2x + a\}[/tex] (I wish I knew LaTeX better).

Then take [tex](x_0, y_0) \in \mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and notice that [tex](x_0, y_0) \in U_{y_0 - 2x_0}[/tex]. Thus [tex]\cup_{a \in \mathbb{R}} U_a = \mathbb{R}^2[/tex]. A simple calculation will also reveal that [tex]U_a[/tex] and [tex] U_b[/tex] are either equal or disjoint (for any real a, b).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?