Are these correct? need a little help

• Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
In summary, "correct" in this context refers to the accuracy or validity of something, and the type of help needed would depend on the specific situation. This could involve asking for clarification or guidance, or assistance with a task or project. Whether someone is looking for confirmation or correction would also depend on the situation. The best way to provide help would vary depending on the individual and their learning style, and it's important to actively listen and communicate to ensure effectiveness. To support and assist in finding a solution, it's important to actively listen, ask questions, and offer guidance and resources while allowing the individual to make their own decisions and learn from the experience.
barthayn
Are these right?

Hi, I just did 2/3 of my assignment for physics and had trouble with the first question. I was wondering if I was correct. Please look over my work.

Homework Statement

3. Two planes fly from Toronto to Philadelphia. Plane A flies via Pittsburgh where as passengers on plane B have a direct flight. Pittsburgh is 350 hm due south of Toronto and 390 km due west of Philadelphia. The airspeed of both planes is 400km/h and a steady wind is blowing from the east at 60km/h.
a)What direction must the pilot point the plane flying from Toronto to Pittsburgh. Include a vector diagram of velocities.
b) How long will the entire flight take for plane A assuming a 0.50h layover in Pittsburgh?

4. A shell is fired from a cliff that is 36m above the horizontal plane. The muzzle speed of the shell is 80m/s and it is fired at an elevation of 25o above the horizontal.
a) Determine the horizontal range of the shell.
b) Determine the velocity of the shell as it strikes the ground.

Homework Equations

v = d/t
y = ((vi+vf)/2)t
vf2 = vi2 + 2ay

The Attempt at a Solution

3. a) I drew a vector diagram. The hypothesis of the side of the triangle was 400km/h whilst the opposite was 60km/h. The other side (adjacent) turned out to be around 395km/h. This was a right angle triangle.

I used TANθ=o/a
TANθ = 60/395
TANθ = 0.1517
θ = 9o

Therefore the plane must travel 400km/h [9o S of W] To reach Pittsburgh. Is this correct?

b) I used the same diagram and got t = d/v
t = 350/395
t = 0.885h

Vtotal = vnormal-vair
Vtotal = 400 - 60
Vtotal = 340km/h

t= d/v
t= 390/340
t= 1.14

ttotal = 1.14+.5+0.885
ttotal = 2.5h

Therefore it would take 2.5h with the 0.5h layover.

4 a) let up be negative
vf2 = (-.33.8)2+19.6*36
vf2 = 1143.08+705.6
vf2 = 1848.68
vf2 = 42.99m/s
vf2 = 43m/s

t = ((2y)/(vi+vf))
t = 72 / 76.8057
t = 0.93s

d = tv
d = 80cos25*0.93
d = 68m

Therefore the horizontal range of the shell is 68m.

I used my final velocity for the y-axis to get two sides of the diagram because horizontal does not change.

c2 = 42.992 = (80cos25)2
c2 = 1848.68
c = 42.99m/s

TANθ = o/a
TANθ = (80cos25)/42.99
TANθ =1.6863
θ = 59.33
θ = 59

Therefore the shell hit the ground at 84m/s [59o below the horizontal].

Are these all correct? Did I do 3 a correct? Where can I improve?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am not able to view your vector diagram or the equations you used, so I cannot comment on those. However, I will provide some guidance and corrections for your solutions.

3a) The direction must be towards the southwest, not directly west. Also, the angle should be 9 degrees south of west, not 9 degrees south of southwest. So the final answer should be 9 degrees S of W.

3b) Your calculation for the time for the second leg of the trip is incorrect. The wind is blowing east, so it will actually decrease the time it takes for the plane to travel from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. Your calculation should be t = d/v = 390/460 = 0.85 hours. So the total time for the flight would be 0.85 + 0.5 + 0.885 = 2.235 hours.

4a) Your calculation for the final velocity in the y-direction is incorrect. The y-component of the initial velocity should be positive, not negative. So it should be vf^2 = (33.8)^2 + 19.6*36 = 1848.68. The rest of your calculations are correct.

4b) Your calculation for the velocity is incorrect. You should use the final velocity in the x-direction, which is the same as the initial velocity. So the velocity of the shell as it strikes the ground is 80 m/s.

Overall, your solutions are mostly correct, but there are a few minor errors. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you understand the equations and concepts being used. Great job on completing most of your assignment!

What does "correct" mean in this context?

In this context, "correct" refers to the accuracy or validity of something. It could be asking if a statement or answer is factually correct, or if a method or procedure is being performed correctly.

What kind of help is needed?

The type of help needed would depend on the context. It could be asking for clarification or guidance on a certain topic, or assistance with a task or project.

Are you looking for confirmation or correction?

This would depend on the specific situation. If someone is asking for help with a task or project, they may be looking for confirmation that they are on the right track or for corrections to improve their work.

What is the best way to provide help in this situation?

The best way to provide help would depend on the individual and their learning style. Some may benefit from step-by-step instructions, while others may prefer visual aids or hands-on demonstrations. It's important to communicate and ask for feedback to ensure the help is effective.

How can I best support and assist in finding a solution?

To support and assist in finding a solution, it's important to actively listen and understand the problem at hand. Ask questions to gather more information and work together to brainstorm potential solutions. Offer guidance and resources, but ultimately allow the individual to make their own decisions and learn from the experience.