Solving Trigonometry Equations: Confused about Cos4x?

• Thread starter jtart2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation cos4x = 1+8cos^4-8cos^2 using the double angle identity and the question of whether cos4x is equal to cos(2x+2x). There is a discussion about different ways to write the equation and finding the correct answer. The solution is to use the known trigonometric formula to simplify the expression down to one involving only cos. There is also a reference to a section in the PF library that could be helpful in understanding the identities needed for solving these types of equations.
jtart2
I'm verify some trigonometry equations and am confused about a couple of things. (This is self-study, I'm not in school)

The equation cos4x = 1+8cos^4-8cos^2 can be solved by re-writing as 2(cos2x)^2 -1 and factoring out which yields the correct answer, however based on what I've seen in other double angle identity equations one can re-write cos4x as cos(2x + 2x).

I believe this can be written as [(2cos^2 - 1)(2cos^2-1)] + [(2cos^2-1)(2cos^2-1)], however the answer then comes out to 8cos^4-8cos^2+2. So it's off by "+1".

What about my thinking is flawed? They can't both be correct!

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(a+b)=cosacosb-sinasinb ,what are you doing with second one in cos(2x+2x)

I'm obviously not writing the formula out correctly since the answer is not the same. I was just solving how I'v written it out [(2cos^2 - 1)(2cos^2-1)] + [(2cos^2-1)(2cos^2-1)]

Is there another way to write out cos(4x) as cos(2x+2x) instead of cos 2[(cos2x)^2-1] and have the answer come out to be 1+ 8cos^2x - 8cos^2x?

How do you add cos(2x + 2x)? or does cos4x not equal cos(2x+2x)?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
This section of PF library would be of help to you. It lists all the identities you need.

jtart2 said:
I'm obviously not writing the formula out correctly since the answer is not the same. I was just solving how I'v written it out [(2cos^2 - 1)(2cos^2-1)] + [(2cos^2-1)(2cos^2-1)]

Is there another way to write out cos(4x) as cos(2x+2x) instead of cos 2[(cos2x)^2-1] and have the answer come out to be 1+ 8cos^2x - 8cos^2x?

Thanks,
Joe
cos(2x + 2x) ≠ cos(2x) + cos(2x)

You appear to be assuming that they are equal !

Yes, and to expand do what user andrien suggested.
[tex] cos(2x + 2x) = cos2xcos2x -sin2xsin2x = cos^2 2x - sin^2 2x[/tex] and use known trigonometric formula to simplify the expression down to one involving only [itex] cos, [/itex] as required.

jtart2 said:
Is there another way to write out cos(4x) as cos(2x+2x) instead of cos 2[(cos2x)^2-1]

[tex]\cos(4x)\neq \cos\left(2(\cos^2(2x)-1)\right)[/tex]

Because you already know that [itex]\cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1[/itex] hence [itex]2\cos^2(2x)-1=\cos(4x)[/itex] (do you see how that works?) and so finally, if we plug this expression into
[tex]\cos\left(2(\cos^2(2x)-1)\right)[/tex]
we will have that equivalent to
[tex]\cos\left(2\cos^2(2x)-2)\right)[/tex][tex]=\cos\left(2\cos^2(2x)-1+1)\right)[/tex][tex]=\cos\left(\cos(4x)+1)\right)[/tex]

1. What is the process for solving trigonometry equations?

To solve a trigonometry equation, you must first isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions or trigonometric identities to solve for the variable.

2. How do I know which inverse trigonometric function to use?

The inverse trigonometric function you use depends on the trigonometric function in the equation. For example, if the equation contains sine (sin), you would use the inverse sine function (arcsin). If it contains cosine (cos), you would use the inverse cosine function (arccos).

3. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometry equations?

Yes, most scientific calculators have functions for inverse trigonometric functions (arcsin, arccos, arctan). However, it is important to understand the steps of solving trigonometry equations by hand before relying on a calculator.

4. How do I handle multiple trigonometric functions in one equation?

If there are multiple trigonometric functions in an equation, you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation. These identities include double angle, half angle, and sum and difference identities.

5. What should I do if I am confused about the use of cosine (cos) in the equation?

If you are confused about the use of cosine in the equation, you can try rewriting it in terms of sine (sin). This can help make the equation easier to understand and solve. You can also refer to your textbook or class notes for examples and explanations of using cosine in trigonometry equations.