1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these equal?

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    I'm verify some trigonometry equations and am confused about a couple of things. (This is self-study, I'm not in school)

The equation cos4x = 1+8cos^4-8cos^2 can be solved by re-writing as 2(cos2x)^2 -1 and factoring out which yields the correct answer, however based on what i've seen in other double angle identity equations one can re-write cos4x as cos(2x + 2x).

I believe this can be written as [(2cos^2 - 1)(2cos^2-1)] + [(2cos^2-1)(2cos^2-1)], however the answer then comes out to 8cos^4-8cos^2+2. So it's off by "+1".

What about my thinking is flawed? They can't both be correct!

Thanks for your help.

Joe

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2
    cos(a+b)=cosacosb-sinasinb ,what are you doing with second one in cos(2x+2x)

4. Aug 18, 2012 #3
    I'm obviously not writing the formula out correctly since the answer is not the same. I was just solving how I'v written it out [(2cos^2 - 1)(2cos^2-1)] + [(2cos^2-1)(2cos^2-1)]

Is there another way to write out cos(4x) as cos(2x+2x) instead of cos 2[(cos2x)^2-1] and have the answer come out to be 1+ 8cos^2x - 8cos^2x?

How do you add cos(2x + 2x)? or does cos4x not equal cos(2x+2x)?

Thanks,
    Joe

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. Aug 18, 2012 #4
    This section of PF library would be of help to you. It lists all the identities you need.

6. Aug 18, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

cos(2x + 2x) ≠ cos(2x) + cos(2x)

You appear to be assuming that they are equal !

7. Aug 18, 2012 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, and to expand do what user andrien suggested.
    [tex] cos(2x + 2x) = cos2xcos2x -sin2xsin2x = cos^2 2x - sin^2 2x[/tex] and use known trigonometric formula to simplify the expression down to one involving only [itex] cos, [/itex] as required.

8. Aug 18, 2012 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

[tex]\cos(4x)\neq \cos\left(2(\cos^2(2x)-1)\right)[/tex]

Because you already know that [itex]\cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1[/itex] hence [itex]2\cos^2(2x)-1=\cos(4x)[/itex] (do you see how that works?) and so finally, if we plug this expression into
    [tex]\cos\left(2(\cos^2(2x)-1)\right)[/tex]
    we will have that equivalent to
    [tex]\cos\left(2\cos^2(2x)-2)\right)[/tex][tex]=\cos\left(2\cos^2(2x)-1+1)\right)[/tex][tex]=\cos\left(\cos(4x)+1)\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook