1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these functions analytic?

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that f0 = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) is analytic in domain D, are these functions analytic in domain D?
    1. f1 = (u^2 - v^2) - 2i*u*v
    2. f2 = (e^u)cos(v) + i*(e^u)sin(v)
    3. f3 = u - i*v

2. Relevant equations
    cauchy-riemann equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I kind of have an idea but I want to double check if my reasoning is right.

If f0 is analytic then all of the partial derivatives of u(x,y) and v(x,y) wrt x and y exist and are continuous on domain D.

1. f1 = f0^2. The product of differentiable and continuous function is also differentiable and continuous on domain D. Therefore f1 is analytic on domain D.

2. f2 = e^u * 0.5*(e^-v + e^v) + i * e^u * 0.5(e^-v - e^v)
    Unsure. I can't explicity use Cauchy-Riemann to check. But I know that v and u are continuous. If a function g(x) is continuous and differentiable on some domain or set, is h(x) = e^g(x) also? If so, then f2 is analytic.

3. f3 = conjugate(f0). Not differentiable because conjugate(z) is not differentiable everywhere. Therefore not analytic.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with all of those. h(x)=e^g(x) is analytic if g(x) is analytic. It's a composition of analytic functions. If f(z) is analytic and g(z) is analytic then f(g(z)) is analytic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook