Are the 10 ohm and 20 ohm resistors in this circuit truly parallel?

In summary, the problem in the physics book involves finding the current in the interconnecting wire between two wires with two resistors. The book suggests using equivalent resistance to solve the problem, stating that the top 10 ohm and 20 ohm resistors are parallel, as well as the bottom two resistors. This may seem confusing due to other paths between the start and end nodes of the resistors, but the symmetry of the arrangement means that the resistors are essentially parallel. The horizontal lines connecting the resistors do not actually exist, they are just a way of drawing the schematic. As long as both pairs of resistors share a common "in" and "output," they are considered to be in parallel.
breez
So there is a circuit in my physics book which looks like

[img=http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4127/circuitcz2.th.gif]

The problem asks for the current in the interconnecting wire between the 2 wires with the 2 resistors.

I solved this using loop rules, but the book shows a shortcut by using equivalent resistance. The book states the top 10 ohm and 20 ohm resistors are parallel and the bottom two are in parallel as well. However, I am confused as how this is possible. There are other paths between the start and end node points of the 10 and 20 ohm resistors. How can they be in parallel?

I was thinking this was a special case maybe, because normally they shouldn't be parallel, but the symmetry of the arrangement means the voltage at end points of the resistor pairs are the same, hence making them essentially parallel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they are parallel.
I suspect that it is the horizontal line that is bothering you, but the lines connecting the resistors do not "exist", is it just a way of drawing the schematic and they merely indicate how the components are connected together. Both pairs of resistors share a common "in"- and "output" which means that they are connected in parallel.

but it looks that they don't share a common out? The top 10 ohm resistor has a split in its path.

If one is connected between some point A and some point B, and the other is also connected between point A and point B, then they are in parallel, regardless of anything else. The same voltage is across them at all times.

You have ((the top 10 ohms in parallel with the top 20 ohms) in series with (the bottom 20 ohms in parallel with the bottom 10 ohms)).

1. What does it mean for resistors to be parallel?

Resistors are considered to be parallel when they are connected side by side across the same voltage source. This means that the positive and negative ends of each resistor are connected to the same points in a circuit.

2. How do I know if my resistors are connected in parallel?

You can determine if your resistors are connected in parallel by checking if they share the same voltage source and have a common connection point at both ends. Additionally, the voltage drop across each resistor will be the same.

3. What is the benefit of connecting resistors in parallel?

Connecting resistors in parallel allows for a decrease in overall resistance in the circuit. This can be beneficial for increasing the flow of current and reducing the amount of heat generated in the circuit.

4. Can I mix resistors of different values in a parallel configuration?

Yes, you can mix resistors of different values in a parallel configuration. However, it is important to note that the total resistance will not be the sum of the individual resistances. Instead, it will be lower than the smallest resistor value.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors connected in parallel?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors connected in parallel, you can use the formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut method of finding the reciprocal of each resistor value and adding them together, then taking the reciprocal of the sum.