Is the Force to Peel Off Tape the Same as the Force to Drag the Surface?

• Thread starter jangheej
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between pulling adhesive tape off a surface directly upwards versus dragging the surface horizontally to peel the tape off. The forces involved in these two scenarios are not the same, as the direction of the force is relevant. Previous threads on the topic have also been referenced.
jangheej
Hi =)
I have a question about tape peeling.
An adhesive tape is sticked onto a surface.
1) You pull the tape off the surface
2) You drag the surface so that the tape is peeled off.
(see the attachment)

Will these two forces be the same?
so... if I want to measure the force necessary to remove a piece of adhesive tape,
then can I just measure the force necessary to pull the surface?

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
No. They would be if you were pulling in exactly the opposite direction, however.

Take this to the limit. Imagine pulling directly upwards on the tape and compare this with pulling the surface horizontally. The two situations would clearly be different. The direction is clearly very relevant.

Last edited:

Hello! I can say that the two forces in this scenario are not necessarily the same. Pulling the tape off the surface and dragging the surface to peel the tape off involve different types of forces. When pulling the tape off, the force is mainly applied in a perpendicular direction to the surface, while dragging the surface to peel the tape off involves a combination of perpendicular and parallel forces. Additionally, the force required to remove the tape may also depend on the strength of the adhesive and the properties of the surface. Therefore, measuring the force necessary to pull the surface may not accurately reflect the force required to remove the tape. It would be best to directly measure the force required to remove the tape in order to get an accurate measurement.

1. Are forces and energy the same thing?

No, forces and energy are not the same thing. Forces are a push or pull on an object, while energy is the ability to do work or cause change. They are related, as forces can change an object's energy, but they are still separate concepts.

2. Can forces and acceleration be equivalent?

No, forces and acceleration are not equivalent. Forces can cause acceleration, but they are not the same thing. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes, while forces are the cause of that change in velocity.

3. How can I tell if two forces are equal?

If two forces are equal, they will have the same magnitude (strength) and direction. This means that they will have the same amount of push or pull on an object and will be acting in the same direction.

4. Is the force of gravity the same as the force of weight?

No, the force of gravity and the force of weight are not the same. The force of gravity is the pull that all objects with mass have on each other, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object caused by its mass and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can two forces acting in opposite directions be the same?

No, two forces acting in opposite directions cannot be the same. If they were the same, they would cancel each other out and there would be no net force on the object. However, if they are equal in magnitude, they can create a state of equilibrium where the object is not moving.