Time Dilation in Gravitational Fields: Are Equivalent Formulas?

In summary, the two formulas mentioned in the conversation are not equivalent. They apply in different circumstances and represent different time dilation effects. One formula represents the symmetric time dilation effect between observers in relative motion in flat spacetime, while the other represents the asymmetric time dilation between hovering observers in curved spacetime. The third formula mentioned is the time dilation effect in a uniformly accelerated rocket.
Emmacastellano80
TL;DR Summary
I was trying to understand the topic of time dilation in a gravitational field, and I found these two formulas:
http://it.tinypic.com/r/1124ha0/9

http://it.tinypic.com/r/1z22l53/9

G = constant grav.
m = mass of the planet or star under consideration
g = 9.81m / s ^ 2
H = height at which the second clock is located with respect to the first which is on the ground.

My question is :
are these two formulas equivalent?
I was trying to understand the topic of time dilation in a gravitational field, and I found these two formulas:

G = constant grav.
m = mass of the planet or star under consideration
g = 9.81m / s ^ 2
H = height at which the second clock is located with respect to the first which is on the ground.

My question is :
are these two formulas equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. They apply in completely different circumstances. One gives the symmetric time dilation effect between observers in relative motion in flat spacetime, the other the asymmetric time dilation between hovering observers in curved spacetime.

Edit: to save people clicking on the image with annoying ads, the two equations are the Lorentz gamma factor, ##1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##, and the gravitational time dilation factor between an observer at rest at infinity and another hovering at ##r## in Schwarzschild spacetime, ##1/\sqrt{1-2GM/c^2r}##.

Last edited:
Oh, and the third formula is the time dilation effect in a uniformly accelerated rocket. So it's possible I'm misinterpreting which two formulae are being talked about.

Which two formulae are you asking about? It would be easier if you used LaTeX to type out the maths. There are instructions in a link just below the reply box.

1. What is time dilation in gravitational fields?

Time dilation in gravitational fields is a phenomenon where time appears to pass slower in regions with stronger gravitational fields. This is due to the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, such as planets or stars. The closer an object is to a massive body, the stronger the gravitational field and the slower time appears to pass for that object.

2. How is time dilation in gravitational fields measured?

Time dilation in gravitational fields is measured using the formula t'=t√(1-2GM/rc^2), where t' is the time measured in a strong gravitational field, t is the time measured in a weak gravitational field, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object creating the gravitational field, r is the distance from the center of the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula is known as the Schwarzschild metric.

3. What is the difference between time dilation in gravitational fields and special relativity?

Time dilation in gravitational fields is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, while special relativity is a theory that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. Time dilation in gravitational fields is a generalization of special relativity, taking into account the effects of gravity.

4. Are there any real-life examples of time dilation in gravitational fields?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of time dilation in gravitational fields. One of the most well-known examples is the time dilation experienced by astronauts in space. Due to the weaker gravitational field in space, time appears to pass slower for astronauts compared to people on Earth. Another example is the time dilation experienced by objects in orbit around a massive body, such as satellites orbiting Earth.

5. How does time dilation in gravitational fields affect our daily lives?

In our daily lives, time dilation in gravitational fields is not noticeable as the effects are extremely small. However, it is a crucial factor to consider in technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise time measurements. The satellites in the GPS system experience time dilation due to their high speeds and the Earth's gravitational field, and without taking this into account, the GPS system would not function accurately.