Is it possible to experience time loops?

• B
  • Thread starter TheQuestionGuy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loops Time
In summary, a time loop is a hypothetical concept where time repeats itself in a continuous cycle. According to current scientific knowledge, time loops are considered impossible, although some theories in quantum mechanics and general relativity suggest their possibility. Time travel is also considered impossible in reality, so it cannot cause a time loop. There are no known examples of time loops in real life, and the concept remains theoretical. Some theories suggest that time loops could create parallel universes, but this is not proven.
TheQuestionGuy14
I haven't been on here in a while and have forgotten a lot of my physics knowledge, which is annoying.

I just want to know, are time loops possible? Like the ones that appear in movies where a character relives a period of time. Is this allowed by the laws of physics? I know it's not really a physics question but this stuff is important to me, if someone with knowledge of physics is able to explain it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do a google search for closed timelike curves.

Note that the worldline of a person is a timelike curve, so if it were close it's hard for me to make sense of the concept of time.

No.

Mathematically, we can describe "loops" in spacetime where you can pass the same event twice, but that doesn't operate like Groundhog Day. Every other time you went round the loop would be present every time. And all the potential for paradox that implies lead Novikov to propose his consistency principle, which boils down to "you can't change anything".

Furthermore, although we can describe such structures mathematically, the conditions necessary for them to actually exist are impossible as far as we know (negative energy densities and the like).

Ibix said:
No.

Mathematically, we can describe "loops" in spacetime where you can pass the same event twice, but that doesn't operate like Groundhog Day. Every other time you went round the loop would be present every time. And all the potential for paradox that implies lead Novikov to propose his consistency principle, which boils down to "you can't change anything".

Furthermore, although we can describe such structures mathematically, the conditions necessary for them to actually exist are impossible as far as we know (negative energy densities and the like).

Interesting. So, what's really happening in the movie Groundhog Day? Is it anything of physics or just magic?

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Interesting. So, what's really happening in the movie Groundhog Day? Is it anything of physics or just magic?
Fun movie, zero physics content.

Likes Mikemorgan12, davenn and Ibix
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Magic. I have trouble imagining a physical model that could measure Bill Murray's character development and stop the loop when he had done enough to get the girl.

Likes Mikemorgan12
Nugatory said:
Fun movie, zero physics content.

Ok, I understand, but I know this sounds crazy, but my friend keeps insisting he lived a day multiple times like the movie Groundhog Day. Why would he say that?

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Why would he say that?
Drunk, stoned, delusional, pulling your leg?

Remember Occam's Razor.

Your question was answered in post #3 above.

The thread is closed.

Likes Ibix

1. What is a time loop?

A time loop is a hypothetical concept in which time repeats itself in a continuous cycle, often resulting in the same events occurring repeatedly.

2. Are time loops possible according to current scientific knowledge?

According to current scientific understanding, time loops are considered impossible. The concept of time is linear and events occur only once, in a forward direction. However, some theories in quantum mechanics and general relativity suggest the possibility of time loops, but they are not yet proven.

3. Can time travel cause a time loop?

The idea of time travel causing a time loop is a popular concept in science fiction. However, in reality, time travel is also considered impossible according to current scientific knowledge. Therefore, it is not possible for time travel to cause a time loop.

4. Are there any examples of time loops in real life?

There are no known examples of time loops in real life. The concept remains purely theoretical and has not been observed or proven to exist.

5. How do time loops relate to the concept of parallel universes?

Some theories suggest that if time loops were possible, they could create parallel universes in which different versions of events occur in each cycle. However, this is purely speculative and has not been proven.