Are Tensions Represented as Unit Vectors in Physics Problems?

In summary, the problem involves determining the tensions in the strings BD and DC, which are connected by a pulley at point D. The tensions must be resolved into their i j k components to accurately represent the direction of the force. The tension in the two parts of the cable is the same due to its continuity.
suspenc3

Homework Statement

See Attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im just trying to figure out all of the forces, I am kinda confused about the whole [tex]T_{BDC}[/tex] Do i just make these two separate tensions...and then add them together or something? Can someone explain how I should go about doing this? Also concerning the tensions, should I just make them into unit vectors...in i, j, and k components?

Im kinda new to these problems, any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Attachments

• 8989998989.JPG
    8989998989.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,037
Physics news on Phys.org
The cable BDC is continuous and there is a pulley at D. So the tension in the two parts BD and DC is the same.

Yes, you will need to resolve the tensions in the strings into their i j k components. That's how you represent the fact that the force must act along the length of the string, not in a different direction.

for your question. Units are not tension vectors. Tension is a force, and as such, it has units of force, such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lb). Tension is a force that is exerted by a stretched or compressed object, such as a rope or spring. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. In the attached problem, T_{BDC} represents the tension force in the rope connecting points B and D, and T_{AEB} represents the tension force in the rope connecting points A and E. To solve this problem, you will need to use vector addition to find the resultant force of the two tension forces. This can be done by breaking the forces into their x, y, and z components and then adding them together. It is not necessary to convert the tension forces into unit vectors. I recommend reviewing vector addition and force analysis in order to better understand how to solve this problem.

1. What are tension vectors?

Tension vectors are forces that are applied to an object in opposite directions, causing it to stretch or elongate. They are typically represented by arrows and their magnitude and direction can be calculated using vector mathematics.

2. How are tension vectors different from other types of forces?

Tension vectors are unique because they only act in the direction of the object they are applied to, whereas other forces such as gravity or friction can act in multiple directions. Additionally, tension vectors are always present in an object that is being stretched or pulled, while other forces may only be present in certain situations.

3. Are units tension vectors?

No, units are not tension vectors. Units are simply a way to measure the magnitude of a force, including tension vectors. They can be represented in various units such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

4. How are tension vectors used in science?

Tension vectors are used in many scientific fields, such as engineering and physics, to analyze and understand the behavior of objects under tension. They are also used in various real-world applications, such as designing bridges and determining the strength of materials.

5. Can tension vectors be negative?

Yes, tension vectors can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction, causing the object to compress rather than stretch. Negative tension vectors can also be referred to as compression vectors.