Exploring Signs of Intelligence: Earth to the Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for encountering other intelligent life-forms in the universe and how signs of intelligence can be observed on Earth. Examples such as chimpanzees using American Sign Language, elephants creating paintings, and animals exhibiting creative problem-solving behavior are mentioned. The importance of knowledge and its impact on human advancement is also highlighted.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary - (Mar 1, 2005) The chances are very high that you will encounter another intelligent life-form in the course of your life and when you do it may come as a big surprise. When, for instance, did you last visit the zoo? Remember those chimpanzees - very smart. And how about those dolphins at the marine aquarium? Brilliant! And that cat of yours is probably smarter than you think - but your dog will never admit it. Finally that grey parrot your Uncle Ned has may actually know what its talking about! Ultimately by paying attention to signs of intelligence on Earth, we may also come to recognize signs of intelligence amongst the stars.

Full Story -
Image Credit: "Seeking" ©1998 Lynette Cook. Used with Permission.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
- German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860) [continued]
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/are_we_alone.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen paintings done by zoo elephants. They would fall into the "abstract" category if they had been executed by a human. But more interesting to me was something I saw on a display TV a week or two ago. I only caught a small fragment of the program, but there was a pair of elephants being handed paintbrushes. The long canvas in front of where they were standing (each elephant with a human astride it) was a very realistic scene of trees against a blue sky.

Given the small bit of it that I saw, I am not sure if it was some sort of spoof, or if it was on the level. Did the elephants do the whole thing themselves? If so, it was an impressive feat.

There is no doubt many mammal exhibit intelligent behavior. Creative problem solving behavior cannot be classified in any other way. The rap on animal intelligence is they don't accumulate knowledge. How advanced would humans be without books? Human knowledge and intelligence grew at an evolutionary pace until written language appeared on the scene. In the span of a handful of thousands of years since then, we have advanced beyond the wildest imaginings of our ancestors - even of those just generations removed. Knowledge is the most powerful force in the universe.

Chronos said:
There is no doubt many mammal exhibit intelligent behavior. Creative problem solving behavior cannot be classified in any other way. The rap on animal intelligence is they don't accumulate knowledge. How advanced would humans be without books? Human knowledge and intelligence grew at an evolutionary pace until written language appeared on the scene. In the span of a handful of thousands of years since then, we have advanced beyond the wildest imaginings of our ancestors - even of those just generations removed. Knowledge is the most powerful force in the universe.
Well, I'd rather say that it is the constructive power structures connected to agrarianism which has propelled humanity onwards, but books are certainly important as well.

Chronos said:
There is no doubt many mammal exhibit intelligent behavior. Creative problem solving behavior cannot be classified in any other way. The rap on animal intelligence is they don't accumulate knowledge.

I wonder why this is so. I heard a speech a while back about the chimpanzees who know American Sign Langauge at the http://www.cwu.edu/~cwuchci/ , quite amazing to say the least. The most interesting thing was after the human researchers taught the chimpanzees ASL, the lead chimpanzee (Washo I believe was the name) taught the other chimpanzees sign language as well (going to the length of contouring their fingers after identifying the object being communicated). The sad thing is that they have expressed desires to be free from captivity, which in itself brings up some moral dilemmas.

Intelligent behavior is not just limited to human beings, heck, even my dog can understand basic phrases and has the capacity to learn.

Chronos said:
Knowledge is the most powerful force in the universe.

Agreed. It is what motivates me to continue on my path to science.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring Signs of Intelligence: Earth to the Universe"?

The purpose of "Exploring Signs of Intelligence: Earth to the Universe" is to study and understand the various forms of intelligence that exist in our universe, both on Earth and beyond. This includes exploring the development of intelligence, its characteristics, and its potential implications for life.

2. What methods are used in this exploration of intelligence?

The exploration of intelligence involves a combination of scientific research, observation, and analysis. This includes studying various life forms and their behaviors, using technological advancements to search for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence, and analyzing data and patterns to better understand the concept of intelligence.

3. What have scientists discovered so far about intelligence in the universe?

Scientists have discovered that intelligence is not limited to humans, and can be found in various forms and levels in other species on Earth. They have also observed potential signs of intelligence in other parts of the universe, such as complex communication systems and the ability to solve problems, though further research is needed to confirm these findings.

4. How does exploring signs of intelligence benefit humanity?

Exploring signs of intelligence helps us to better understand our own intelligence and its potential for growth and development. It also expands our knowledge of the universe and the possibilities for life beyond Earth, which can have significant impacts on our understanding of our place in the universe.

5. What are the potential implications of finding signs of extraterrestrial intelligence?

The discovery of extraterrestrial intelligence could have major implications for our society and our understanding of the universe. It could lead to new technologies and advancements, challenge our beliefs and perspectives, and potentially open up opportunities for communication and collaboration with other intelligent beings.

Back