Are we designed to inquire?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, Nikola Tesla's theory of teleautomatics suggests that our minds operate on a system of cause and effect sequences. However, it is still unclear whether these sequences give rise to our sense of inquiry. Many questions asked in science and mathematics may seem irrelevant to everyday life, but they are important to understanding our environment and mastering it. Some argue that our curiosity and desire for knowledge are natural safety devices, while others believe they are unnecessary necessities. Ultimately, the purpose of the human consciousness is still a topic of debate.
Imparcticle
Nikola Tesla concluded in his theory of teleautomatics that our minds are based on a system of cause and effect sequences. How do we know that these cause and effect sequences do or do not give rise to our sense of inquiry? Why do we wonder? Why is it important to ask what the simplest manifold is? Some of the questions asked in science or mathematics seem to have no relavance in everyday life, I have to admit. That is not to say I abhor such persuits, I am merely wondering why we should be curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imparcticle said:
Nikola Tesla concluded in his theory of teleautomatics that our minds are based on a system of cause and effect sequences. How do we know that these cause and effect sequences do or do not give rise to our sense of inquiry? Why do we wonder? Why is it important to ask what the simplest manifold is? Some of the questions asked in science or mathematics seem to have no relavance in everyday life, I have to admit. That is not to say I abhor such persuits, I am merely wondering why we should be curious.

By saying that we are "designed" by something or someone, you'd be implying some sort of intelligence behind our inception, but such inferance would make your question defunct as you'd be trying to guess the motives of a being that we could not comprehend or that science can not analyse or that simply does not exist.

Also, I respect Tesla's work in the field of electricity, but I would question his statements as to the workings of the human brain as that was certainly not his field of study. Quotes are nice, but they are hardly noteworthy in serious inquiry unless backed by fact.

And as for a direct responce to your question: Evolution theory dictates a strong urge of inquiry and curiosity as to gain a more complete understanding of one's environment and thus lead to a more complete understanding of mastering one's environment. This trait is not limited to humans, just watch a kitten(or any cat really) explore a new surrounding for the first time and tell me they are not curios.

Last edited:
Imparcticle said:

Because we are ignorant we may learn, but only if we allow ourselves to ask questions. Questions implicitly connote the possibility that answers exist, not that everything can be answered. When we have no questions, when we have no preconceptions or expectations, then we know the answer or accept our ignorance.

Genuine questions make no demands or statements, thus they are accepting and such acceptance is an emotive affect rather than merely a stream of logic. My computer can spout endless nonsense, but it cannot ask a sincere question. The lights are on, but nobody is home.

Imparcticle said:

We are not only designed to inquire but aslo to acquire and avoid. This in my opinion is the fundamental purpose of the human consciousness. That is, we naturally inquire and acquire to avoid! These three fundamental aspects of the human conscious are nothing but natural safety devices and they are crucial to our own form of life, or should I say the human form of life.

The only thing that is puzzling about this configuration or composition is that two aspetcs of it (Inquire and avoid) are 'uncecssarily necessary'. That is, the Inquisitive and the Precautionary modes of consciousness serve only ephemeral sustaining purposes in their overall outward values. I habitually call them 'uncessary necessities' for this very reason. For why may you inquire or avoid if you knew all there is to be known to survivv from ouset? It seems therefore that the acquisitive mode of consciousness has always been necessary and my bet is on it as the most likely aspect of the human consciousness to survive destruction in the end. I also habitually call this 'necessary necessity' the obvious reason. This may not be to anyone's taste...but that's what I think.

Last edited:
We are not only designed to inquire but aslo to acquire and avoid. This in my opinion is the fundamental purpose of the human consciousness. That is, we naturally inquire and acquire to avoid! These three fundamental aspects of the human conscious are nothing but natural safety devices and they are crucial to our own form of life, or should I say the human form of life.
Ah, philocrat! "Natural" is the key word here. The naturally occurring aspects of consciousness are the very ones that can be attributed to subconscious aspects, right? Subconscious motives drive us to do many things such as be suspicious or something more simple: eat.

The only thing that is puzzling about this configuration or composition is that two aspetcs of it (Inquire and avoid) are 'uncecssarily necessary'. That is, the Inquisitive and the Precautionary modes of consciousness serve only ephemeral sustaining purposes in their overall outward values. I habitually call them 'uncessary necessities' for this very reason. For why may you inquire or avoid if you knew all there is to be known to survivv from ouset? It seems therefore that the acquisitive mode of consciousness has always been necessary and my bet is on it as the most likely aspect of the human consciousness to survive destruction in the end. I also habitually call this 'necessary necessity' the obvious reason. This may not be to anyone's taste...but that's what I think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And your line of thought is essentially the same one that drove me to start this thread.
I totally agree with you.

Deviant:
I apologize for my misuse of the word "design". Read Philocrat's post and you will understand my meaning.

Obviously, we are designed to inquire, otherwise we'd know everything we want to know already. The question is is... why? =)

Obviously, we are designed to inquire, otherwise we'd know everything we want to know already. The question is is... why? =)

Ah, good point. But how do we know that if we were not designed to inquire, then we would know everything?
What if we just knew everything we needed to know and thus had no reason for inquiry?

1. What is the purpose of inquiry?

The purpose of inquiry is to gather information, seek understanding, and satisfy our curiosity about the world around us. It allows us to explore, discover, and make sense of the complex and ever-changing nature of our surroundings.

2. Are humans naturally inclined to inquire?

Yes, humans are naturally inclined to inquire. It is a fundamental aspect of our cognitive abilities and is essential for survival. From a young age, we are curious and constantly seek answers to our questions, which drives us to inquire about the world.

3. How does inquiry contribute to scientific progress?

Inquiry is at the core of the scientific process. It enables scientists to ask questions, formulate hypotheses, and design experiments to test their theories. Through this process, new knowledge is gained, and existing theories are refined or replaced, leading to advancements in science and technology.

4. Can inquiry be taught or learned?

Yes, inquiry can be taught and learned. While humans have a natural inclination to inquire, the skills and methods of inquiry can be developed and honed through education and practice. Effective inquiry-based learning approaches can enhance critical thinking, problem-solving, and information gathering skills.

5. Does inquiry have any limitations?

Yes, inquiry has limitations, as it relies on human perception, interpretation, and bias. It is essential to critically evaluate the reliability and validity of the information obtained through inquiry. Additionally, some questions may be difficult or impossible to answer through inquiry due to ethical or practical constraints.