Are we past due to declare EM/Light/Waves its own dimension?

• B
  • Thread starter pittsburgh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, Bill is asking if waves only exist as math, observation pulls them out of out of that dimension and gives them real world 3D structure (wave collapse). He says this might be a unifying theory for the large and small. He provides links to mainstream science articles which discuss waves. He asks if it is easy to find links to post, and advises that if someone wants to talk about their personal theory, they should do so in a different thread.
pittsburgh
TL;DR Summary
Unifying theory for the large and small
If we set a dimension for the unobservable, we may stumble on a unifying theory for the large and small.
3D + Time + Waves
When I say Waves, I'm talking about the waves a particle becomes when it is unobserved and going through the double slit.
If waves only exist as math, observation pulls them out of out of that dimension and gives them real world 3D structure (wave collapse). When light is pulled out, it becomes photons.

Physics news on Phys.org
pittsburgh said:
Summary: Unifying theory for the large and small

If we set a dimension for the unobservable, we may stumble on a unifying theory for the large and small.
3D + Time + Waves
When I say Waves, I'm talking about the waves a particle becomes when it is unobserved and going through the double slit.
If waves only exist as math, observation pulls them out of out of that dimension and gives them real world 3D structure (wave collapse). When light is pulled out, it becomes photons.
We discuss mainstream science here at the PF, not personal theories. Can you post a couple links to reputable scientific articles that you've been reading that have led you to ask these questions? Thanks.

Everything I said is derived from mainstream science. I'm pointing out the obvious.

pittsburgh said:
Everything I said is derived from mainstream science. I'm pointing out the obvious.
Then it should be easy for you to find some links to post. That will help us to respond to you. Thanks.

I'm afraid it isn't that easy. Spacetime is what we live in, what we observe, experience or measure. Everything we know takes place in this environment. Waves are an observation within this spacetime. Your suggestion is a bit as if we should model a car ride by location, time and velocity. We can do this, but they are no longer a basis, which means we lose uniqueness: there will be arbitrary combinations of (location, time, velocity) all belonging to the same configuration 'car'. This way we will have lost, not gained a perspective.

Waves are a mathematical model within this spacetime. A model which sometimes fits well to our understanding of waves on water, and sometimes less. In any case they do not represent an extra dimension, only something which takes place in the other four dimensions.

There might be additional dimensions or not. But they can't be described in a meaningful way by something which already is described by space and time.

Likes Klystron and bhobba
If we have a tiny 3d object and allow it to go into superposition. Not being able to see that object says the object is either losing a dimension itself or is going into another dimension. Do you want a unifying theory or not?

pittsburgh said:

You are not. Its rot. You speak of superposition for instance - all objects are in superposition all the time and in an infinite number of ways. A word of warning from a mentor - please get facts straight before posting. Its
in our rules - please stick to them.

Thanks
Bill

I mentioned the double slit, this the type of superposition I am talking about.

pittsburgh said:
I mentioned the double slit, this the type of superposition I am talking about.

There is only one type of superposition - that the states form a vector space for pure states. Even the computer you re writing this on is in superposition - admittedly a superposition of states very close to each other. Everything is quantum all the time.

Thanks
Bill

• Informative
Likes Klystron
When something can only be described as a wave/math then.

pittsburgh said:
If we have a tiny 3d object and allow it to go into superposition. Not being able to see that object says the object is either losing a dimension itself or is going into another dimension.
This is nonsense. Even if I substitute the undefined word 'see' by 'measurable' means, that it isn't there at all, or that my equipement isn't accurate enough. Going into another dimension might not be ruled out at the beginning, but if we do not find any evidence for this, and we haven't, then it is only a fantasy and has nothing to do with science. We know of nothing which disappears and reappears again. If so, dimensions would be a good way to investigate the phenomenon. But, there is no such phenomenon so far.
Do you want a unifying theory or not?
Sure, however, no fairy tales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bhobba
This thread is operating on too thin ice by its undefined terms, inaccurate language and hidden assertions.

Thread closed.

Likes strangerep, berkeman and bhobba

1. What is the current understanding of dimensions in physics?

In physics, dimensions are used to describe the physical properties of space and time. The most commonly accepted model is the four-dimensional spacetime, which includes three dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

2. What is the concept of declaring EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension?

The concept of declaring EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension is to propose that these phenomena have unique physical properties that cannot be fully explained by the four-dimensional spacetime model. It suggests that there may be additional dimensions beyond the four we currently understand.

3. What evidence supports the idea of EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension. The four-dimensional spacetime model has been extensively tested and has successfully explained a wide range of physical phenomena.

4. What are the potential implications of declaring EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension?

If EM/Light/Waves were to be declared as its own dimension, it could potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe and open up new avenues of research. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and communication.

5. Is there ongoing research or debate surrounding the idea of EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension?

There is ongoing research and debate surrounding the idea of EM/Light/Waves as its own dimension, but it is not a widely accepted concept in the scientific community. Many physicists believe that the four-dimensional spacetime model is sufficient to explain all known physical phenomena.