Weird & Unusual Laws in the US & Around the World

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, there are many strange and unusual laws in different states and countries. For example, it is illegal to have pliers in your possession in Texas, to look at a moose from an airplane in Alaska, to raise alligators in your home in Corpus Christie, Texas, and to imitate an animal in Miami. Other odd laws include driving a car with a steering wheel in Illinois, driving while sleeping in Tennessee, and driving a car while dressed in a housecoat in California. There are also laws prohibiting certain actions, such as hitting a ball out of a ballpark in Oklahoma, chewing gum in Singapore, and leaving chewing gum in public places in Cleveland, Ohio. Many of these laws may seem strange and outdated, but they
Skomatth said:
I wouldn't trust that dumblaws.com site. For example, it says Tennessee (my homestate) has outlawed interracial marriage. But any idiot with a computer can look up the state constitution and see that that particular section has been repealed.
The site itself states that not all of the laws are verified for accuracy or currency. You can tell which ones are verified.

Physics news on Phys.org
matthyaouw said:
"You're arresting me anyway? Oh don't create such a drama!"
Where does that law apply? I'd say we have every angle covered if we ever fancy parading round there in dresses.
Yeah, advice to Californian TVs: carry some Shakespeare around with you. If they try to arrest you, read a bit of Hamlet at them and they have to let you go.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Those were hysterical, Wolram, though it would be interesting to take up Matt's challenge to research and post the evidence.
The one about the woman drivers in Memphis... the same used to be true in England, although for both men and women. When the automobile took off (in sales, not into the air), there were many accidents due to people being unused to looking our for cars - no road safety in those days. As such, a law was passed stating that a boy carrying a flag had to walk in front the car.
Now we just have congestion instead.

I am way to lazy to research all that, some laws in england have only just gone
from the books, like taxi drivers had to carry a bale of straw in the boot/trunk,
and it was legal to pee up the right side of your car or was it the left ?

kleinwolf said:
No i meant the baby breast feeding behaviour is repercuted at adult age in male by breast sucking, which is fun...but for women, they need to be lesbian...while guys don't need to suck dicks as a repercution of early years behaviour, because as they were babies, they were not sucking those if I learned animal reign normal behaviour of human well...does this make any sense to you ?
You are not comparing like to like. The lesbian sexual act comparable to fellatio is cunnilingus, which is no more suggested by mother-enfant relationships than fellatio. As such, lesbianism should not be any less shocking than male-male relationships.

kleinwolf said:
Of course you could discuss on vocabulary, and say, like light Clinton version, breast sucking between adults, is not a sexual act, so we don't call them lesbians, but give me the name then...maybe it's a very technical word..(?)
Drunks.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Kleinwolf you are officially my new favourite person here. That killed me. I'm crying.
It takes a sufferer of Haitian coconut fever to know one.

? 116-4. Activities inside vehicles prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to live, dwell, cook, sleep, change clothes or use toilet facilities inside any vehicle within the corporate limits of the Town of Fenwick Island, Delaware.
Woe to the man who browns his trousers in a car in Delaware knowing full well there's a spare pair in the back.

? 198-30. Sleeping on boardwalk.

No person shall sleep, lie or occupy as a sleeping quarter, or under the guise of pretending to sleep on the boardwalk, any bench located on the boardwalk in any pavilion located at the end of any street or on any bench located on any street.
What?!? They need a law against people pretending to sleep on benches? PRETENDING?!? They're just FINDING things to criminalise now.

zoobyshoe said:
It takes a sufferer of Haitian coconut fever to know one.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Has anyone of you tried male strings, or is it forbidden in some states ? I find it quite interesting, but it scratches quite fast...

Did you notice that there are unisexual sexual acts : like anallicking ?

kleinwolf said:
Has anyone of you tried male strings, or is it forbidden in some states ? I find it quite interesting, but it scratches quite fast...
Did you notice that there are unisexual sexual acts : like anallicking ?

:confused: and even more :confused: as for the last bit :yuck:

In Toronto it's illegal to eat ice cream on wall street on sunday afternoon.

Seriously.

Smurf said:
In Toronto it's illegal to eat ice cream on wall street on sunday afternoon.
Seriously.

Can you eat a popsicle/icelolly ?

Alaska law says that you can't look at a moose from an airplane.

NOOOOOOoooooooo :(

moose said:
NOOOOOOoooooooo :(

If the cops ask you what you saw it it was a maryboo, maliboo, or that thing that resembles a moose :confused:

Carribou (one r?)