Defining Nerd, Dork, or Geek: Criteria for Identification

In summary, a dork is someone who pushes on the door when the sign clearly says "Pull". A nerd is someone who doesn't care about what others think.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
I would like for you to suggest possible criteria for determining if someone is a nerd, dork, or geek. Those can be three different things.

Here are some thoughts I had a few days ago:

"I decide to go on Physics Forums instead of playing Halo. That proves I'm a nerd." (Halo's awesome by the way :biggrin:)
"When someone says you're a nerd, you take it as a compliment." (Which is true)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nerd is a context sensitive word. Functionally it means someone who thinks a lot, bit the thinking doesn't have to be coherent or logically sound.

So in some social contexts, it's a criticism for thinking too much when people think you should be doing/being instead.

In other social contexts is it's an appraisal of knowledge.

I'm a nerd by most definitions of the word. You should look up the definition of the word "dork" though, because it doesn't mean the same thing as the other two. :wink:

FtlIsAwesome said:
I would like for you to suggest possible criteria for determining if someone is a nerd, dork, or geek.

Talking about criteria for determination of nerd, dork or geek status makes you a nerd, a dork, and a geek. :tongue:

Oh, wait, did I just talk about criteria for nerd/dork/geek status determination?

I am a nerd and proud of it! For real though, I do get called a nerd all the time. It's awesome and funny!

caffenta said:
FtlIsAwesome said:
I would like for you to suggest possible criteria for determining if someone is a nerd, dork, or geek.
Talking about criteria for determination of nerd, dork or geek status makes you a nerd, a dork, and a geek. :tongue:

Oh, wait, did I just talk about criteria for nerd/dork/geek status determination?
Ad infinitium. :approve:
mcknia07 said:
I am a nerd and proud of it!
Yeah! :biggrin:

Well I am neither Navy nor enlisted so... ;-p

Nerd = books
Geek = computers

Both words meant something different until the people calling the guys those names realized they liked it.

The defination of what I call a nerd has changed considerable.

In high school, a nerd was someone that I wouldn't want to associate with.

As an undergraduate it was someone who I was always competing in class.

Now that I'm done with my masters and almost finished with a PhD, a nerd is someone who doesn't care about what others think. He/she is passionate about LEARNING something obscure, difficult, esoteric, and beautiful. Yes, I guess I could think of myself as a nerd because I enjoying pondering about abstract concepts such as entropy or the philosophical implications of quantum theory. Either way, I could care less what someone labels me. I'm passionate and happy on what I study and yearn to learn. Even thou it may entail physics, chemistry, or economics.

In the end, I’m happy. In many cases, happier than most. What gives me joy is that I've worked hard and I'm able to understand a small tinkling of the underlying mechanisms of the universe that goes way beyond our little obscure planet and its inhabitants.

In my family we more or less abuse nerd and geek interchangeably . It's someone who is very knowledgeable about a subject (good), and/or totally lives and breathes the thing to the exclusion of all else (bad). So my family think I am a computer geek, a great compliment I think, but alas totally unfounded. I used to be a pre Peter Davison Doctor Who nerd in both senses. My family has/had a technology geek (not me), Pokemon geek, Harry Potter geek, Star Wars geek, rock geek and Warhammer geek.

Dembadon said:
I'm a nerd by most definitions of the word. You should look up the definition of the word "dork" though, because it doesn't mean the same thing as the other two. :wink:

Is a dork someone who pushes on the door when the sign clearly says "Pull"? Or am I thinking of a "doork"?

czelaya said:
a nerd is someone who doesn't care about what others think.
Same here.

BobG said:
Is a dork someone who pushes on the door when the sign clearly says "Pull"? Or am I thinking of a "doork"?
:rofl:
This makes me think of that Burger King sign on their doors:
"PUSH. You could have things your way and pull, but this door is pretty stubborn."

1. What is the difference between a nerd, dork, and geek?

The main difference between a nerd, dork, and geek is their areas of interest and expertise. A nerd is someone who is highly intelligent and passionate about a specific topic, often in the fields of science and technology. A dork is someone who is socially awkward and may have unusual or obsessive interests. A geek is someone who is deeply passionate about a specific hobby or fandom, such as comics, gaming, or sci-fi.

2. How do you identify someone as a nerd, dork, or geek?

There is no one definitive way to identify someone as a nerd, dork, or geek. However, some common traits include having a deep knowledge and enthusiasm for a particular subject, being socially awkward or introverted, and being passionate about niche interests or hobbies.

3. Can someone be a combination of a nerd, dork, and geek?

Yes, it is possible for someone to exhibit traits of all three categories. In fact, many people may identify with elements of each label. It is important to remember that these terms are not mutually exclusive and should not be used to label or stereotype individuals.

4. Is being a nerd, dork, or geek a negative or positive label?

In recent years, the terms nerd, dork, and geek have become more positive and even embraced by some individuals. However, it is important to remember that these labels should not be used to belittle or mock others. Everyone has their own unique interests and passions, and we should celebrate diversity rather than labeling and judging others.

5. Are there any negative stereotypes associated with being a nerd, dork, or geek?

Unfortunately, there are still some negative stereotypes associated with being a nerd, dork, or geek. These can include being socially awkward, lacking fashion sense, and being unathletic. However, these stereotypes are not true for all individuals and should not be used to define or judge someone based on their interests or hobbies.