Exploring the Debate: Nerd vs Geek

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary, Daniel is a geek who doesn't fit the traditional definition of a nerd. He's intelligent and has a lot of interests, but he doesn't fit the stereotype of the socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge.
We have a pretty nerdy TV set up going here. Due to the fact that we only have one spot to get the southern shot needed, the Direct TV antenna feeds parallel outputs several hundred feet to my office. From there, one signal is re-xmitted up to the house on five of the ten, 500 foot runs of twisted pairs of CAT5 connecting my office to the house. From there, the remote control is transmitted from the house down to my office to control the DTV receiver. I also have two phone lines, and now I want to network our computers. So, since I've used up all ten pairs, I need to put in another 500 run of CAT5. :grumpy: I really thought that ten pairs would do it, but I never saw the DTV thing coming. Of course we may not be here long enough to worry about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yaaarh, me nerd pirate mateys, I be finding a new quiz for ye!

My pirate name is:
Captain Ethel Flint

Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Like the rock flint, you're hard and sharp. But, also like flint, you're easily chipped, and sparky. Arr!
Get your pirate name http://www.fidius.org/quiz/pirate/

Red James Kidd
Passion is a big part of your life, which makes sense for a pirate. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!

Well, since my name is James :biggrin:

Your pirate name is:
Captain Anne Roberts
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

YARH! i be the real cap'n of this herre ship! arrrg mateys!

Gale said:
YARH! i be the real cap'n of this herre ship! arrrg mateys!
You still be havin' Cap'n Ethel Flint to look out for, yaaarrrh!

Rig the missen mast and hoist the mains'l! We be gettin' underway!

Captain Roger Cash
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. You're musical, and you've got a certain style if not flair. You'll do just fine. Arr!

22.28797% Geek.

Definetly more of a pirate then a geek. Now surrender or die! :devil:

Last edited:
Dirty Tom Kidd
You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean -- not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!

Yarrgghh! Ye be bringin' the dead back out of Davey Jone's locker, eh! Mmmmm, smell's like 8.539722267357! Smell's like victory!

Avast me hearties! Pass a swig 'o rum to yer mate here, Miss Dirty Charity Flint. 'Tis a fittin' name for a wench if ever I did hear one!

We should form our own pirate fleet in conjunction with the PF sisterhood. Think of the leverage and power we could have!

I'am not a Nerd I'am Nred x 1010100000

Your pirate name is: Bloody Sam Bonney
Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!
Arrrrrrr!

I'm not going to read this entire thread: no time.

I'm pretty sure I'm a geek or nerd because: a) Everyone thinks I'm smart, even if I try to send the opposite message. b) I'm very adept at computers. c) Grammar errors make me flinch (I'm joking.. mostly). d) I spend a lot of time creating mental constructs.

Also, looks matter a lot to people, just so you know. Almost everyone who sees me thinks I'm a stoner, even though I actually avoid all drugs and getting drunk. Stoners are usually mellow people to hang out with, though (as long as they're not [explicit deleted] who try and use peer pressure against me).

Iron Bess Bonney

A pirate's life isn't easy; it takes a tough person. That's okay with you, though, since you're a tough person. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!

40.43393% - Major Geek
Wow, I was surprised during the test at my geekiness. Where's the pirate test?

I just tried to shoo a fly away from my monitor with the cursor. I think I'm beyond nerd tests now.

ex dx dx

ex dx

tan sec cos sin

3 . 1 4 1 5 9

It had to be said.

A friend used to recite it to me, when we wasn't reciting sqrt(2) to 200+ decimal places.

I don't think of myself as a nerd, but I asked my 15 year old daughter anyway. It turns out that I am a nerd.

jimmysnyder said:
I don't think of myself as a nerd, but I asked my 15 year old daughter anyway. It turns out that I am a nerd.
But are you a cool PIRATE nerd?

BobG said:
I just tried to shoo a fly away from my monitor with the cursor. I think I'm beyond nerd tests now.

I did that once, thinking that maybe the light difference would make it fly away :uhh:

<h2>1. What is the difference between a nerd and a geek?</h2><p>The terms "nerd" and "geek" are often used interchangeably, but there are some key differences between them. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intellectual and interested in academic pursuits, while a geek is someone who is highly passionate and knowledgeable about a particular topic or hobby, often related to technology or pop culture. However, these definitions can vary and some people may identify as both a nerd and a geek.</p><h2>2. Are there any negative connotations associated with being a nerd or a geek?</h2><p>In the past, being a nerd or a geek was often seen as a negative thing, as these individuals were stereotyped as socially awkward and uncool. However, in recent years, there has been a shift towards embracing and celebrating nerd and geek culture, and many people proudly identify as nerds or geeks.</p><h2>3. Is it possible to be both a nerd and a geek?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to be both a nerd and a geek. As mentioned before, the definitions of these terms can vary and some people may identify as both. For example, someone may be a science nerd and also a Star Wars geek.</p><h2>4. How has the portrayal of nerds and geeks in media changed over time?</h2><p>In the past, nerds and geeks were often portrayed as socially awkward and uncool characters, but in recent years, there has been a shift towards more positive and diverse representations. Many popular TV shows, movies, and books now feature intelligent, passionate, and relatable nerd and geek characters.</p><h2>5. Is there a stigma surrounding being a nerd or a geek?</h2><p>While there may still be some negative stereotypes associated with being a nerd or a geek, there is also a growing acceptance and celebration of these identities. Many people now see being a nerd or a geek as a positive thing, and there are numerous communities and events dedicated to celebrating nerd and geek culture.</p>

1. What is the difference between a nerd and a geek?

The terms "nerd" and "geek" are often used interchangeably, but there are some key differences between them. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intellectual and interested in academic pursuits, while a geek is someone who is highly passionate and knowledgeable about a particular topic or hobby, often related to technology or pop culture. However, these definitions can vary and some people may identify as both a nerd and a geek.

2. Are there any negative connotations associated with being a nerd or a geek?

In the past, being a nerd or a geek was often seen as a negative thing, as these individuals were stereotyped as socially awkward and uncool. However, in recent years, there has been a shift towards embracing and celebrating nerd and geek culture, and many people proudly identify as nerds or geeks.

3. Is it possible to be both a nerd and a geek?

Yes, it is possible to be both a nerd and a geek. As mentioned before, the definitions of these terms can vary and some people may identify as both. For example, someone may be a science nerd and also a Star Wars geek.

4. How has the portrayal of nerds and geeks in media changed over time?

In the past, nerds and geeks were often portrayed as socially awkward and uncool characters, but in recent years, there has been a shift towards more positive and diverse representations. Many popular TV shows, movies, and books now feature intelligent, passionate, and relatable nerd and geek characters.

5. Is there a stigma surrounding being a nerd or a geek?

While there may still be some negative stereotypes associated with being a nerd or a geek, there is also a growing acceptance and celebration of these identities. Many people now see being a nerd or a geek as a positive thing, and there are numerous communities and events dedicated to celebrating nerd and geek culture.