Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you a night or a day person?

1. 5-# am: As the rising sun dawns.

18.8%
  2. 3-4 am: Heck, I never saw the number 4 on my clock at night!

15.6%
  3. 1-2 am: I can’t stand staying awake until 2.

28.1%
  4. 11-12 am: I’d be snoring by 12!

15.6%
  5. 9-10 pm: Duh! I’m asleep by 10 pm.

12.5%
  6. I DON'T SLEEP!... Well, I mean a few hours will do it no matter when.

9.4%
  1. Jul 16, 2010 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

Family call me an owl, I almost stay awake all night long. I don’t find it fancy though, especially when I'm not sleeping regular hours, the headaches just comes and goes, it feels just :URGH:. Heh, I can imagine myself having a fight with my profs just to not give me classes in the morning. :biggrin: Need to get rid of this bad... habit I guess.

What about you PFers?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've never been a morning person. I had afternoon kindergarten, so that was ok, but when I started 1st grade, the sleep problems became an issue. I thought people were insane to force themselves to get up so early. I couldn't think straight until noon.

4. Jul 16, 2010 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually sleep for more than one hour

5. Jul 16, 2010 #4
    I'm such a zombie in the morning, no amount coffee will keep me awake. From 11 pm to 2 am everything is so crystal clear. But unfortunately, the demands of the day require to wake up at 6 am, and go to sleep by 10 or 11 pm.

6. Jul 16, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to be a night person, and hated mornings. I had bad insomnia, especially as a kid.

When I fixed my sleep issues, low and behold I became a morning person! I did just what the docs say to do: reduce caffeine (two cups a day, rarely after noon), go to sleep at the same time *every* night, no TV or reading in bed, no exercise or eating too soon before bedtime...those kind things.

Now I'm usually in bed by 9, up by 5. Even on weekends (though I do sleep in sometimes...until maybe 6:00 or 6:30).

7. Jul 16, 2010 #6

Evo

You're lucky. My insomnia has progressed to the point that I cannot sleep more than 3 hours without waking up, and that's very rare to get 3 hours. I've undergone 2 sleep studies and they don't know what causes it. One of the nights I was waking up every 19 minutes, on average. And I took a sleeping pill that night. It should have knocked me out.

And yes, I am suffering from severe sleep deprivation.

8. Jul 16, 2010 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm a morning person.

I also have a loud coffee grinder, which makes mornings even more enjoyable.

9. Jul 16, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mine grinds at approximately the volume of a jet engine :surprised.

10. Jul 16, 2010 #9
    How do you stay alive and manage to do anything :bugeye:

I get insomnias but whenever I don't get sleep of more than 7 hours, I get very tired, and manage to get a very good sleep the following night.

11. Jul 16, 2010 #10

Evo

I'm out on disability right now for sleep deprivation, it's literally killing me.

12. Jul 16, 2010 #11
    I am a night person. I have been since I was young. I used to stay up all night and watch late night talk shows and the episodes of MASH that they show in the middle of the night. It gave me some problems with school. For years now I have been working night shifts though which has made it a lot easier.

13. Jul 16, 2010 #12
    I go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 2:30 am. I work from 4 am till 1pm. By Thursday, I am dead tired. I try not to nap, except on Fridays, so I can stay up late and sleep in on Saturday.

I have worked this shift, for 2 years now. I would of thought I would be use to it by now. The only good thing about it is by the time I really become alert {8am} half my day is over.

14. Jul 17, 2010 #13
    I am night person but my parents instituted the need to go to sleep early very strictly. I did not know that the world exist beyond 8 PM until I reached 15-16. I believe I just wanted to rebellious and started sleeping late (to like 10 PM). When I moved to college, it extended to 11-12 AM. Within a year I realized I could stay up all night.

15. Jul 17, 2010 #14

fluidistic

Gold Member

I usually go to bed between 1 am and 2 am. However I usually fall asleep between 3 and 4. When I have classes I'm so stressed (I've no idea why), I usually fall asleep between 4 am to 6 am. Last semester there were 2 days I couldn't sleep a single second, due to stress (no exam, no test, just a lab course).
    It's so hard to sleep, now on vacations I wake up between 12 and 1 pm. I call this period morning.
    Well now it's 2 am... and I'm not tired. I will study some complex analysis.

16. Jul 17, 2010 #15

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sometimes I almost convince myself that I'm allergic to mornings.

17. Jul 17, 2010 #16

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

This is actually very close to my schedule. I get up around 3:30 and am at work by 4:30. I'm usually eating lunch when everyone else is arriving. But, I get to leave around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

18. Jul 17, 2010 #17
    Normally I go to bed around 3-4 but recently I've been going out with friends and not getting back home until that time. Which case I go to bed closer to 5-6. Actually the other day we were out until 6:30 so we went to McDonalds for breakfast to end our day.

19. Jul 17, 2010 #18
    I've worked the same job for 6 years, waking up at about 4 AM every day. I don't think humans are meant to wake up that early. I can get 9 hours of sleep, wake up at 4, then be tired halfway through the day. On days I wake up at 8 AM; I wake up without an alarm clock, only have to get about 6 hours of sleep to be fine for the whole day, and I'm not tired later. Humans are meant to go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning when the sun comes out.

20. Jul 17, 2010 #19

turbo

Gold Member

I worked rotating shifts for 10 years in a pulp and paper mill - about half of the years on the Southern Swing (brutal!!!) and the later years working 12 hour rotating shifts, 3 days on and 3 days off. As a result of the discipline necessary to survive those, I can go to sleep about any time I want to, though I am a night-owl.

21. Jul 17, 2010 #20

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think is not uncommon for people our age. I sleep, maybe 3 +/- 1 hours between 1-4 am (or 12-5 am). I usually start waking up between 4-5.

This past week, I was awake between 3-5:30, and usually, if it's after 5 am, I'll get up and start working. Work hours this past week were 0600 until 2000-2400.

There are days when I'm sleep deprived.

22. Jul 17, 2010 #21
    Creative people tend to be nocturnal. Night time is the best time for unobstructed thinking. I remember a quotation about this- "All the great theorems were discovered after midnight". Recently, I read about the great musician-composer A.R Rehman and found that he has adapted himself to work throught the night and goes to bed only at morning.

Regarding the magnitude of sleeping theres a quotation by Arun Sarin (ex-CEO Vodafone, iit alumnus)- "Sleeping is a waste of time".

Also mystics have similar views about sleeping - "Don't go to sleep, do your duty; You have lot of time to be asleep when you move on to the grave"

23. Jul 17, 2010 #22
    Hmmm....I normally go to sleep between 3 and 7 am, and I wake up between 10:30 and 12:30 am....even on my 7am days. Maybe I should select the last option lol/

24. Jul 17, 2010 #23

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*Yawn**stretch*...it's 10 minutes to 8:00, the sun hasn't set yet...I'm getting sleepy...

25. Jul 17, 2010 #24
    No way Lisab!

26. Jul 17, 2010 #25

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oooh yeah...my bed is sooooo comfy....calling me now....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook