Are You Afraid Of Homosexuals?

• Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
In summary: No real issue. the worst point seem to be the social focus - although perhaps overdue, it's becoming perhaps far too extensive. For example, here in the UK recent legislation allows homosexual couples to be allowed the same rights as married heteros - yet I'm under the impression that co-habiting heteros don't have the same rights. In which case, there's the possibility of the fight against inequality creating its own inequality. Which is never helpful.Originally posted by drag
Zantra
Homosexuality seems to be a reccurring theme of late, so let's discuss it. Let's get it out in the open and talk about why people are opposed to gays. This post is not a roast, or a persecution of people's views, so keep that in mind when you post. It's just an honest and open discussion on why you're oppossed to homosexuality.

So what is it that you find intolerable? Is it the thoughts them mating? Is it the fear that they may turn people close to you, or yourself gay? is it that they will inflict their views upon you, even though you're not willing? Is it that they go against your religious beliefs, or moral standards?

Again we are not here to judge, simply to discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all, on the contrary, they seem totally disgusting
and pathetic to me. This is not a willfull emotion though,
just something natural that I can't control the same way
that one can't control the racial features of the females
that one prefers (color, general facial features and so on).
The willfull emotion is to simply ignore the sexual orientation
or sex of the person that I interact with, but you can
never totally ignore your instincts.

Live long and prosper.

Well first off i'd just like to say that I'm bisexual, and i never really feel too outcaste because of it. Partially because i hang with people who would accept me no matter what, and partially because people seem to find the idea of a bisexual teenage female very attractive. I'd almost prefer hatred and disgust directed at me than have perverted men pestering me about my experiences.

I think that behind all the hatred is just fear. And i also think that fear is rooted in ignorance. i think gay sex is no more disgusting than say oral sex. neither is 'natural' so to speak. both are just meant for pleasure and nothing more. our society just happens to accept oral sex better, at least in my generation. Sex is something continuously evolving in society. So long ago, just having sex as often as people do would be considered disgusting or pathetic. It's just a matter of time before something more controversial will come up and homosexuality will just be pushed to the back burner and tolerated.

After the Greeks and Romans and the imaginations of the Renaissance, we're still hung up on this same issue.

I used to object on religious grounds. I stuggled for a time with the question of genetics. Then I decided that even if it is genetic, homosexuality could still be a sin. Then I realized that sin is sin and it's not my place to judge...he who is without sin and all of that good stuff.

Maybe it is just as natural for some men to be insulted by the very notion of "gay", as it is for other men to be gay. I think we overplay the gay fear bit way, way too much.

At this point in my life, I don't give a sh_t. I try to focus on constructive issues rather than issues of judgment. Besides, though I be straight, I have liked most gay men and women that I've met. A couple of them have been very good friends.

When I was a teen in Los Angeles, I was approached and pressured in an inappropriate manner, by gay men, on three separate occasions. One time I really thought I was in trouble. This did not help with my previous attitude at all.

Last edited:
No real issue. the worst point seem to be the social focus - although perhaps overdue, it's becoming perhaps far too extensive. For example, here in the UK recent legislation allows homosexual couples to be allowed the same rights as married heteros - yet I'm under the impression that co-habiting heteros don't have the same rights. In which case, there's the possibility of the fight against inequality creating its own inequality. Which is never helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by drag
Not at all, on the contrary, they seem totally disgusting
and pathetic to me. This is not a willfull emotion though,
just something natural that I can't control the same way
that one can't control the racial features of the females
that one prefers (color, general facial features and so on).
The willfull emotion is to simply ignore the sexual orientation
or sex of the person that I interact with, but you can
never totally ignore your instincts.

Live long and prosper.

So then the question arises. Does that change your overall view of the person? If the person where say, a brilliant scientist, or a wealthy philanthropist. Or even if say, someone you looked up to or someone notable turned out to be homosexual- would that lessen your overall view of them? WOuld that take away from their accomplishments?
In other words is ojbectivity present where you can separate the personal from public?

Originally posted by Gale17
Well first off i'd just like to say that I'm bisexual, and i never really feel too outcaste because of it. Partially because i hang with people who would accept me no matter what, and partially because people seem to find the idea of a bisexual teenage female very attractive. I'd almost prefer hatred and disgust directed at me than have perverted men pestering me about my experiences.

I think that behind all the hatred is just fear. And i also think that fear is rooted in ignorance. i think gay sex is no more disgusting than say oral sex. neither is 'natural' so to speak. both are just meant for pleasure and nothing more. our society just happens to accept oral sex better, at least in my generation. Sex is something continuously evolving in society. So long ago, just having sex as often as people do would be considered disgusting or pathetic. It's just a matter of time before something more controversial will come up and homosexuality will just be pushed to the back burner and tolerated.

After the Greeks and Romans and the imaginations of the Renaissance, we're still hung up on this same issue.

I've always found that bisexuals face a double whammy of rejection not only from heterosexuals, but also from strictly gay people. The tend to view it as offensive."Make up their minds" is a theme that I've heard. I dated a woman whom I didn't know until after we started dating was Bi. Once I absorbed the idea,it was no different than hetero. We were in a manogomous relationship- which is the same weather you're bi or straight.

And no offense, but until you changed your avatar, I had the impression that you were male *shrug*

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
When I was a teen in Los Angeles, I was approached and pressured in an inappropriate manner, by gay men, on three separate occasions. One time I really thought I was in trouble. This did not help with my previous attitude at all.

You make a good point. I'm not sure how I'd feel if that had happened to me. I might be a lot less accepting than if my experiences hadn't been so positive, or at least not so negative.

Greetings !
Originally posted by Zantra
So then the question arises. Does that change your overall
view of the person?
In general, no. It really depends on the type of contact
with that person and who that person is and what he does.
If it's not someone that I interact with personally but rather
someone I just hear about then I really don't care, unless
that person tries to put the fact he's gay on display
and try to somehow take social "advantage" of this.
If it is someone I personally interact with I would
do my best to treat him like a regular person but I doubt
I'd try to make friends with him or something because
of what I mentioned above.
(BTW, since the thread referred to homosexuals in general
I'd like to say that I do not feel anything special at
all about lesbians as opposed to normal women.)

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by I, Brian
For example, here in the UK recent legislation allows homosexual couples to be allowed the same rights as married heteros - yet I'm under the impression that co-habiting heteros don't have the same rights. In which case, there's the possibility of the fight against inequality creating its own inequality. Which is never helpful. [/B]
I don't know specifically about the UK legislation, but nobody is asking for special treatment. What I bet the legislation actually says is a gay couple who has registered with the gov't, i.e. gotten what would be equivelant to a marriage license, is afforded the same protections/rights as a married couple. The US has one state with a "civil union" law (Vermont) under which gay couples can register their relationship with the state and get a certificate and are then treated mostly the same as a hetero married couple.

It does change my view of the person, but not necessarily in a bad way, just like any other fact I learn about someone changes my view of him. Am I afraid of homosexuals? No, but if I have a close friend who is a homosexual and I'm not aware of it, I might not like it. If we went camping together and shared a shower, surely he should've told me he's gay, right? With straight people this is not a problem, since men and women don't normally shower together, but with gay people, you usually have no way of telling. But no, I'm not "afraid of homosexuals", why should I be?

See the problem with that attitude is you're assuming that every gay guy automatically wants to have sex with every straight guy, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Gay guys are just as capable of restraining their emotions and natural urges as straight guys are, and I would argue even more so since most have to hide their true identities for at least a portion of their life.

I'm not afraid of homosexuals at all.

One of my best friends is gay, and I've known several others of both sexes through the years.

To be honest, I can't come up with a single reason why anyone should be afraid of them.

Propositioned? Say "not interrested, thanks"

Afraid they'll look at you "longingly"? Come on. What is there to be afraid about that?

Afraid you'll catch "the gay"? You need to get a grip.

Originally posted by tubedogg
See the problem with that attitude is you're assuming that every gay guy automatically wants to have sex with every straight guy, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Gay guys are just as capable of restraining their emotions and natural urges as straight guys are, and I would argue even more so since most have to hide their true identities for at least a portion of their life.
I never said gay people are whores that want to have sex with everything that moves. But it's quite natural for them to be physically attracted to other men - straight or gay - just like men are attracted to women and vice versa. This is exactly why a man and a woman who don't have feelings for each other won't decide suddenly to have a shower together, and I don't see why it should be any different with two gay men or a gay and a straight.

Originally posted by enigma
Afraid they'll look at you "longingly"? Come on. What is there to be afraid about that?
If I wanted to be a nude model I'd go to Playgirl... if I shower or even sleep in the same bed with a friend, it's not because I want to become his living fantasy. (Not that I'm the american idol or anything... but still. )

Originally posted by Chen
I never said gay people are whores that want to have sex with everything that moves. But it's quite natural for them to be physically attracted to other men - straight or gay - just like men are attracted to women and vice versa. This is exactly why a man and a woman who don't have feelings for each other won't decide suddenly to have a shower together, and I don't see why it should be any different with two gay men or a gay and a straight.
You're confusing having an attraction to someone with acting on that attraction. Just because you shower together does not mean the gay man is going to try to molest you.

You're confusing having an attraction to someone with acting on that attraction. Just because you shower together does not mean the gay man is going to try to molest you.
In that case, why don't all men and women shower together? I mean, they won't end up having sex... as a matter of fact, why should we even wear cloths - what is there to hide? If you don't mind being eyed by every person in the street, just walk naked (and hope for the best!). :)

In that case, why don't all men and women shower together? I mean, they won't end up having sex... as a matter of fact, why should we even wear cloths - what is there to hide? If you don't mind being eyed by every person in the street, just walk naked (and hope for the best!). :)
Why we wear clothes and don't shower together are issues that have very little to do with sexuality and a lot more to do with thousands of years of being taught to be ashamed of the naked human form.

I'm all for men women and showers

Why we wear clothes and don't shower together are issues that have very little to do with sexuality and a lot more to do with thousands of years of being taught to be ashamed of the naked human form.

There is a nudist movement where people go to these "communities" and do just that-walk around naked. And fron what I've read, contrary to popular believe, the men don't get aroused. After you get used to seeing something on a daily basis, It becomes routine and commonplace, so the naked human form becomes an everyday thing.

Of course, I bet it makes dating more interesting:wink:

What is homosexuality?

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation in which a person is attracted to individuals of the same gender as themselves.

Is homosexuality a choice?

No, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that sexual orientation is a choice. Many studies have shown that sexual orientation is determined by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors.

Is homosexuality a mental illness?

No, homosexuality is not considered a mental illness by the American Psychological Association. In 1973, they removed homosexuality from the list of mental disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Can homosexuality be "cured"?

No, there is no evidence to support the idea that homosexuality can be "cured." Attempts to change a person's sexual orientation, also known as conversion therapy, have been widely discredited and can be harmful to a person's mental health.

Are there health risks associated with homosexuality?

No, homosexuality itself is not a risk factor for any health issues. However, discrimination and stigma against LGBTQ+ individuals can lead to higher rates of mental health issues and reduced access to healthcare, which may impact overall health outcomes.