1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you allowed to apply for Math grad school if you are doing a double major in phys

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    I am just wondering this because I have not set on what to do for graduate school. Now if I go for theoretical physics and study Math and Physics, when it is time for me to apply to grad school, will I get to apply to a math grad school or will they not let me because my major is "theoretical physics (math and physics major)" and not "math major"

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
    Re: Are you allowed to apply for Math grad school if you are doing a double major in

If you have a good understanding of math, you should get in. Ideally, you want to take courses in group/ring/field theory, general topology, and a couple of courses in analysis, such as complex variables, functional analysis, and measure theory. These will give you a good background to take grad courses in mathematics and should complement your physics as well.

4. May 29, 2010 #3

eof

Re: Are you allowed to apply for Math grad school if you are doing a double major in

Well Edward Witten got into grad school in physics and he was an English major. It doesn't really matter as long as you have the prerequisites they expect.

5. May 29, 2010 #4

I thought he got a bachelor in history before he started physics

6. May 29, 2010 #5

^ with a minor in linguistics (according to Wikipedia).

7. May 30, 2010 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

You aren't even a first-year undergrad (says this post), I don't think you should worry too much about this stuff. If you major in math and physics, then in particular you major in math. It's that simple.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook