Can I Apply for Math Grad School with a Double Major in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of applying to a math graduate school with a major in theoretical physics. The speaker suggests taking courses in math to complement the physics major and mentions a successful example of an English major getting into a physics grad school. The conversation also addresses the concern of being a first-year undergrad and not needing to worry about this topic.
bignum
I am just wondering this because I have not set on what to do for graduate school. Now if I go for theoretical physics and study Math and Physics, when it is time for me to apply to grad school, will I get to apply to a math grad school or will they not let me because my major is "theoretical physics (math and physics major)" and not "math major"

Physics news on Phys.org

If you have a good understanding of math, you should get in. Ideally, you want to take courses in group/ring/field theory, general topology, and a couple of courses in analysis, such as complex variables, functional analysis, and measure theory. These will give you a good background to take grad courses in mathematics and should complement your physics as well.

Well Edward Witten got into grad school in physics and he was an English major. It doesn't really matter as long as you have the prerequisites they expect.

eof said:
Well Edward Witten got into grad school in physics and he was an English major. It doesn't really matter as long as you have the prerequisites they expect.

I thought he got a bachelor in history before he started physics

^ with a minor in linguistics (according to Wikipedia).

bignum said:
I am just wondering this because I have not set on what to do for graduate school.
You aren't even a first-year undergrad (says this post), I don't think you should worry too much about this stuff. If you major in math and physics, then in particular you major in math. It's that simple.

1. Can I apply for math grad school if I am double majoring in physics?

Yes, it is possible to apply for math grad school while double majoring in physics. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs or allow students to pursue graduate studies in a related field.

2. Will my physics major be considered in my math grad school application?

Yes, your physics major will be taken into consideration in your math grad school application. Admissions committees often look for well-rounded candidates with a strong foundation in both math and science.

3. Do I need to have a specific GPA in my physics major to be accepted into math grad school?

This varies by university and program, but generally a strong academic record in both math and physics will improve your chances of being accepted into math grad school.

4. Can I use my physics background to specialize in a certain area of math in grad school?

Yes, having a background in physics can be advantageous for specializing in certain areas of math such as mathematical physics, applied mathematics, or computational mathematics.

5. Will I need to take additional math courses if I am double majoring in physics?

This depends on your specific double major program and the requirements of the math grad school you are applying to. Some programs may require additional math courses, while others may accept your physics coursework as fulfilling certain requirements.