Are you ALWAYS curious/open for new knowledge?

• Thread starter powerflow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the speaker often feels overwhelmed by the amount of information they need to study for their mid-term exams in physics. They prefer to study at their own pace, but this often results in falling behind and feeling unmotivated. They find it frustrating that studying for exams can feel like a routine task instead of a passionate one. They also mention using physical exercise or meditation as a way to relax their mind.
powerflow
Hi, in mid-terms when I have to hand exercices weekly and have to prepare for examns (in Physics), I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of information. Very often when I go to a lecture I don't feel motivated because I am a couple of lectures behind. I really hate skipping things or scanning them superficially just to be somewhat prepared for the next lecture. I prefer studying them in my own pace, but my own pace is always slower than, say, four lectures a week.

That's why I often feel that when my mind is saturated, new things (even if they are actually very interesting) appear dull. I can never shake off that feeling in mid-terms. When I am studying a subject for an examn it's like routine, it's a must, a duty, a rational and not a passionate task. When I have no such obligation (e.g. in the course of a longer project) I am not afraid to skip things and to filter some aspect I am particularly interested in. But when it comes to examns, it seems impossible to do that, so I study subject by subect, page by page.

It's actually frustrating that when I study some of the most interesting things in physics (for the purpose of passing my examns), it's like a routine which (among other things) involves NOT missing out any details. It usually works very well (grade-wise), but apart from some beautiful glimpses (when I understand something I failed to understand the last couple of days), it's not very passionate, just routine.

Do you know that feeling?
What do you do to overcome it?

Physics news on Phys.org
powerflow said:
Do you know that feeling?
What do you do to overcome it?
I know the feeling, and I doubt I will ever overcome it. It's more a matter of satiating the desire to know everything there is to know about something. I'm inherently curious - and I probably think/wonder/ponder too much. I do filter subjects though.

Physical exercise (walking, running, cycling, soccer, hiking, . . . ) is one way to get one's mind to relax a bit. Otherwise there's meditation.

1. What is the importance of being curious and open to new knowledge as a scientist?

As a scientist, being curious and open to new knowledge is essential for the advancement of research and discovery. It allows us to challenge existing theories, explore new ideas, and make groundbreaking discoveries.

2. How do you stay curious and open to new knowledge in your field of study?

I stay curious and open to new knowledge by constantly reading and staying up-to-date on the latest research in my field. I also attend conferences and workshops to learn about new techniques and ideas. Additionally, collaborating with other scientists and discussing ideas helps to keep my mind open and curious.

3. Is curiosity and openness to new knowledge something that can be learned or is it an innate quality?

While some people may have a natural curiosity and openness to new knowledge, I believe it is a skill that can be learned and developed. By actively seeking out new information and experiences, we can train our minds to be more curious and open to learning.

4. How does being curious and open to new knowledge contribute to the scientific community?

Being curious and open to new knowledge not only benefits individual scientists, but it also contributes to the scientific community as a whole. It leads to new discoveries, advancements in technology, and a better understanding of the world around us.

5. Are there any downsides to being constantly curious and open to new knowledge?

While being curious and open to new knowledge is generally seen as a positive trait, it can also have its downsides. It can be overwhelming at times, especially when trying to keep up with the constant influx of new information. It can also lead to questioning established beliefs and theories, which can be unsettling for some individuals.