Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you ALWAYS curious/open for new knowledge?

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    Hi, in mid-terms when I have to hand exercices weekly and have to prepare for examns (in Physics), I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of information. Very often when I go to a lecture I don't feel motivated because I am a couple of lectures behind. I really hate skipping things or scanning them superficially just to be somewhat prepared for the next lecture. I prefer studying them in my own pace, but my own pace is always slower than, say, four lectures a week.

That's why I often feel that when my mind is saturated, new things (even if they are actually very interesting) appear dull. I can never shake off that feeling in mid-terms. When I am studying a subject for an examn it's like routine, it's a must, a duty, a rational and not a passionate task. When I have no such obligation (e.g. in the course of a longer project) I am not afraid to skip things and to filter some aspect I am particularly interested in. But when it comes to examns, it seems impossible to do that, so I study subject by subect, page by page.

It's actually frustrating that when I study some of the most interesting things in physics (for the purpose of passing my examns), it's like a routine which (among other things) involves NOT missing out any details. It usually works very well (grade-wise), but apart from some beautiful glimpses (when I understand something I failed to understand the last couple of days), it's not very passionate, just routine.

Do you know that feeling?
    What do you do to overcome it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I know the feeling, and I doubt I will ever overcome it. It's more a matter of satiating the desire to know everthing there is to know about something. I'm inherently curious - and I probably think/wonder/ponder too much. I do filter subjects though.

Physical exercise (walking, running, cycling, soccer, hiking, . . . ) is one way to get one's mind to relax a bit. Otherwise there's meditation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook