Are You An Introvert Or An Extrovert?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of introversion and extroversion and how they are perceived and defined. Some people believe that these are simply extended moods rather than personality types. Criteria for identifying oneself or others as introverted or extroverted include behavior in social situations, preference for alone time, and enjoyment of large gatherings. The conversation also touches on the idea that introversion and extroversion may exist on a spectrum rather than being strictly defined categories.
Jeff Ford said:
I'm generally introverted unless alcohol is involved

The way my wife explained it to me is that it's dependent on what recharges you. If you've had a long day at work and the first thing you want to do to unwind is spend time with a group, you're an extrovert. If, in the same situation, you just want to go home and be alone, you're an introvert.

well if your wife said so, it must be true eh?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff Ford said:
I'm generally introverted unless alcohol is involved

The way my wife explained it to me is that it's dependent on what recharges you. If you've had a long day at work and the first thing you want to do to unwind is spend time with a group, you're an extrovert. If, in the same situation, you just want to go home and be alone, you're an introvert.
What happens if either is okay? I just find that going home and being alone is usually the more available option...it's hard to find people willing to go out without pre-planning...maybe I just work with people who are mostly introverted? But, if I can wrangle up a few willing participants, then going out to play is a good way to put a rough day or week behind. Or, I can just go home and unwind with a hot bath or by cooking a nice dinner for myself.

Gale said:
by that, I'm mostly introverted unless I'm some odd mood. which happens, but majority of the time, I'm just polite and smile and that's about it. .. oh and i think the people who hug are nuts.
Crazier than those who hug are those people who want to kiss you anyway even if you swear you just catch a cold... :uhh:

franznietzsche said:
People who bring me food or coffee tend to randomly get hugs for it. one girl has lent me her espresso machine (which now resides in the Physics dpt student lounge). She's about four foot eleven, I'm six one, almost knocked her right over. Yeah, I'm nuts.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Not surprising if people wouldn't bring you anything after a while!

Lisa! said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Not surprising if people wouldn't bring you anything after a while!

Mostly they mail me stuff now :frown:

I'm supposed to be getting brownies...

I'm a hermit so I'll go with introverted.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Introverts that I know tend to have fewer friends. They may have several aqauintances but there are really only a few people that they keep in touch with and spend time with regularly. They may like crowds but more as observers than as participants. They tend not to talk much unless you happen to touch on something that is a particularly favoured topic, ground they feel they can tread confidently. Or if they are comfortable with a person and know them relatively well they may be more open and talkative. Around strangers they tend to keep quite and listen more than talk. The like going to places they know and generally feel out of place in places they have never been before.

Wow!...I think I fit every one of those criteria!
Does anyone who knows they are strongly introverted ever do well at pretending that they're extroverts, I wish that I could do myself but never have the bottle to try.

Last edited:
GregA said:
Wow!...I think I fit every one of those criteria!
Does anyone who knows they are strongly introverted ever do well at pretending that they're extroverts, I wish that I could do myself but never have the bottle to try.
Being introverted and being shy aren't exactly the same thing. I think you can be introverted but not necessarily shy. I think that being an introvert means mainly that your concern is with what's going on inside yourself. An extrovert is more focused on exterior things. They are certainly affected by what's going on inside them, but they aren't paying conscious attention to it, I think.

Being shy is to be particularly preoccupuied with the thought that you won't come off well in other's eyes. That's something that can be overcome. Overcoming it won't make you an extrovert, but you can be a lot more social and even occasionally gregarious.