"Strange Replies on PF: What's Behind It?"

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, sometimes people on the forums make strange and irrelevant posts that are difficult to understand. This can be due to a number of reasons, such as intentionally trying to confuse others, being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or having brain trauma or mental illness. It can also be attributed to language barriers, as some non-native English speakers may struggle to express their thoughts clearly. However, there are also instances where people are able to communicate better in different languages when under the influence. Overall, it can be frustrating and a waste of time for others when people make nonsensical posts, but it is important to remember that there may be underlying factors at play.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Sometimes PF'er say things which are too strange and impossible to understand! You know someone asks them something, but the answer to his/her question is really irrelevant to the question! :bugeye: Well it's obvious that sometimes people try to misunderstand others deliberately in order to have much fun or whatever else, but you can't really put some of the replies to this category. And you can't say it's my fault not to understand them in every case, because it usually happens to others too. Do do you agree it happens not often but sometimes?

Let's forget about what I said before, because I'm going to give another evidence:
Sometimes people say things and talk in a way that only a drunk person could speak like that. Agree?

Now I want to ask whether you're drinking(or are drunk) while visiting PF or not! And do you have any other reasons for why some members' posts don't make sense to anyone? o:)

What do you think of my imagination? Do you think I was drunk when I started this thread because it almost doesn't make sense! :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure your not drunk

What do you think? Does what I said above make sence?

Oh you never make any sense but we all still love you

*pats you on the back*

:rofl: :rofl: There are 2 posibilities:
1)I'm alway drunk.
2)You're always drunk.

There not mutually exclusive :D

Well I think what a drunk says, makes sense to another drunk, am I wrong? :wink:

I'd hate to find out that a lot of academic guidance and strong scientific discussion was shared from a bunch of drunken scholars. :)

Although, if that were the case, I think someone would have found out a while ago. *gives Lisa! a breathalyzer*

That is true z-component... now could you please remind me... how do you say a-z backwards? And could you walk this line real quick...

z-component said:
I'd hate to find out that a lot of academic guidance and strong scientific discussion was shared from a bunch of drunken scholars. :)
I won't mention Winston Churchill and Erwin Schrödinger, which I just did, but yeah sometimes on GD and in the PF Lounge, it is completely unreadable.

z-component said:
Wait a minute. I never find any irrelevant post in serious discussions out of GD. What I'm saying is only about GD and if anyone would ever say things like that about other serious forums, I go to the conclusion that person must be drunk or crazy.

hi guys I am drunk

whozum said:
hi guys I am drunk
I like your honesty. Could you please speak more?

hey umm, yeah sure? how are you?

As a matter of fact, once in a while someone who is posting drunk is so drunk they mention how drunk they are. In GD, anyway. It is clear from the quality of there posts in other forums that they are also posting drunk there. This is a waste of everyone's time.

At other times, there have been people here who seemed drunk or on drugs, but who eventually mentioned they had some kind of brain trauma; one was recovering from a stroke, and the other had been in a serious car accident.

Sometimes non-english speaking people post WAY before their English is good enough to express their concepts, and some people seem to have both that problem and some kind of brain trauma, mental illness, or are drunk. It's really had to sort out what the heck is behind some of the more bizarre posts.

I have a hang-over, does that count? :tongue:

zoobyshoe said:
As a matter of fact, once in a while someone who is posting drunk is so drunk they mention how drunk they are. In GD, anyway. It is clear from the quality of there posts in other forums that they are also posting drunk there. This is a waste of everyone's time.

At other times, there have been people here who seemed drunk or on drugs, but who eventually mentioned they had some kind of brain trauma; one was recovering from a stroke, and the other had been in a serious car accident.

Sometimes non-english speaking people post WAY before their English is good enough to express their concepts, and some people seem to have both that problem and some kind of brain trauma, mental illness, or are drunk. It's really had to sort out what the heck is behind some of the more bizarre posts.
So what's you're excuse? :biggrin:

Sorry, I just had to do that.

Iem noht drnk. :uhh:

Pengwuino said:
Are you sure your not drunk
Lisa! I apologize, in pengwuino's drinkeness, he forgot his proper spelling and really meant to say:

Pengwuino said:
Are you sure you're not drunk?

jeg er heller ikke full.

yomamma, at least I'm sure you're not drunk because your posts always make sense to me. But I don't know why my posts usually don't make sense to you and just make you confused! :uhh:

arildno said:
jeg er heller ikke full.
No need to admit that, arildno. It's difficult to speak a language other than your mother language when someone's drunk. :wink:

Lisa! said:
yomamma, at least I'm sure you're not drunk because your posts always make sense to me. But I don't know why my posts usually don't make sense to you and just make you confused! :uhh:

No need to admit that, arildno. It's difficult to speak a language other than your mother language when someone's drunk. :wink:
Contrary to that theory, I have personally experienced moments in both the Philippines and in China when people of differing language somehow magically are able to communicate better in each other's languages when drunk.

Has anyone experienced this before?

The inhibitions drop, tones magiacally arrive at the right place at the right time.

The Smoking Man said:
Contrary to that theory, I have personally experienced moments in both the Philippines and in China when people of differing language somehow magically are able to communicate better in each other's languages when drunk.

Has anyone experienced this before?

The inhibitions drop, tones magiacally arrive at the right place at the right time.
First ask arildno if I understood what he means, then I...

I've made a couple of drunk posts before here at PF

GCT said:
I've made a couple of drunk posts before here at PF
Where I can find them? :rolleyes:

I was last night, i am not at the moment but will be in about 2 hours time!

I posted drunk the other night. I don't think that there will be anything very entertaining about it except that I think I was a bit more long winded than I really needed to be. That happens when I'm sober too though. It may have been a bit entertaining watching me type though.

I don't remember if I posted the other night when I came home drunk. :biggrin: :redface: That would have been Thursday night when I was taken out for cake, then drinks, the dinner with drinks, then more cake. I don't try to answer any serious topics if I'm drunk though, just GD goofing around. It does take me about 3 times as long to type out my responses though because I make a lot of typos!

I swear to drunk I'm not god!

I think the last time I was even close to being drunk was about three years ago.

wine country must suck then

I never said I don't drink. I just don't see much point in getting wasted, so I rarely do.

Also, if I am going to drink heavily, it isn't going to be wine. The best stuff for that is high-quality vodka, hands down. No matter how much of that I drink, I've never gotten sick and never gotten a hangover. Wine is to enhance meals and for breakfast when there is no food around.

The breakfast of Champagnes.

So when is Greg going to get that groaning head shaking smiley?

TheStatutoryApe said:
The breakfast of Champagnes.

So when is Greg going to get that groaning head shaking smiley?
Good idea. But well I hope people wouldn't pretend to be drunk and then say whatever they want! :uhh:

We need to have some people submit some smilies to greg, and see what he thinks

yomamma said:
We need to have some people submit some smilies to greg, and see what he thinks
I suggested some, but I think they got buried because they came up in another thread in feedback (was it the guru thread?). One was the groaning smiley, and the other was a puppy dog eyes smiley that HRW requested. I also thought we should switch the blue "cool" smiley that's in the post icons with the orange one that looks like a sunburnt Russ instead of cool. :biggrin: