Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you for or against the war with Iraq

1. For - I am 10-18 years of age.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. For - I am 19-25 years of age.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. For - I am 26-30 years of age.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. For - I am 31-35 years of age.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. For - I am 36+ years of age.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Against - I am 10-18 years of age.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Against - I am 19-25 years of age.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. Against - I am 26-30 years of age.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Against - I am 31-35 years of age.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. Against - I am 36+ years of age.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 20, 2003 #1
    This poll is designed to determine what, if any, demographic differences there are between people of differing opinions about the US led war with Iraq. In particular, this poll will show the age distribution of those for and against the war.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2003 #2
    While I will propose a hypothesis that I think will be boltstered by the results of this poll, I don't want to skew the results by posting it now. After a reasonable number of people have participated, I'll let yall have it!:smile:

4. Mar 21, 2003 #3
    Okay. I give up. Nobody wants to participate. Could it be because the truth might be revealed?

My hypothesis is that what drives most anti-war sentiment is the misplaced altruism of youth. Translation - Most of the anti-war crowd is relatively young, and unexperienced in the true ways of the world, and tend to cast their pearls before swine. If the religious tone of that last statement bothers you, bite me.

Rather than squeal at me for my opinion, vote in the poll and prove me wrong.

5. Mar 21, 2003 #4
    you know it is funny because your hypothesis has the same conclusion as mine but i see the reasoning is because cynicism is something that is developed over years of not standing up for ones self and developing a selfish attitude and an general distrust for humanity. i am 27, and looking around at my generation it seems i am holding out longer than most.:wink:

6. Mar 21, 2003 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hey, I voted. Want to know what I voted for? Is there a doubt?

7. Mar 21, 2003 #6
    Need more data! Please vote!:wink:

8. Mar 21, 2003 #7

FZ+

The young are not always wrong. Same vice versa.
    A similar argument can be made is that what drives pro-war sentiment is the senility and cynical pessimism of old age. Translation: You are old. You are going to die soon. You want everyone to die too.

Alternative arguments are:
    The reason why the young are more anti-war is that they have a greater hope for the future. They feel that it's their role to forge their own future, and that they don't want it to mess it up for them. Or that they, having never lived through the war themselves, are not accustomed to the horrors. Or that youth typically represents progress. They see the past and feel they could have done better.

The reason why older people are pro-war is that they have lived through wars themselves. They know more about the reality of conflict, and trust more in the capability of the military. They tend to believe in more of what has been tried and tested, and have little trust of new methods.

All of these reasons are apparently equally valid from a simple statistical study. A poll gives no idea which of the mechanisms are in play, and hence no real conclusions. Do we really need to employ ageism? Patronising people, both because they are older and because they are younger is not a valid form of argument. In fact, it is completely meaningless except as flame bait.

9. Mar 22, 2003 #8
    I think if you could put wisdom in a jar, older people could fill more jars than younger people. Wouldn't you agree?

10. Mar 22, 2003 #9
    Your poll seems to suggest that people above 36, ie the group 36 to death, is one big blob of homogeneity. I don't want to be bracketed with the 80+ and 90+ group.

11. Mar 22, 2003 #10

na, i think people get set in their was though time so while they learn from experiance they also suffer from being misslead by it. in the long run age has little to do with ones wisdom from what i have seen.

12. Mar 22, 2003 #11
    N_Quire,

Jump into the blob already!

13. Mar 22, 2003 #12
    I shouldn't vote but one question:

What if you're neutral in your stance on this issue?

14. Mar 22, 2003 #13

drag

Science Advisor

Greetings Alias !

I don't think it's going to work here but in general
    I think it's quite clear and visible who the
    protesters are - some stupid children out or just
    out of high-school (believe me - some of those are
    always "supposedly" pacificits until they grow up
    and realize what the world is really like) and
    muslims (not much I can say about those, can I...).

Live long and prosper.

15. Mar 22, 2003 #14
    Saddam must be stopped.

16. Mar 22, 2003 #15
    Nothing that 50 pushups and some mess hall duty wouldn't cure.

17. Mar 23, 2003 #16
    well, the more miseries you have seen in your life, the more hopeless you become.(supporting war is hopelessness because i believe that all means (including assassinating SH)have NOT been tried with full enthu)
    also, older people tend to be more conservative in the following sense as many- many psychological tests have shown.
    conservative here means that as your mother (or father) gets older s/he cares more about your toothache than neighbour's child's.you tend to care more about the miseries you have seen very closely( ~ WTC) than those that are far away( iraqui children getting killed in the present war.I DONT buy the idea of 'liberation' anymore as i have seen afghanistan.)
    this is not meanness or bad thing in the usual connotation as you have been conditioned badly for this thruout your life---- you come to realise that this attitude is more practical for maintaining more satisfactory emotional relations with your family and friends.

no offence intented, just some thoughts.
    btw,i voted against the war.

cheers :smile:

18. Mar 23, 2003 #17

FZ+

Of course, can I casually make another observation: While anti-war occupies a good spread of the people in this forum, why is it that there are so few people young and pro-war? It's not neccessarily a matter of not enough old people anti-war, but a lack of young people pro-war?

19. Mar 24, 2003 #18
    Youthful idealism? Unfamiliar with the truths of human nature? Don't know their ass from a hole in the ground?

20. Mar 24, 2003 #19
    If I'm not mistaken, this thread is another excuse for certain people to insult the character of those who disagree with them. Alias, watch yourself.

21. Mar 24, 2003 #20
    Here we go again.

To argue that younger people are smarter and wiser than older people is exactly the ignorance of youth.

Certainly I can run a computer better than my father can, but he certainly has more insight in the human condition than I, based on the simple fact that he has been observing it longer than I have.

Now of course you can argue that some younger people (under 30) are smarter and more wise than some older people (30+). However, they are in the minority. It is only the ignorance and inexperience of youth that blinds people to this fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?