Is toxic cookware putting us at risk?

• News
  • Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary: I don't remember, but it something along the lines of "you don't smell bad, you must not be sweating" Shut up smurf. You're ruining our plot to kill everyone whos stupid enough to buy off infomercials.
Smurf
Cause I'm not. I'm scared of my room mate man. I saw her eating pancakes this morning, looked at her pan and man that's ****ing disgusting. The teflon is all scratched off and coming off, it's getting in her food. That stuff is close to the most toxic stuff in consumer products today, why is it still ****ing legal? I ran my finger along it, what did I feel? A soft, fuzzy sensation - sh'es eating that! :yuck: All This toxic **** we use in our daily lives now, and no one's telling us the proper way to use it, I tried telling her that it was unhealthy and she just shook her head and said "I'm not bothered" it's not a problem for her, you see she's been using that pan for years now and it hasn't hurt her since, nevermind that this is coming from a girl with an obsessive-compulsive disorder, who had cancer when she was 12 and has to take 3 kinds of pills (she's only 18 for christs sake, she was born a day before I was).

All this **** in our lives and the fact that not only are we not being told how dangerous it, it's actually being advertised on TV (that's right! all those 'non-stick' cooking utilities being advertised. Teflon!) That's what scares me man. There's not even any real way to recycle them when they do get out of condition. And if we throw it away it pollutes the world and takes years to break down. That's what's ****ing scaring me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shut up smurf. You're ruining our plot to kill everyone whos stupid enough to buy off infomercials.

How about this one.

Study Finds Record High Levels of Toxic Fire Retardants in Breast Milk from American Mothers.

Or: MTBE found in drinking water

Or: Rocket fuel found in lake mead

Or: Mercury found in fish

We can't win

I haven't seen a new teflon coated pan in forever. I see these nonstick ones but they aren't made the same way where the teflon or whatever comes off like that.

I'm not scared of terrorism. I'm more scared of getting hit by a bus on my way to class, because it's thousands of times more likely. If you let yourself get all worked up about terrorism, the terrorists have already won.

I predict post #5 will be where this thread loses control of itself because smurf picks a dumb title.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I haven't seen a new teflon coated pan in forever. I see these nonstick ones but they aren't made the same way where the teflon or whatever comes off like that.
:rolleyes: Maybe it's aluminium. That's a big improvement.

You guys need to buy those oh so amazing kitchen utensils you see on tv. "Who doesn't have problems flipping eggs? With this overpriced piece of plastic, your incompetant ass will be able to actually flip an egg or a pancake for once".

Personally I prefer the old cast iron ones, that are actually decent quality. Stainless steel isn't bad either.

I hate the ones with the grooves in them. Somehow that is supposed to keep things from sticking but things always get stuck to it anyway. And they are a pain to clean.

Smurf said:
:rolleyes: Maybe it's aluminium. That's a big improvement.
Nah, that's in your deodorant and is linked to alzheimers.
Pengwuino said:
You guys need to buy those oh so amazing kitchen utensils you see on tv. "Who doesn't have problems flipping eggs? With this overpriced piece of plastic, your incompetant ass will be able to actually flip an egg or a pancake for once".
:rofl: Someone's been watching too many infomercials...Hah, your plot to take over the world backfired.

Edit: I'm not afraid of terrorists except those in my own government.

SOS2008 said:
Nah, that's in your deodorant and is linked to alzheimers.

At least ill smell good when i forget who my family are :rolleyes:

And the only terrorists I am scared of are democrats.

I don't wear deodorant. It's stupid. If you smell that bad take a shower, don't put some paste on your skin that just clogs your pores. Sweating is healthy and a vital part of your body's functions.

Smurf said:
Personally I prefer the old cast iron ones, that are actually decent quality. Stainless steel isn't bad either.
Is the Iron that gets in your food from the pan supplementing daily intake?

No, I take multi-vitamins for any supplements I need.

Smurf said:
I don't wear deodorant. It's stupid. If you smell that bad take a shower, don't put some paste on your skin that just clogs your pores. Sweating is healthy and a vital part of your body's functions.
I don't either, and interestingly enough I have had one woman tell me I needed some deodorant, and another tell me I smelled good. Two separate instances on the same morning. I found that to be good information. Reinforces my belief in honesty.

I will never wear deodorant for a woman, and I don't ever expect one to wear any for me. It's unnatural, there's nothing wrong with body odur. But I'm going to get so many distastefull replies for saying that, because society is so ingrained into thinking that odur is evil and you need to cover it up with whatever you can.

Smurf said:
I will never wear deodorant for a woman, and I don't ever expect one to wear any for me. It's unnatural, there's nothing wrong with body odur. But I'm going to get so many distastefull replies for saying that, because society is so ingrained into thinking that odur is evil and you need to cover it up with whatever you can.
I suspect your room mate has more to complain about than you do Smurf :tongue:
Perhaps she thinks eating teflon will coat her taste glands and so counteract odours?

I'm not so sure Teflon is so deadly though, as wasn't G W Bush dipped in it as a baby? That's why they can never make any of the allegations against him stick. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:

Pengwuino, remember this when you are arguing on an Internet forum: zingers aren't points. Just because you can launch ad hominems doesn't mean you've contributed anything.

Having said that, I cannot live without my Teflon-coated pants.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The cheap ones (the only ones poor people can afford) are sold in department stores here in Australia. They degenerate pretty easily too.

alex

More seriously, Smurf - no, this 'terrorism' thing is a manufactured fear. It has been, IMO, carefully designed and nurtured to justify some huge social changes that limit the freedom of citizens to exercise previously taken-for-granted democratic rights. It is also used to justify wars that are fought for other reasons (IMO - I don't want to hijack the thread!).

What I'm terrified of is how climate scientists are warning us openly (and risking their careers to do so) that we are now witnessing rapid climate change and that we need to do something about it *now*. What terrifies me is that the most powerful governments in the world are ignoring these warnings, falisifying scientific reports to justify ignoring them, etc.

alex

alexandra said:
The cheap ones (the only ones poor people can afford) are sold in department stores here in Australia. They degenerate pretty easily too.

alex
Maybe they should form a workers cooperative and club together to buy a better one between them :biggrin: lol

BTW Are you looking forward to the final test match tomorrow. It'll be great to see the Poms beat the whinging Aussies in the ashes series. :biggrin: not so much because I support England I just love watching Ricky Ponting throw a tantrum when he loses. :tongue2:

As far as the OP goes I spend about the same time worrying about terrorism as I do about having a giant meteor hit me on the head. :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
BTW Are you looking forward to the final test match tomorrow. It'll be great to see the Poms beat the whinging Aussies in the ashes series. :biggrin: not so much because I support England I just love watching Ricky Ponting throw a tantrum when he loses. :tongue2:
That's just not cricket, Art :smile:
Art said:
As far as the OP goes I spend about the same time worrying about terrorism as I do about having a giant meteor hit me on the head. :uhh:
Me too - except when I'm worrying about state-initiated terrorism (and no, everybody, I will not get into a big discussion about that! Just saying what I worry about...)

Skyhunter said:
I don't either, and interestingly enough I have had one woman tell me I needed some deodorant, and another tell me I smelled good. Two separate instances on the same morning. I found that to be good information. Reinforces my belief in honesty.
lol Are you sure it wasn't a punctuation error. Maybe it was two sentences "You smell." and then "Good." (referring to something else entirely) :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
You like cricket art? :-) nice!

Would be nice if England win for a change!

Smurf said:
Are you scared of terror?

I'm not scared of terrorism itself, just what it makes politicians do.

Anttech said:
You like cricket art? :-) nice!

Would be nice if England win for a change!
Well they're one up with one to go so they can't actually lose this time. :approve:
There's a lot of rain around the British Isles at the moment which will suit England as it could force a draw.

If England do win the series I wonder which country Ponting and his team will seek asylum in :biggrin:

SpaceTiger said:
I'm not scared of terrorism itself, just what it makes politicians do.
Well said.
Pengwuino said:

I am shaking in my shoes that the massive hoards of heavily armed Democrats will march to the hill and take over the country too. Right. :rolleyes:

I'm scared of Girl Scouts. They stalk me and throw boxes of thin mints and malamars and shortbread cookies at me... Do you know how bad those things are for you? I can't help eating box after box after box though. Damn Girl Scouts! They hide in malls and just inside of supermarkets and at the bank and on campus and at work for gods sake! You can't avoid them---you can't.

The likelihood of a terrorist attack on me is far less than of being mobbed by doe-eyed 8 y/o girls and their little boxes of heart attacks and obesity.

Revolt Against The Girl Scouts!

They are not terrorists..

I am scared of Penqwino.

Does that count?

Smurf said:
That is what I meant by honesty. If I were hiding my body odor I would have not have known that the first woman and I were incompatible. (Not that I found either of them terribly interesting.)

Skyhunter said:
I am scared of Penqwino.

Does that count?
Yes, he terrorizes us all.

Look at your hypocrites, ganging up on Pengwuino for making a witty reponse to SOS' claim that the only terrorists she is afraid of are in the US government. What? Her statement counts as a legitimate point, but his is just an "ad hominem zinger?"